macOS EFI Unlocker V1.0 for VMware

Donk

13 posts in this topic

Here is a new utility to patch the EFI firmware in VMware Workstation and Fusion to allow the non-server versions of Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) and 10.6 (Snow Leopard) to run. Yoiu will need macOS unlocker 3 if you are using Workstation on non-Apple hardware. I still have to find a way to do this on ESXi as the UEFIPatch utility will not run in the ESXi console.

This currently supports:

• Workstation 11/12/14/15 on Windows and Linux
  • Workstation Player 7/12/14/15 on Windows and Linux
  • Fusion 10/11 on macOS

https://github.com/DrDonk/efi-unlocker/releases/download/1.0.0/efi-unlocker100.zip

https://github.com/DrDonk/efi-unlocker

Please read the readme.txt file for details.

readme.txt

Edited by Donk
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Punio said:

It seems to require Workstation 14 or greater. Since I can't use Workstation 14 due to my CPU being too old, is there any chance we could get a version for Workstation 12?

I will look into it but the firmware is embedded in the executables. There is a way to extract so will try and sort it out for you.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Naki said:

Does this conflict with Unlocker 3.0.2? OR can it be used alongside it? :)

It is an addon to the unlocker to remove server checks for Leopard/Snow Leopard. It used to be fixable in the unlocker code but changed a couple of releases back.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I was a dumb ass and accidentally made it private. I use my account for my consulting work, and just worked my way through a bunch of repos making them private. Sorry about that.

On 1/25/2019 at 7:44 PM, Donk said:

I was a dumb ass and accidentally made it private. I use my account for my consulting work, and just worked my way through a bunch of repos making them private. Sorry about that.

Great, thanks for the heads-up. We thought something very bad happened to you or the Tools for a few hours/days. :)

No need to apologize! :)

• 4 weeks later...

humm, I seem to be the only one here looking to use this with a Mac.

My scenario:

Host Machine. latest MBP running 10.14.3

Vmware Fusion: Version 11.0.2 (10952296)

Guest OS to try: 10.6 or 10.6.8 both Desktop not server

Steps:

Download and decompress "macOS EFI Unlocker V1.0 for VMware"

with VMware shutdown.

run sh script "efi-macos.sh"

Roms successfully patched. Looking like copies placed in the "macOS EFI Unlocker V1.0 for VMware" DIRECTORY

Started VMware fusion

Created empty VM OS Type "Mac OS Server 10.6"

set CD to boot from a bootable dmg

Saved

shutdown Fusion

edited the VMX file in the newly created VM

added line "efi32.filename = "EFI32-MACOS.ROM"

with the rom files copied to the VM directory

also tried using full path to ROMs.

"efi32.filename = "/PATH_TO_ROM/EFI32-MACOS.ROM"

Not sure how where the ROMS are suppose to live and what exactly should be in the quotes.

Would it be simpler to replace the stock roms with the patched ones?

Either way I am failing. The Guest OS tries to boot the install dmg and stop saying it is not server.

any steps here I am missing?

• 1 month later...

Hey Diminox,

I was facing the same issue. Luckily I copied both the patched files in x64 folder inside Vmware Workstation folder and gave the full path in the vm configuration file and it worked.

Give this a try

But in my case the installation hangs with a stop sign, trying to figure it out

Capture.PNG

Edited by simplyhuman

• 7 months later...

After I use this to install Snow Leopard, is there some trick to getting the VMWare Tools installed? The installation always seems to fail.

Edit: Never mind me, this had nothing to do with the unlocker. VMWare Tools has an expired certificate and Snow Leopard's installer doesn't let you bypass the error. Remove the certificate by expanding and then repacking the .pkg with pkgutil on the command line.

Edited by Wowfunhappy

• 9 months later...