RX 580 - Mojave boots to black screen

noisegate

37 posts in this topic

Hi all,

My rig: i7-4930k / X79 Deluxe / Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ 4GB / PSU be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 750W

Like many others I'm getting a black screen when Mojave 10.4.2 boots (I tried with HDMI, DVI and DP to DVI)

I'm starting to feel out of options, it's supposed to work OOB

Did anyone with the same card and problem manage to fix it?

Here is a dump after @MaLd0n kindly offered to help: send_me.zip

Current BIOS settings:

— ADVANCED —

Hyper-threading > Disabled
Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology > Enabled
Turbo Boost > Enabled
Support C1E > Enabled
Intel (R) VT-d > Disabled
SATA: AHCI mode
EHCI Hand-off > Enabled

— BOOT — 

Fast Boot > Disabled
CSM > Disabled
Secure Boot > Other OS

Thanks for the help

Edited by noisegate

21 minutes ago, noisegate said:

Hi all,

My rig: i7-4930k / X79 Deluxe / Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ 4GB / PSU be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 750W

Like many others I'm getting a black screen when Mojave 10.4.2 boots (I tried with HDMI, DVI and DP to DVI)

I'm starting to feel out of options, the card is supposed to work OOB

Did anyone with the same card and problem manage to fix it?

Here is a dump after @MaLd0n kindly offered to help: send_me.zip

Current BIOS settings:

— ADVANCED —

Hyper-threading > Disabled
Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology > Enabled
Turbo Boost > Enabled
Support C1E > Enabled
Intel (R) VT-d > Disabled
SATA: AHCI mode
EHCI Hand-off > Enabled

— BOOT — 

Fast Boot > Disabled
Boot Logo Display > Disabled
POST time > 1
CSM > Disabled
Secure Boot > Other OS

Thanks for the help

Why is Hyper-threading > Disabled? None of these settings effect GPU at all.

Edited by Pavo

36 minutes ago, Pavo said:

Why is Hyper-threading > Disabled?

I noticed better performances in Logic Pro. Is it preferable to leave it enabled?

37 minutes ago, Pavo said:

None of these settings effect GPU at all.

I mainly posted my BIOS settings in case someone spotted a conflict. Some did solve the same problem by disabling CSM for instance, which I had enabled for my previous HD 6870. Disabling it didn't change anything on my side, though.

Thanks

1 hour ago, noisegate said:

it's supposed to work OOB

Yes it does, but back then when I used RX 480 I had same issue then WEG and Lilu kexts came out and fixed the problem, I don't know if its still the case because it was about one year from now, Lilu and WEG are needed anyway.

Is this a fresh install with the 580, or you had Nvidia before?

Can you upload your EFI folder to see what's missing or wrong? at least to see if the problem is in the EFi, if not then its in the BIOS.

43 minutes ago, C.Frio said:

Hi  .. 

And what about internal graphic support,on bios settings,?

C.frio

Hi C.Frio, unless I missed it there is no such option in the X79 Deluxe BIOS. I suppose the iGPU is automatically disabled if a card is spotted?

30 minutes ago, RandomTech said:

Yes it does, but back then when I used RX 480 I had same issue then WEG and Lilu kexts came out and fixed the problem, I don't know if its still the case because it was about one year from now, Lilu and WEG are needed anyway.

Is this a fresh install with the 580, or you had Nvidia before?

Can you upload your EFI folder to see what's missing or wrong? at least to see if the problem is in the EFi, if not then its in the BIOS.

Hi RandomTech, I have both WEG and Lilu installed, @MaLd0n kindly provided the appropriate Clover folder. I posted a full dump in my initial post if you would like to check it.

It's a fresh install made with a HD6870. I can't boot the USB partition either with the RX580, the best I got was a scrambled logo screen.

