XPS 9560 Mojave Guide

blazinsmokey

29 posts in this topic

Disclaimer: I am no expert or claim to be an expert in this field. I learn new things every time I dwell in the world of Hackintosh. All constructive criticism is welcomed. Lets get these laptops to be one of the best hackbooks.

My hardware

• Dell XPS 9560
  • 1080p
  • i7-7700HQ
  • Intel HD 630
  • PM961 Samsung NVME 512
  • Dell DW1560 (Broadcom BCM94352Z)
  • 97whr Battery

Overview

I've been using and working on this laptop since its launch. My model was one of the first batches released, so I don't even have the fingerprint reader. There was minor success until KNNSpeed came along with his guide. Seems he has since abandon it but a lot of the work he provided is still in effect today. Many advancements have been made since Sierra and KNNSpeed's guide. Lilu, Whatevergreen and now VirtualSMC. So I've taken some time to move our laptop to these new developments and will try to keep things to date. I also used wmchris' work he did on the 9550 to understand some of these new changes so thanks for his work as well. I have tried to make it as clean as possible but again I'm as noob as most of you. For now I am very happy with how it is working, especially with VoodooI2C.

What's Included

• Clover folder
  • Disable hibernate script
  • Combo jack installer
  • CPUFriendDataProvider options including one for i5-7300HQ
  • Thunderbolt/USB SSDT options
  • Misc Folder

What Works

• CPU Power Management
  • Native NVRAM
  • Battery Support (doesn't show cycle count)
  • Sleep and Wake with Lid Open and Close (10 hours = ~2% battery loss)
  • Intel HD 630 (2048MB VRAM)
  • HDMI out w/ Audio (1080p)
  • Audio ALC298
  • Headphone Jack/Combo Jack (headphone / headset(w/mic) support)
  • Brightness Keys
  • Brightness saved after restart
  • Keyboard
  • Trackpad with Gestures
  • Webcam
  • WiFi and Bluetooth (DW1560)
  • iCloud Services
  • Continuity and Hand-off
  • USB-C hot plug / Thunderbolt semi hot plug
    • READ Understanding SSDT Hot patching Section

What Doesn't Work

• Finger Print Sensor
  • NVIDIA GTX 1050
  • SD CARD Reader (disable in you BIOS to save some battery)

Not Tested

• File Vault 2
    • Currently being tested, link found here #20
  • Hibernation
    • Supposedly works but you'll need to do your own testing.
    • I disabled it, the possibility of data corruption out weighs the minimal benefits, plus the writes to our NVME or even SATA SSD will shorten its life.
    • Some have been using it with no reports of corruption yet but you have been warned.

What Needs Improvement

• Thunderbolt (full Hotplug) (WIP, it beat me down and I gave up)
  • USB-C to act natively instead of a PCI Express Card (WIP, it beat me down and I gave up)
  • Second stage boot glitch
  • Waking from sleep when opening lid causes a hesitation and flash/flicker.
    • (fixed Darkwake = 1)
  • Battery percentage while mostly accurate is weird sometimes. For example sometimes it's 97% and I plug it in and it shoots to 100%.
    • (fixed possibly by adding SSDT-ADP1.aml and DSDT patch in config)
  • VoodooPS2Controller injected by Clover doesn't work on cold boots, does work after a restart. Current fix is to install in /Library/Extensions.

BIOS Configuration

• You can use KNNSpeed's BIOS Settings found here https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-dell-xps-15-9560-4k-touch-1tb-ssd-32gb-ram-100-adobergb.224486/.
  • Additional Bios options in Thunderbolt folder readme
  • Currently using BIOS 1.15.0
    • If you are not using a Windows dual boot you can update the BIOS from within the BIOS by using a flash drive. Has to be a FAT32 partition I believe. I placed it in my Clover EFI partition for the update.
  • If you are having problems booting Clover
    • You have to go into BIOS and set the path for the boot entry on the USB drive or NVME drive. Bios->General->Boot Sequence. Add boot option, give it a name, select the right file system from the list, and select EFI/Clover/CLOVERX64.efi
  • If you do EFI-shell hacks like enabling HWP, you can restore these variable bit switches by using the BIOS Restore Settings and selecting Manufacture option.

Install

• Create a macOS Mojave Clover USB installer and replace EFI Clover Folder with mine, small adjustments may be needed but we haven't come across any.
  • A couple reboots during installation and sometimes updates is normal.
  • SMBIOS info included is pre generated! Generate your own SMBIOS info if you want working and secure iCloud services.
  • My Samsung PM961 is not 4Kn sector, seems there is native support for it and matches a native device ID.
    • Kernel Panics were plenty until I switched to AptioMemoryFix and VirtualSMC.
  • Note for 4K screen users you may or may not need to add -cdfon to boot-arg but I have already added enable-hdmi20 IGPU entry in Devices/Properties which should be suitable as well.

