Help installing Mojave on Xeon W-2175 and Asus WS C422 mobo

obus

852 posts in this topic

yep but not "professional dignity" offended for me :P

:)

We have studied a lot with @obus , it seems it is possible to boot with other patches without fakecpuid but loosing other features like cpu stepping

This behavior is weird and maybe it is possible to use some other patches to achieve best results (former named cpu idle or similar

For me is no logical OSX behavior with your system because IE @obus cpu is very similar to iMac pro 14 cores xeon W

2 hours ago, yapan4 said:

Dear @fabiosun . Sorry that offended your professional dignity with my wrong conclusion about MSR 0xE2. Sorry...

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

Hi again @obus. Hi all.

I am lacking communicate on theme ASUS WS C422 Pro/CE, so  will say something... 

1. Late releases macOS-10.14.1b4 and Clover v4713  - any changes

2. Any currently available AptioMemoryFix drivers can not fix work with memory on ASUS WS C422 Pro/SE. 

3. AptioMemoryFix is needed only for NVRAM fix. 

4. What function of CPUFakeID is still not clear...

Hi @yapan4.

Could you please try to explain yourself a little bit more!

I haven't tried 10.14.1 beta so I don't know if there is any changes. I am still using FakeCPUid and kernel patch for booting.

NVRAM is not native so I use AptioMemoryFix.

I don't exactly understand what you mean in point 2 and point 4?

Edited by obus

AptioMemoryFix perform two main functions - work with memory and fix NVRAM. Ony fix NVRAM work correct, parts for fix Aptio memory dont work at all or partially. 

Why such a conclusion?

Because i was able to successfully boot without AptioMemoryFix.efi. For NVRAM fix i use EmuVariableEFI.efi + kernel patch xcpm_pkg_scope_msrs (c) Pike R. Alpha + FakeCPUID

And about p.4 - I assume that the function of working with memory instead AptioMemoryFix.efi performs kernel patch xcpm_pkg_scope_msrs (c) Pike R. Alpha. Then what does FakeCPUID?

But all this can be my guesses.

Unfortunately, very little information is available on kernel patches and FakeCPUID

True information should be sought from the authors of these software

Edited by yapan4

Some of my conclusions are false, so it's not relevant. But it is obvious that we have a problem with the CPUPM<=>RAM<=>NVRAM.

I also test boot without AptioMemoryFix.efi and without FakeCPUID only with EmuVariableEFI.efi + xcpm_bootstrap (c) Pike R. Alpha - Mojave also boot ok.

But that's all - trampling on the spot and without the intervention of developers we can not solve it

Also (in comparision with X299) may be our BIOS don't have some critical settings at all or just are hided. For example, I did not find 

/AI Tweaker/
a.) ASUS MultiCore Enhancement
b.) AVX Instruction Core Ratio Negative Offset
c.) AVX-512 Instruction Core Ratio Negative Offset

What do you think?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2018 at 4:57 PM, yapan4 said:

But that's all - trampling on the spot and without the intervention of developers we can not solve it

I agree. We need more help from developers but how can we involve them?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/25/2018 at 4:14 PM, yapan4 said:

BIOS 0802 released. New issues - missed all USB 2.0-3.0 and sound codec. For fix I use npci=0x2000. 

Old problems also remained.

My rig is working quite nice with 10.14.2. and bios 0802. Of course I still need the kernelpatch and FakeCPUID. I f you have problems with USB check my config.plist and use my C422-iMacPro-XHCI.kext in the attached EFI-folder. For sound I've just use AppleALC.kext and inject audio 7 in config.plist.

EFI.zip

Edited by obus

3 hours ago, obus said:

My rig is working quite nice with 10.14.2. and bios 0802. Of course I still need the kernelpatch and FakeCPUID. I f you have problems with USB check my config.plist and use my C422-iMacPro-XHCI.kext in the attached EFI-folder. For sound I've just use AppleALC.kext and inject audio 7 in config.plist.

EFI.zip

Thank you for sharing your results. Your experience will be useful in the future...

But currently I don't use any custom ACPI tables only default Asus BIOS tables. For sound I use VoodooHDA because for AppleALC.kext + inject audio 7 also necessary some custom ACPI fixes.

This configuration allows me to see changes that occur when updating Clover, BIOS, macOS, etc... 

And in 10.14.3b1 still need patches for CPU.