I can't think of a BIOS setting that might conflict. This setup worked flawlessly with the HD6870 on 10.11 and 10.12

Thank you very much

Edited by noisegate

hi...

maybe with this approach "It's a fresh install made with a HD6870, maybe I should reinstall with the RX580?" can solve the issues

just to inform...I do have rx 460 and rx 560 running Mojave..I do not use lilu or weg...on a z97 and on a z370

c.frio 

49 minutes ago, noisegate said:

Hi C.Frio, unless I missed it there is no such option in the X79 Deluxe BIOS. I suppose the iGPU is automatically disabled if a card is spotted?

Hi RandomTech, I have both WEG and Lilu installed, @MaLd0n kindly provided the appropriate Clover folder. I posted a full dump in my initial post if you would like to check it.

It's a fresh install made with a HD6870. I can't boot the USB partition either with the RX580, the best I got was a scrambled logo screen.

I can't think of a BIOS setting that might conflict. This setup worked flawlessly with the HD6870 on 10.11 and 10.12

Thank you very much

Of course Mald0n is the guy who helps us all and his knowledge is far much better than me :D no comparison there.

Did you ever try to change the SMBIOS from MacPro6,1 to iMac 14,2 or 15,1 ?

Otherwise find a tutorial with hardware similar to yours and use their CLOVER folder, this has helped me a lot in my Hackintosh journey.

Edit: I don't know if your DSDT was before RX 580 or after, either way remove it and try to boot.

same case with SSDT I boot my 4790K system without SSDT anymore because it was needed on earlier versions and still have speed steps and powermanagment ok, try to remove them both.

Edited by RandomTech

26 minutes ago, RandomTech said:

Of course Mald0n is the guy who helps us all and his knowledge is far much better than me :D no comparison there.

Did you ever try to change the SMBIOS from MacPro6,1 to iMac 14,2 or 15,1 ?

Otherwise find a tutorial with hardware similar to yours and use their CLOVER folder, this has helped me a lot in my Hackintosh journey.

That’s the thing, I couldn’t find someone with both a RX580 and a X79 MoBo.

Enabling multi-threading allowed to get a loading bar at logo, but it stops at 2/3rd. With multi-threading disabled I can’t see the loading bar but the OS does load. But then I get a black screen. Some people reported they could log in if screen sharing in that scenario.

Here’s what I’m getting in verbose before the computer hangs:

F8B834C8-CD4D-41EE-8398-A35AE1F46BA9.thumb.jpeg.ebed2d0059f153d835cd62392ea2fe5f.jpeg

Edited by noisegate

1 hour ago, Gigamaxx said:

@Pavo another Ledacy board?   No UEFI compatibility?

For a board to not have UEFI compatibility doesn't mean that the GPU will not work with it. You might not get a boot screen if the GPU doesn't have a GOP embedded into the firmware but when the OS boots it will still work.

That’s the thing, I couldn’t find someone with both a RX580 and a X79 MoBo.

Enabling multi-threading allowed to get a loading bar at logo, but it stops at 2/3rd. With multi-threading disabled I can’t see the loading bar but the OS does load. But then I get a black screen. Some people reported they could log in if screen sharing in that scenario.

Here’s what I’m getting in verbose before the computer hangs:

F8B834C8-CD4D-41EE-8398-A35AE1F46BA9.thumb.jpeg.ebed2d0059f153d835cd62392ea2fe5f.jpeg

Upload your entire EFI folder please.

Edited by Pavo

15 minutes ago, Pavo said:

For a board to not have UEFI compatibility doesn't mean that the GPU will not work with it. You might not get a boot screen if the GPU doesn't have a GOP embedded into the firmware but when the OS boots it will still work.

Upload your entire EFI folder please.

This board does have UEFI compatibility, though: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X79DELUXE/specifications/

Maybe it's too old nevertheless?

Here is my EFI folder:

ttps://wetransfer.com/downloads/db883102976784402e7f5560331f7b0320181221175029/37b30dcf1ff57ccbeecbe820948941c720181221175029/cce4c4

Thanks for your time

This board does have UEFI compatibility, though: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X79DELUXE/specifications/

Maybe it's too old nevertheless?