Clover Boot Loader Settings

We are working with native nvram here on our laptops. You should not have nvram.plist, EmuVariableUEFI or RC scripts. If you have installed these on your boot drive you need to remove them and clear nvram from from Clover boot loader using F11.

• Clover for UEFI booting only
  • Install Clover in the ESP
  • UEFI Drivers
  • FileVault 2 Files
    • Still need volunteer testing and reports

Post Install

• If you have an i5-7300HQ, take a look at post #316
    • Replace the included CPUFriendDataProvider.kext with the one from the post
    • It is included in the obvious named folder
    • If you have already started by using the 7 which is default in the folder, F11 to clear NVRAM at boot after you make the replacement.
  • TB and USB-C SSDT are not included in ACPI/patched, you must make your own decision on what you want.
  • Disable hibernate. A script is included, cd to directory of script and run. Every update or any major changes in your config, please do your self a favor unless you like corrupt data. RUN THIS SCRIPT AGAIN!
  • Headphone/Headset/Combo Jack, thank KNNSpeed for his work on this.
  • Trackpad Settings
    • Everything set as defaults.
    • Make sure tap to click is enabled so that tapping with two fingers invokes right click #195
    • If you change the Swipe between pages to "Swipe with two or three fingers" you can now get back/forth gestures in Finder and possibly other apps. The caveat to this is that Mission Control now had to be 4 finger swipes, which works fine.
  • Fix Tilde Key
    • System preferences > Keyboard > Change Keyboard Type
    • Hit the buttons as normal then select ISO instead of ANSI
    • Credit: #141
  • Install VoodooPS2Controller.kext to L/E so keyboard works on cold boots. If you find yourself without keyboard after a cold boot, restart for it to pickup. No longer necessary as of latest files (4/17/19).
  • Optional Sensors
    • In my experience sensor kexts can cause problems in the long run when dealing with updates. I don't monitor my system like this and feel that Intel Power Gadget is enough for me when necessary. I have however tested this functionality, but do not expect me to keep up with this.
    • The only benefit currently is seeing core specific temps.
    •  
    • How To (https://github.com/acidanthera/VirtualSMC)
      • Download the release from link.
      • Install HWMonitor but do not install FakeSMC or it's sensors. Only the software.
      • You can download the package here https://github.com/kozlekek/HWSensors/releases
      • Install SMCProcessor.kext from VirtualSMC in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Others
      • Restart your system
      • Other sensors from VirtualSMC could be tested as well, I however will not be doing so. Please report with your findings.
      • No fan controls, we don't have adequate SSDT and support from VirtualSMC.
  • Enable HWP, SpeedShift via EFI-Shell BIOS hack
  • Undervolting with VoltageShift
    • https://sitechprog.blogspot.com/2017/06/voltageshift.html
    • https://github.com/sicreative/VoltageShift
    • The two links have a pretty decent explanation of how to use it.
    • Here is a brief explanation of how it works. VoltageShift writes these offsets to MSR. Meaning once the system shutdown completely you will lose these settings. That includes shutdown and hibernation but if you were to just restart and boot into Windows, these settings actually stay.
    • Apparently it doesn't persist through sleep even though it says it does.
    • When you build with their launch daemon tool, it builds a daemon which will set these offsets on boot and to the offsets in x time intervals to set them again if your laptop happened to hibernate.
    • I've had success with these settings CPU -25mv, GPU -90mv, Cache -125mv
      • ./voltageshift offset -125 -90 -125
      • Above is for manually setting them! Follow the instructions for building the launch daemon.
    • My recommendation is to just set it manually for a week or so, once you know you are stable then build the launch daemon.
    • Also you can change these settings on the fly if you have Windows installed with Intel XTU. Test for stability there then apply the same with VoltageShift.