Also, someone can be interesting - a new ASMB9-iKVM Firmware 1.12.4 for WS C422 PRO/SE fixed some issue with IPMI, about which I wrote earlier

My EFI.zip

2 hours ago, yapan4 said:

And @obus, do you wanna try https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-W-2140B-SR3LK-3-2GHz-11MB-8-Core-SR3L2-LGA-2066-Grade-B/273600012939?epid=19024632867&hash=item3fb3d4e28b:g:sCsAAOSwxO9cCxrC 

:rolleyes:

Seems to be a used iMacPro processor. Do you think this version Intel-Xeon-W-2140B is natively supported?

No, I'm not sure. 

Possible problems:

1) compatibility with MB at all - socket pinout, voltage, etc

2) compatiblity with x86 EFI BIOS

3) if Moterboard and BIOS ok, then posible the same, as it is now with PС Xeon.

So it is unknown

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you for sharing your results. Your experience will be useful in the future...

But currently I don't use any custom ACPI tables only default Asus BIOS tables. For sound I use VoodooHDA because for AppleALC.kext + inject audio 7 also necessary some custom ACPI fixes.

This configuration allows me to see changes that occur when updating Clover, BIOS, macOS, etc... 

And in 10.14.3b1 still need patches for CPU.

Also, someone can be interesting - a new ASMB9-iKVM Firmware 1.12.4 for WS C422 PRO/SE fixed some issue with IPMI, about which I wrote earlier

My EFI.zip

I'm looking for a FakeCPUID for the Xeon W 2195. Any luck with your FakeCPUID and have you found one for the 18 core?

I'm looking for a FakeCPUID for the Xeon W 2195. Any luck with your FakeCPUID and have you found one for the 18 core?

Hello @travisndiesing.

Welcome to here.

You are a pioneer on the forum with 18-core Xeon W- series.

You have already tried to install a macOS with or without a FakeCPUID? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, yapan4 said:

Hello @travisndiesing.

Welcome to here.

You are a pioneer on the forum with 18-core Xeon W- series.

You have already tried to install a macOS with or without a FakeCPUID? 

Hey yapan4, thank you for the fast response. Hopefully my struggles can tread fresh ground for future users.

I have tried installing with both uni  beast and Clover. We can get to the uni  beast boot menu, but none of my internal hard drives show up and we can only see the Flash drive. When we click on installing the flash drive we get the apple logo for about 5 seconds and then the system reboots. When we try installing with Clover alone we get the black screen with bouncing underscores. We've tried the FakeCPUID you guys suggested for the 2175 with no avail. Do you think this is a problem with my motherboard hardware or just a Clover/BIOS settings issue? Here's the message I sent to Obus yesterday:

Hey Obus. Thanks for pointing me to your thread a couple of months back regarding your ASUS WS C422 PRO/SE motherboard and Xeon W 2175 processor. I've been following it and it's been really helpful. Have you been able to get High Sierra and/or Mojave up and running and how stable is it? I recently purchased the ASUS WS C422 SAGE/10G motherboard with the Xeon W 2195 and Samsung 2400MHz ECC RAM and haven't been able to get either [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] or Clover to boot Mojabe or High Sierra yet. Since our boards and processor are very similar, I'm hoping some of your progress will be able to help me as well. Basically when I get into the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] with Clover boot menu I can't see any of my connected hard drives except the External USB, and when I click install on the USB I get the Apple logo for a couple of seconds and then the system crashes and reboots. 

Here's a link to the comparison between our boards: https://www.asus.com/us/Product-Compare/?products=909C5iMqrbvmoVO3,yj4ETokVWgCTgKtR&amp;b=0

The main differences between our boards from what I'm seeing are the following: 

1. My PCI-e lanes run through the North Bridge with C422 chipset before the processor whereas yours seem to access the processor directly.
  2. My motherboard does not have HDMI on the board itself, so I have to run my monitor through the HDMI on my Gigabyte GTX 1080Ti. We have a theory that this might be conflicting with the graphics on the CPU and causing a crash.
  3. My board has 10G Ethernet and yours has Gigabyte ethernet.
  4. Your board has USB 2.0 ports whereas mine does not

I'm waiting to hear back from ASUS for clarification on this and I've attached screenshots of some of the other differences. We're thinking that I may end up having to return my Motherboard and buy yours or maybe a Gigabyte board, but I definitely want to exhaust all the options before doing so. Would you be able to send me your final EFI folder and BIOS settings? I'm going to try to install High Sierra first as you've done and then deal with Mojave after that if I see that someone can get it running.

Cheers

Wow, @travisndiesing Not so fast. and not all at once.

