GTX 1060 not recognized; "NVIDIA Chip Model"

Tom Snow

29 posts in this topic

I'm running High Sierra (10.13.6) on my Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 with Intel Core i5-2500K, and a few days ago I installed a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 graphics card on it. For the most part everything works--I no longer suffer from the buggy graphics and occasional random freezes I was getting with onboard--but the 3D acceleration doesn't work, and it looks like the machine doesn't recognize my card. The web drivers ARE working, but when I look at "About this Mac" or "System Information" the graphics card is only named "NVIDIA Chip Model 6143MB." Correct amount of memory, wrong card. Does anyone know how to get this thing working right? I've scoured this forum and several others, and none of the solutions I've found work for me. I had used the iMac 14,2 system definition, and am now on 17,1, and neither made a difference. I checked nvida_drv=1 in config.plist and that did nothing. I tried checking "InjectNvidia" out of desperation, just to see if it would do anything, and that just changed the description to "Unknown 256MB" (I have since unchecked it).

What else is there? Am I using the wrong system definition? Is there a kext I forgot to install?

On 12/13/2018 at 1:41 PM, Slice said:

Yes, you card is still unknown for Clover

//	{ 0x10DE1B83,	"Graphics Device" }, // GP104

I can correct with next commit to

{ 0x10DE1B83,	"Geforce GTX 1060" }, // GP104

That's all!

Where can I find this? through Bootlogs file or other? I have problem to get my EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070Ti FTW2 8 GB to work with High Sierra. If i understand you right, i need only to open the file ( name?) and change  this:

//    { 0x10DE1B83,    "Graphics Device" }, // GP104    to    { 0x10DE1B83,    "Geforce GTX 1070" }, // GP104

Thats right?? If yes, so where can I find the file to open and change it?

Thanks!

Open terminal and type

$ bdmesg > boot-log.txt

Take this file and upload here.

7 hours ago, robotics6 said:

Where can I find this? through Bootlogs file or other? I have problem to get my EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070Ti FTW2 8 GB to work with High Sierra. If i understand you right, i need only to open the file ( name?) and change  this:

//    { 0x10DE1B83,    "Graphics Device" }, // GP104    to    { 0x10DE1B83,    "Geforce GTX 1070" }, // GP104

Thats right?? If yes, so where can I find the file to open and change it?

Thanks!

Lol.

First make boot.log same way.

On 12/15/2018 at 6:27 AM, Tom Snow said:

Here it is.

boot-log.txt

Clover knows this card, see the log attached

1:641  0:000  PCI (00|02:00.00) : 10DE 1B83 class=030000
1:641  0:000   - GFX: Model=Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 family 134 (Nvidia)

What is no difference? Did you install WEB-drivers?

May be you have to update Lilu and use Whatevergreen.kext instaead of NvidiaGraphicsFixup?

I installed the latest version of Lilu and removed IntelGraphicsFixup (I shouldn't need that anymore), no difference. I got rid of NvidiaGraphicsFixup and put Whatevergreen in its place, and still the same damn thing, "NVidia Chip Model." I'll keep messing with the kexts and let you know what happens.

I replaced FakeSMC with VirtualSMC...no effect.

I installed OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi and EmuVariableUefi-64.efi and that didn't do anything either.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the Nvidia Web Drivers, and yes it is the most recent version, 387.10.10.10.40.113. And my computer STILL thinks it's using "Nvidia Chip Model"! Did I miss anything? I keep searching all over these and other forums and I can't find a solution that I haven't already tried. The only other thing I can think of is to not only uninstall the drivers but remove the card completely and put it back in, but I REALLY don't want to do that unless I'm absolutely sure it will work.

4 minutes ago, Tom Snow said:

I already tried InjectNvidia, it didn't work. It changed "Nvidia Chip Model" to "Unknown 256MB."

Make full DarwinDumper report and show us.

Uncheck BIOS, HTML report and check "make private".

Nvidia Web Drivers

Inject Nvidia

with and without WhateverGreen.

Holy {censored}, it works! So, in preparation for doing the first Darwin Dump, I checked Inject Nvidia in Clover Configurator and then rebooted. And then I checked About This Mac and it now says my graphics card is "Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 256 MB."

Now, the question is, why is this only working now when it didn't before? Maybe it was my updating the kexts?

Edited by Tom Snow
Everything works now

I've done some searching, and other people fixed this problem by...unchecking InjectNvidia. Which had been causing my first problem! With it unchecked, the computer sees the wrong card and the right memory, but when it is checked the computer sees the right card and the wrong memory.

So here's my first DarwinDump. InjectNvidia IS checked, and WhateverGreen is installed, as are OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi and EmuVariableUefi-64.efi. Later today I'll do it again without WhateverGreen.

DarwinDump.zip

So does this actually matter? I've unchecked Inject Nvidia, since it was the only way to get my 6GB of VRAM back, even if the card is only seen as "Chip Model." Will everything function as it should even if the computer can't figure out the name of the card? I still can't get World of Warcraft to work, but after looking at their forums, it seems other people with the same card have been having issues this past year.

• 3 months later...

It's been a while since I've been here so I was wondering if anyone had any solution I haven't tried yet. I'm still stuck with "Nvidia Chip Model." I've tried pretty much everything, checking and unchecking boxes in Clover Configurator, installing and uninstalling one kext or another, and tonight I even removed the card altogether and moved it to the PCIe x16 slot (it had previously been in x8, and yes I uninstalled the web drivers before doing it and reinstalled after). Even in the correct PCIe slot it still registers merely as Chip Model. What am I missing?

When you say "check Web Drivers in clover configurator" do you mean NvidiaWeb under System Parameters? That's already checked. I'll uncheck it, boot with nv_disable=1, then check it again and reboot again.

I have not installed anything from that other site you mention (although I may have looked around their forums a bit).