Geekbench 4.3

Cinebench R15.038 CPU

Persistence and Upgrading

Troubleshooting

Understanding config.plist

• ACPI Section
    • DSDT patches section is self explanatory. Standard changes and Method renames for the SSDT hot patches. You can read the comments to see explanations.
      • Includes patches to support I2C and USB-C/TB.
    • SSDT includes
      • Generate/PluginType=YES
      • UseSystemIO=YES No longer necessary 7/11
    • Drop SSDT Tables, xh_rvp11 and PtidDevc. No longer necessary 7/11
    • AutoMerge, Fix Headers, Reset Address 0x0CF9 and Reset Value 0x06.
    • SortedOrder is not necessary for this setup.
  • Boot Section
    • Arguments
      • darkwake=1
      • dart=0 while eliminates problems with VT-D also helps load BrcmFirmwareData.kext.
        • Without this flag, timeouts will occur causing very long boot and shutdown times plus Bluetooth doesn't work.
      • brcmfx-country=#a to ignore country code for WiFi, helpful for 5GHz.
    • XMPDetection=Yes, better ram speed detection but can be set to NO as well.
  • Boot Graphics Section
    • Empty
  • CPU Section
    • HWPEnabled=YES, this is needed since we are not using SSDT-XCPM. In combo with CPUFriend.kext and CPUFriendDataProvider.kext we get idle at 800MHz vs native 1.3GHz. So a bit of battery life savings here. CPU will still hit 3.8GHz turbo boost.
  • Devices Section
    • USB Inject, Add ClockID, and FixOwnership = YES.
    • AddProperties, IntelGFX the key and value help HDMI audio out.
    • Properties, the device listed PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0) is the graphics location. The included Properties Key and Property Values took KNNSpeeds old frame buffer patch to recognize the XPS15 ports in macOS and converted for use via WhateverGreen through this method.
      • Patched for 4K use, extra vram
  • Disable Drivers Section
    • VBoxHfs
  • GUI Section
    • Put in your screen resolution but the rest is really up to you.
  • Graphics Section
    • Empty. Isn't that great?!
  • Kernel and Kext Patches Section
    • Apple RTC, AppleIntelCPUPM No longer necessary 7/11
    • KernelPM, DellSMBIOSPatch = YES
  • KextsToPatch, nothing!
  • KernelToPatch includes patch
    • MSR 0xE2 _xcpm_idle prevent instant reboot (c) Pike R. Alpha and Disable panic kext logging on 10.14 release kernel (credit Vandroiy)
  • RT Variable Section
    • BooterConfig = 0x28 and CsrActiveConfig = 0x67 0x03E7
    • Generate a Rom
  • SMBIOS Section
    • MacBookPro 14,1
    • There are guides for using a proper serial and setting up these values for iCloud, you will need SmUUID and Board Serial Number.
  • System Parameters Section
    • Inject Kexts=Yes

Understanding drivers64UEFI (now drivers/UEFI since Clover 4988)

• ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi - loads APFS drivers
  • AptioMemoryFix.efi - installed separately from https://github.com/acidanthera/AptioFixPkg
  • DataHubDxe-64.efi - honestly don't know, but every source I found says it's always safe and no conflicts so...
  • FSInject-64.efi - injects kexts

Understanding SSDT Hot Patching

• SSDT-ADP1.aml - allows ApleACPIACAdapter to load (thanks to [USER=665795]@mazakiss[/USER] for finding this out)
  • SSDT-ALC298.aml - audio
  • SSDT-ALS0.aml - ambient light sensor, we don't have one this helps fakes it for saving brightness
  • SSDT-BRT6.aml - brightness keys
  • SSDT-Config.aml - rehabmans rmcf configuration
  • SSDT-DeepIdle.aml - enables deep idle support, power saving
    • removed and add to misc folder may just be my system, this was causing laptop to go into deep idle instead of sleeping and caused needing to press power button to wake after opening.
  • SSDT-DMAC.aml - DMA controller
  • SSDT-HDEF.aml - audio properties
  • SSDT-I2C.aml - voodooi2c trackpad
  • SSDT-LPC.aml - LPC bus
  • SSDT-MCHC.aml - memory controller
  • SSDT-MEM2.aml - via KNNSpeed's explanation "Defines a fixed memory region that gets used for something (hardly any information on it, but PNP0C01 is “System Board” in Windows so it has to do with motherboard resource allocation). Presumably, it’s related to the Integrated Graphics, as that’s the section in which Apple defines the MEM2 device."
  • SSDT-PMCR.aml - via KNNSpeed's explanation "Complements the PPMC (Platform Power Management Controller) with the seemingly useless PMCR device that exists in Mac DSDTs. It doesn’t hurt anything to have this, and it can really only help, so it’s here."
  • SSDT-PNLF.aml - backlight
  • SSDT-PTSWAK.aml - powers on dGPU before sleep and power is off after wake for tracking purposes
  • SSDT-RMDGPU.aml - powers off dGPU during initialization
  • SSDT-SMBUS.aml - SMBus
  • Thunderbolt and USB-C
    • Check the Readme in the folder
    • I have not TB devices to test but USB-C seems to be working pretty good for the most part. Quick unplug replug may cause issues since it's acting like express card.
    • Two options
      • SSDT-TB3-V1.aml, from here.
      • SSDT-TYPC.aml, KNN method
        • USB-C docks and devices work properly, full hot plug capable.
        • TB needs to be plugged in at Clover screen, will crash system on unplug.
        • Acts like a PCI Express card.
  • SSDT-UPRW.aml - Stops instant wake from USB and Lan
  • SSDT-XOSI.aml - system exposed as if Windows 10
  • SSDT-YTBT.aml - USB Type-C hot plug support