First:

1) Add please your signature https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/336486-video-how-to-add-a-signature/?do=getNewComment

2) Of course you haw windows 10 installed and all you hardware work ok. Always detach you macOS HDD/SSD during Windows install (Install Windows first then attach second HDD/SSD for macOS)!!!

3) On insanelymac does not like the mention of tonymac and you do not need the utilities from this forum. Only Clover and the original macOS from App Store

Then:

1) Configure you motherboards BIOS for Hackintosh:

-set default optimized, reboot

-disable CSM

-disable Configure Lock if available

-disable VT-d

-save and reboot

2) Press F8 and chose you flash drive

3) If you flash drive formatted and configured properly and no boot, please attach her you EFI Folder and screenshots in verbose mode

P.S. Sorry my English, partially use google translate

• Like 1

Ok @travisndiesing

Here is some information to start with:

First of all check my old HighSierra thread https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/333229-help-installing-highsierra-on-xeon-w-2175-and-asus-ws-c422-mobo/?page=13

I'm sure you can get some hints there.

My rig is stable as a rock and everything is working as it should both with HighSierra and Mojave 10.14.2. I never had  a crash sleep and wake is working perfect together wit my Titan Ridge TB 3 card. The only thing that is annoying me now is that we need a kernel patch and FakeCPUID for booting. Funny because this Xeon W CPU:s should be more or less native.

Enclosed you will find my Mojave USB-install EFI. 

Use 0x0506E4 as Fake CPUID (Skylake)

and _"xcpm_pkg_scope_msrs_PMhart" kernelpatch as it is in my config.plist.

All my kext and SSDT:s is still in that folder so you need to pick the stuff you need and I'm sure

you could use some of it

Start With Mojave 10.14.2 and do not mess with HighSierra. 

Set your Bios as similar as possible: (Credit to KGP)

1.) /AI Tweaker/
a.) ASUS MultiCore Enhancement: Auto 
b.) AVX Instruction Core Ratio Negative Offset: "3"
c.) AVX-512 Instruction Core Ratio Negative Offset: "2"
d.) CPU Core Ratio: Sync All Cores
e.) CPU SVID Support: Enabled
f.) DRAM Frequency: DDR4-3200MHz (in my particular case)

2.) /Advanced/CPU Configuration/
a.) Hyper Threading [ALL]: Enabled
b.) MSR Lock Control:Disabled (very important)

3.) /Advanced/CPU Configuration/CPU Power Management Configuration/
a.) Enhanced Intel Speed Step Technology (EIST):Enabled
b.) Autonomous Core C-States: Enabled
c.) Enhanced Halt State (C1E):Enabled
d.) CPU C6 report: Enabled
e.) Package C-State: C6(non retention) state
f.) Intel SpeedShift Technology:Enabled
g.) MFC Mode Override: OS Native

4.) /Advanced/Platform Misc Configuration/  
a.) PCI Express Native Power Management: Disabled
b.) PCH DMI ASPM: Disabled
d.) ASPM: Disabled
e.) DMI Link ASPM Control: Disabled
f.) PEG - ASMP: Disabled

5.) /Advanced/System Agent Configuration/
a.) Intel VT for Directed I/O (VT-d): Disabled/Enabled

6.) /Boot/
a.) Fast Boot: Disabled
b.) Above 4G Decoding: Off
c.) Set your specific Boot Option Priorities

7.) /Boot/Boot Configuration
a.) Boot Logo Display: Auto 
b.) Boot up NumLock State: Disabled
c.) Setup Mode: Advanced

8.) /Boot/Compatibility Support Module/
a.) Launch CSM: Disabled

9.) /Boot/Secure Boot/
a.) OS Type: Other OS

Sync all cores could be a culprit. Try default settings if your rig is not booting.

You need to swap TSCAdjustReset.kext in my EFI-folder with this adjusted for your 18 cores 36 threads CPU. This kext is mandatory.

Enclosed my USB-install EFI folder and TSCAdjustReset.kext for your CPU.

TSCAdjustReset.kext.zip

EFI.zip

• Like 2

On 1/8/2019 at 12:35 AM, travisndiesing said:

My motherboard does not have HDMI on the board itself, so I have to run my monitor through the HDMI on my Gigabyte GTX 1080Ti. We have a theory that this might be conflicting with the graphics on the CPU and causing a crash.

Check this site under under graphics:

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/334343-imac-pro-x299-live-the-future-new-with-macos-1014-mojave-successful-buildsuccessful-guide/

My board has neither HDMI but I am running RX Vega 64 witch is native.:thumbsup_anim: 

Edited by obus