Need advice on new build GPU for dual boot (gaming)

technosinner

10 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I've been rocking the same build since 2012 pretty much flawlessly, but I find myself wanting to get back into casual PC gaming and get a hardware upgrade at the same time, since I have a GTX660ti and I can't upgrade to Mojave anyway.

I've been reading as much as I could, but I'm having a hard time getting my head around a lot of what I've read. My issue is that a) I know next to nothing about AMD graphics and it all looks foreign to me and b) I want to get good gamins AND good productivity (as much as possible) and a lot of people separate the two topics. So, which GPU would you recommend to get as much productivity power on the Mac OS side, while still getting decent gaming performance on the Windows side? To be clear, we're talking casual gaming, but I still would like some good performance.

Budget is not really an issue but you know... lower is better!

Thanks!

3 hours ago, technosinner said:

Hi guys,

I've been rocking the same build since 2012 pretty much flawlessly, but I find myself wanting to get back into casual PC gaming and get a hardware upgrade at the same time, since I have a GTX660ti and I can't upgrade to Mojave anyway.

I've been reading as much as I could, but I'm having a hard time getting my head around a lot of what I've read. My issue is that a) I know next to nothing about AMD graphics and it all looks foreign to me and b) I want to get good gamins AND good productivity (as much as possible) and a lot of people separate the two topics. So, which GPU would you recommend to get as much productivity power on the Mac OS side, while still getting decent gaming performance on the Windows side? To be clear, we're talking casual gaming, but I still would like some good performance.

Budget is not really an issue but you know... lower is better!

Thanks!

I have the GPU in my signature and it works great in both macOS and gaming in windows.

On 11/23/2018 at 10:34 PM, millusions said:

heya

ive had a good run with Nvidia cards, until Mojave...

you can pickup a 980ti or 1070 pretty cheap now days, similar performance.

in 1080p they are beastie, 980ti does Doom 4k 60fps easy. 1070 does Assassin's creed Odyssey ultra 1080p stable 60fps.

just depends how far you want to go

Yeah I would have had a penchant for Nvidia - and I know them far better than AMD - but I'm afraid to be stuck on HS for a long while, if not forever. I'm not obsessed with updating my OS but since I'm investing in hardware I'd like a bit more future proofing.

On 11/24/2018 at 12:34 PM, millusions said:

ive had a good run with Nvidia cards, until Mojave...

you can pickup a 980ti or 1070 pretty cheap now days, similar performance.

@InsanelyMac Geek

I can not believe that you can run the GTX980ti or similar card Maxwell/Pascal as there are no drivers exist for these cards, correct me if I'm wrong!

Edited by MAC_SO

• 4 weeks later...

Since I switched to an AMD graphics card (first one ever for me, RX580 8GB Sapphire) I have never looked back. It was plug and play and each os update I don’t have to do anything with graphics, it just works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nowadays AMD is really taking over in the Hackintosh world....I know how hard it is to make the switch, especially for all the Adobe types, but these days you really can’t go wrong with any of the aforementioned RX580/Vega cards etc.....

just be Running at least High Sierra for simplicity....