Understanding Kexts Injected

Updates

10/28/18 - 5/26/19

10/28 Added trackpad options to Post Install Section, Geekbench 4.3 scores

10/29 Added SMCProcessor.zip and info on using with HWMonitor, added more links and some formatting

11/1 Added new Clover folder XPS9560-Clover v2.zip with updated kexts and drivers. Added Bluetooth pairing fix plus install options and extra trackpad option. FileVault 2 currently being tested by [USER=6160]@fabiofabio[/USER] his post here #20. Adjusted Optional sensors with link and removed attached SMCProcessor from post.

11/5 Clover updated v2.1 brightness save fixed by editing config.plist #70. Cinebench CPU benchmarks posted. TB3 testing in progress look here #53 please test if you have the hardware and report.

11/8 Updated with Clover Boot Loader Settings, other minor fixes

11/12 STILL UNDER TESTING Clover updated v3.0 Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C hot plug working, removed SSDT-TYPC.aml and replaced with SSDT-TB3-V1.aml from https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/in-progress-ssdt-for-thunderbolt-3-hotplug.248784/. Updated clover config dsdt hot patch comments to reflect this change. Clover and Kexts are latest versions.

12/18 Updated tilde fix and ok to update to 10.14.2, reminder Clover 3.0 here is still under testing with TB3 and USB-C

3/25/19 Updated to 10.14.4 after updating Clover to r4895, kexts, etc. I uploaded my current clover folder, Clover v3.1 zip for you guys as it includes all the latest kexts to this day and AptioFix R25. Rebuild kext cache and permissions after to get touchpad working again.

4/25 Decent amount of changes and details on what's in progress. Clover 3.2 can be found here. I will add it to this guide after some more testing.

5/26 Updated Guide, Released Clover v3.3, details #399

7/11 Release Clover v3.4, Updated Guide

NOTE for install with v3.4 you need to add HFSPlus.efi driver or you won't see the install partition. It isn't necessary for post install.

All kexts updated as of 7/11

Edited SSDT-config.aml

Clover updated to 4988

•     NOTE, recent update changed drivers64UEFI to drivers/UEFI

Removed from config

• No longer need to set plugin type to 1, the generate plugin section will do
  • ACPI / UseSystemIO=YES
  • ACPI / Drop SSDT Tables, xh_rvp11 and PtidDevc
  • KernelandKextpatch / Apple RTC
  • KernelandKextpatch / Apple IntelCPUPM

Added to config

• Added AutoMerge=YES

SSDT Removed

• Deep Idle, still included in misc folder, read the readme

XPS 9560 10.14.0 Geekbench 4.3.0 Compute.png

XPS 9560 10.14.0 Geekbench 4.3.0 CPU.png

Cinebench R15.038 CPU.png

CLOVER v3.4.zip

Edited by blazinsmokey
Update 11/12
  • Thanks 2

Hi,

Ive updated to latest bios 1.12.1 and Mojave 10.14.1 and it still works.

I have a few issues.

1. I cant get hdmi to work. When I plug in hdmi cable nothing happens.

2. Bluetooth wont detect any device since I swapped DW1830 for DW1560.

3. Headphones are distorted when plugged in.

Here are my specs

• Dell XPS 9560 4K Touchscreen
  • i7-7700HQ
  • Intel HD 630
  • SanDisk A400 512GB NVME
  • Dell DW1560
  • 97whr Battery

Thanks for the great guide.

Edited by kamalaggi

On 11/3/2018 at 10:21 PM, kamalaggi said:

Hi,

Ive updated to latest bios 1.12.1 and Mojave 10.14.1 and it still works.

I have a few issues.

1. I cant get hdmi to work. When I plug in hdmi cable nothing happens.

2. Bluetooth wont detect any device since I swapped DW1830 for DW1560.

3. Headphones are distorted when plugged in.

Guide updated with new Clover folder for bluetooth fix. Headphones work fine on my end, make sure you follow instructions on that.