Here is my EFI folder:

ttps://wetransfer.com/downloads/db883102976784402e7f5560331f7b0320181221175029/37b30dcf1ff57ccbeecbe820948941c720181221175029/cce4c4

Thanks for your time

Made some changes, please test this EFO on a USB first. DO not add/delete or edit anything. If you can not boot please boot with verbose and upload a picture of where it gets stuck or panics.

noisegate_EFI.zip

1 hour ago, Pavo said:

Made some changes, please test this EFO on a USB first. DO not add/delete or edit anything. If you can not boot please boot with verbose and upload a picture of where it gets stuck or panics.

noisegate_EFI.zip

Thanks a lot Pavo, I'll put the RX580 back in in a few minutes and let you know.

I shouldn't keep the APPLE folder, then?

Edited by noisegate

Pavo, you nailed it :)

Can you please tell me what the problem was?

Should I keep using your EFI without adding the APPLE folder?

Thanks a ton, I'll let you know how things go from here!

EDIT:

- Only front panel USB 2 works, no USB 3, no rear panel USB

- I can only wake from screensaver with the mouse wheel. Mouse buttons or keyboard keys don't work.

Edited by noisegate

The x79 boards can be tricky. 

My build:

Biostar T-Power x79 mobo

Xeon E5-1650

nVidia Quadro P2000

Sapphire 7950

Mojave 10.14.2

Since the Xeon does not have integrated graphics, I learned that getting MacOS to install is a bit difficult.  The Biostar board is surprisingly compliant for starting and installing successfully on the base level.

Initially I was booting straight to black screen with the 7950. So I tried the nVidia card.

I was successfully able to get everything installed with the nVidia card, but it has no drivers.

Tried a friends RX 480, thinking the 7950 might be too legacy, but same exact thing, straight to black screen right when the login should appear.

Some research later i found out that it might be trying to default to the igpu, but since none exists, and there are no options in the BIOS for this, it goes black. VNC viewer shows that the machine is up and running fine, as I can remote to it, just no display.

Keeping the nVidia card in PCI slot 1, and the 7950 in slot 2 is a workaround.  I have DP to monitor from nVidia, and then HDMI from the 7950.  I stay on the DP input while booting, and when it looks like it is stuck, I switch inputs and viola!, the 7950 is working just fine.

Need adjustments to the arrangement of the monitors in Display Properties and such, but it works fine.  I have a Dell U3415W, and the 7950 over HDMI does 3440x1440/60hz just fine.  I think everything is working as expected.  The geekbench OpenCL numbers are in line with baseline benchmarks.

This is a real odd solution to not having an igpu.  Is there an proper fix to this black screen issue with AMD cards and non-igpu capable processors?

I still have some tweaking to do as sleep does not work on this system, and probably some other random things, but otherwise it is quite rock solid and stable so far.

7 minutes ago, Boforums said:

The x79 boards can be tricky. 

My build:

Biostar T-Power x79 mobo

Xeon E5-1650

nVidia Quadro P2000

Sapphire 7950

Mojave 10.14.2

Since the Xeon does not have integrated graphics, I learned that getting MacOS to install is a bit difficult.  The Biostar board is surprisingly compliant for starting and installing successfully on the base level.

Initially I was booting straight to black screen with the 7950. So I tried the nVidia card.

I was successfully able to get everything installed with the nVidia card, but it has no drivers.

Tried a friends RX 480, thinking the 7950 might be too legacy, but same exact thing, straight to black screen right when the login should appear.

Some research later i found out that it might be trying to default to the igpu, but since none exists, and there are no options in the BIOS for this, it goes black. VNC viewer shows that the machine is up and running fine, as I can remote to it, just no display.

Keeping the nVidia card in PCI slot 1, and the 7950 in slot 2 is a workaround.  I have DP to monitor from nVidia, and then HDMI from the 7950.  I stay on the DP input while booting, and when it looks like it is stuck, I switch inputs and viola!, the 7950 is working just fine.

Need adjustments to the arrangement of the monitors in Display Properties and such, but it works fine.  I have a Dell U3415W, and the 7950 over HDMI does 3440x1440/60hz just fine.  I think everything is working as expected.  The geekbench OpenCL numbers are in line with baseline benchmarks.