HDMI still works for me as well. Try clean install or makes sure nothing else is affecting the files in this guide.

20 hours ago, matgeo said:

Do have working bluetooth and trackpad during fresh install ?

Fix permissions and rebuild kext cache. Bluetooth pairing was fixed in v2. Min has been working fine on 10.14.1

Guide updated with Clover 2.1 with fixes for saving backlight level.

2 hours ago, blazinsmokey said:

Fix permissions and rebuild kext cache. Bluetooth pairing was fixed in v2. Min has been working fine on 10.14.1

I mean bluetooth pairing when you install HS or Mojave. At the install progress can you use your bluetooth mouse ?

8 hours ago, TheBeev said:

This is a n00b question but - will installing a fresh Mojave from USB completely wipe out my partitions and data? I'm hoping to preserve my Windows dual boot, as well as all my data on macOS... 

Not if you install to a separate partition on the drive. Obviously if you overwrite your Windows or other macOS partition you'll lose all the data on those respective partitions.

Resize and create a new partition for the install, make sure you install to the correct partition and all should be well.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I am using XPS 15 9550 and I put your Clover setting for trying touchpad enable gestures.

And it works and great!! but the problem is your setting is not quite suitable for 9550 like different cpu and vga crashed and making some errors like not correct vram *7mb). 

So what I want to do is only inject touchpad setting. Can you please give some hint to get there?

I have done few thing, like kext and ssdt but nothing work to my laptop. 

THanks.

• 4 months later...
3 minutes ago, Zacharybinx34 said:

Got it working, but the Trackpad randomly freaks out and send the cursor to the bottom of the screen when trying to left click with it. Any solution?

Haven't been updating my guide here, but I don't have this problem. Just clicked it and it didn't freak out. 

Make sure you update all your kexts and clover. KextUpdater is nice tool, hackintool can do it as well. Rebuild kext cache, fix perm. Reset touch pad  settings to default, clear nvram.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/27/2018 at 3:36 PM, blazinsmokey said:

Create a macOS Mojave Clover USB installer and replace EFI Clover Folder with mine, small adjustments may be needed but we haven't come across any.

Sorry, big newb here, this is my first time messing withHackintoshh, but I dont get what you mean buy "Create a macOS Mojave Clover USB installer", how do I do that? Any guide you can link me too?

Been a while, released 3.4 a while ago forgot to post here. You guys here might wanna check it out. Gonna move this over to repository on GitHub soon enough.

Thanks for the file, haven’t used my second XPS 15 with Hackintosh in a while. This because the WiFi dropped all the time (DW1830) after it got out of sleep mode. I had to reboot to fix it.

Do you know if this is because of a “bad” card (not a genuine OEM) or some settings I have wrong? I also have the issue on windows 10.

On 7/20/2019 at 4:20 PM, J-J said:

Thanks for the file, haven’t used my second XPS 15 with Hackintosh in a while. This because the WiFi dropped all the time (DW1830) after it got out of sleep mode. I had to reboot to fix it.

Do you know if this is because of a “bad” card (not a genuine OEM) or some settings I have wrong? I also have the issue on windows 10.

If it's happening in Windows I would assume bad card or bad install, loose connection for power? If it's both operating system def hardware related maybe even BIOS related?

Thanks for your feedback. I’ll verify some things and otherwise buy a new DW1830.

EDIT:

Reverted back to Clover v3.3 found in your topic on "the tony forum".

Yesterday I tried out your new Clover file for a clean install.

I think something’s wrong with the Clover folder When I create a new install media, when I copy Clover folder to the EFI partition of the usb drive, it won’t load the usb drive at startup. It just shows the main drive.

When leaving the initial Clover folder or this Clover folder, it just sees the usb drive.

Tried changing some settings in config.plist but without success.

New Clover

650bb6557c26a08a539eb870a1c787b8.jpg&key=8b7fe115cc96b737ed90d8c5cc118948436d2e949420f5d744c3b1466de223db

3310f716d27e73c76ab2d4a0adcbf661.jpg

Other Clover

d88694f06164dde787cb08879259ddce.jpg&key=8da8a60e34834d99be5349e38e4bcd0bc2eea415cecf17ccf6bf7d84a044a479

57bef50cbf088ee2e9da2a80107b42fe.jpg

Clover on SSD

493195b9aa7fbce3a3c8ac8ce5f5ef28.jpg&key=07c3ea3e3f7cd76dd3a78c59df46c440b7548ef1a383f65d089abc2e9798e5c7

b408a30960007d1e020bc9bfa72746e9.jpg

Edited by J-J