This is a real odd solution to not having an igpu.  Is there an proper fix to this black screen issue with AMD cards and non-igpu capable processors?

I still have some tweaking to do as sleep does not work on this system, and probably some other random things, but otherwise it is quite rock solid and stable so far.

I have a C602 chipset which is the workstation version of the X79 with 2x Xeon E-5 2670 v2 CPUs which do not have IGPU and have no issues installing and using MacOS since 10.12 to current using a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480, moves to same but 580 and now with a Asus STRIX OC Vega 64. I honestly have no clue why a lot of users are having issues with RX 480/580. I use MacPro6,1 SMBIOS since it uses the same CPU type and chipset I have. Which is what you should be doing when selecting the SMBIOS. BIOS settings are default settings minus VT-D and Secure Boot disabled.

4 hours ago, noisegate said:

Pavo, you nailed it :)

Can you please tell me what the problem was?

Should I keep using your EFI without adding the APPLE folder?

Thanks a ton, I'll let you know how things go from here!

EDIT:

- Only front panel USB 2 works, no USB 3, no rear panel USB

- I can only wake from screensaver with the mouse wheel. Mouse buttons or keyboard keys don't work.

I removed the patched DSDT that you was using previously so that explains why wake/sleep and USB issues. Tomorrow I will take the things you need out of the DSDT and create a few SSDTs for you. I changed quite a bit and also have you updated Lilu, WEG, AppleALC and AGPM injector kext. The Spple folder is not needed, it’s just a folder that the installer creates in the ESP for updating the firmware on real macs. Doesn’t do anything for hacks.

6 hours ago, Pavo said:

I removed the patched DSDT that you was using previously so that explains why wake/sleep and USB issues. Tomorrow I will take the things you need out of the DSDT and create a few SSDTs for you. I changed quite a bit and also have you updated Lilu, WEG, AppleALC and AGPM injector kext. The Apple folder is not needed, it’s just a folder that the installer creates in the ESP for updating the firmware on real macs. Doesn’t do anything for hacks.

Thank you very much @Pavo

6 hours ago, Pavo said:

(...) and also have you updated Lilu, WEG, AppleALC and AGPM injector kext.

Is this a question or something you did?

7 hours ago, noisegate said:

Thank you very much @Pavo

Is this a question or something you did?

Something I did, that was suppose to say "also gave you". I need you to reboot and go to Clover boot menu and Hit F4, then boot into MacOS normally and mount your EFI. Then I need you to upload your EFI>Clover>ACPI>origin folder please.

Edited by Pavo

1 hour ago, Pavo said:

Something I did, that was suppose to say "also gave you". I need you to reboot and go to Clover boot menu and Hit F4, then boot into MacOS normally and mount your EFI. Then I need you to upload your EFI>Clover>ACPI>origin folder please.

Hey Pavo,

Ok, I suspected it was a typo.

I will get back to you in a week, after we’re back from holiday.

Thank you again for your time,

Merry Xmas!

23 minutes ago, noisegate said:

Hey Pavo,

Ok, I suspected it was a typo.

I will get back to you in a week, after we’re back from holiday.

Thank you again for your time,

Merry Xmas!

No problem safe travels and happy holidays

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2018 at 5:24 PM, Pavo said:

I need you to reboot and go to Clover boot menu and Hit F4, then boot into MacOS normally and mount your EFI. Then I need you to upload your EFI>Clover>ACPI>origin folder please.

Hey there @Pavo, here's the origin folder you asked for: origin.zip

Do your magic ;)

Thanks again for your help and happy new year!

On 12/22/2018 at 3:38 AM, Pavo said:

I removed the patched DSDT that you was using previously so that explains why wake/sleep and USB issues. Tomorrow I will take the things you need out of the DSDT and create a few SSDTs for you.

Gentle bump, if and when you find a moment to help me with the right SSDTs (origin folder is in previous message) :)

@Pavo @MaLd0n 

Also my HDMI monitor won't show as an audio device. Is it to be expected without the proper SSDT?

Thank you very much

Edited by noisegate