Nvidia web driver in 10.14 Mojave

18 posts in this topic

I've been able to install the Nvidia web driver on Mojave, and it gets detected by the system, and the kexts are loaded

1029430336_Screenshot2018-06-10at18_10_10.png.62568cba11cf3c118d46867cc5e9c6e1.png

I did it using webdriver.sh and modifying the build version in this line by the latest supported build version (17F77).

However, this doesn't seem to work, as all the graphics are very laggy and apps using advanced rendering do not work properly, such as Maps.app

1152727826_Screenshot2018-06-10at18_14_00.thumb.png.991b6c6e51be9a71c57934db5b324cd0.png

In Console.app, I can see this lines:

"Core Image is now using the software OpenGL renderer. This will be slow."

1912237442_Screenshot2018-06-10at18_15_21.png.3386c667badf3b0d6e905e18fe776d94.png

Any idea how to fix or further debug this issue?

• Like 1

However, this doesn't seem to work, as all the graphics are very laggy and apps using advanced rendering do not work properly, such as Maps.app

This is because on 387.10.10.10.35.106 Metal support isn't functioning correctly with os10.14. Mojave relies heavily on Metal for rendering UI, AppKit and more...

Deprecation of OpenGL and OpenCL

Apps built using OpenGL and OpenCL will continue to run in macOS 10.14, but these legacy technologies are deprecated in macOS 10.14. Games and graphics-intensive apps that use OpenGL should now adopt Metal. Similarly, apps that use OpenCL for computational tasks should now adopt Metal and Metal Performance Shaders.

Metal is designed from the ground up to provide the best access to the modern GPUs on iOS, macOS, and tvOS devices. Metal avoids the overhead inherent in legacy technologies and exposes the latest graphics processing functionality. Unified support for graphics and compute in Metal lets your apps efficiently utilize the latest rendering techniques.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/06/04/opengl-opencl-deprecated-in-favor-of-metal-2-in-macos-1014-mojave

I'm hoping an updated version of N WD is released soon with metal functionality for Mojave as the saying goes *once you go black you never go back* Dark Mode is beaut...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The nVidia web drivers are coming, they are not canceled :) This information has been confirmed by an nVidia employee.

Hello, I cannot provide a date for the driver release but I will notify this thread when they are available.

Please stay tuned.
Thanks for your patience,

Tom

Source:

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1042520/-when-will-the-nvidia-web-drivers-be-released-for-macos-mojave-10-14-/

Edited by Common_Sense

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

sir my configuration is 

Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2

I am using msi nvidia geforce gtx 750 ti 

Intel Core i5 -6500 CPU

Bios F20

Iinstalled Mojave 10.14 please tell me how to enable Nvidia web driver,  which version used for , and please attach me the patched clover   

On 6/24/2018 at 9:05 PM, frnic said:

You have a 750 ti it says. I don't think you need Nvidia drivers, I have a 760 ti and it works fine with the built in support.

I don't know if this has been brought up elsewhere in the Forum; BUT, the 750TI is Maxwell the 760, (apparently is NOT), IS Native to MacOS.  The Maxwells, Pascals, and Turings will ALL need Web Drivers.  I too have a GTX-760, but it's NOT being used at the moment.  Before my Hackintosh died a few months ago, I was toying with the idea of installing the 760 alongside one of my 750TI SC Cards.  Never got the chance as the Hack died, (must have gotten jealous of my recent acquisition), after I bought a used Mid-2010 5,1 System.

Also, for Number Crunching, in addition to the Web Driver one may require the NVIDIA CUDA Driver too.  I make use of the Number Crunching App - BOINC and attach to SETI@Home as my primary Science Number Crunching Project.  Full OpenCL and CUDA Support are required by BOINC.

TL

MacOS Mojave

10.14.2 bèta 18C31g

it looks like i have Nvidia support with my Nvidia GT740, Default MacOS Graphic Driver

-with 10.14 and 10.14.1- i could not even open .jpg files without beachball

-now all .jpg .png and .pdf open fast and scroll very fast

MacOS Mojave - 10.14.2 Nvidia kepler support OOB

Pascal chip i don't know

it has OOB Nvidia support, you should try MacOS Mojave - 10.14.2 bèta 18C31g
https://developer.apple.com/news/releases/

Edited by himac59

On 11/4/2018 at 9:19 AM, himac59 said:

MacOS Mojave

10.14.2 bèta 18C31g

it looks like i have Nvidia support with my Nvidia GT740, Default MacOS Graphic Driver

-with 10.14 and 10.14.1- i could not even open .jpg files without beachball

-now all .jpg .png and .pdf open fast and scroll very fast

MacOS Mojave - 10.14.2 Nvidia kepler support OOB

Pascal chip i don't know

it has OOB Nvidia support, you should try MacOS Mojave - 10.14.2 bèta 18C31g
https://developer.apple.com/news/releases/

Yes, it's been mentioned, (somewhere, can't remember where), that Mojave has Native Kepler Support.  Kepler model cards are Pre-Maxwell.  So, as I stated in my last Post, Maxwell/Pascal/Turing Cards ALL need Web Drivers for Mojave.  (As well as in High Sierra and Sierra.  For El Capitan, Pascal and Turing are incompatible as the Web Drivers there ONLY go up to Maxwell.)

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, simonck said:

Help, I am a freakin noob and don't even know where to start. here's my system and my attempt at installing 40.113. what do i need to do?

Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 2.59.37 pm.png

Unfortunately, Web Driver 387.10.10.10.40.113 IS NOT Mojave Compatible...  You should've waited to install Mojave UNTIL Mojave Web Drivers are released...  NO KNOWN Date is yet available for the release of Mojave NVIDIA Web Drivers.  :-(

We are all in the same boat, here...  I'm still on High Sierra, 10.13.6 Sec Updt 003 - 17G4015 with Web Driver 387.10.10.10.40.113.  All is working here for me.  If you can, revert back to 10.13.6.

The GTX 775M may be a Kepler card and therefore works fine with the native Mojave drivers. 

There are no Nvidia Web Drivers that actually work for 10.14.x so there is no point to try to install them, they aren't going to provide anything of usable value for the machine. 

I can't find that chip in the list of chips on wiki so I can't say for certain that it is Kepler and not Maxwell, but considering the 770 and 780 were listed as kepler it could be likely that it too was kepler, then again it is mobile so that could throw that all out the window. 

Another option if it is not a kepler chip would be to disable it and rely on the iGPU that you likely have in that core i5 to run mojave. 

• 3 weeks later...

Apple Turns Its Back On Customers 

And NVIDIA With macOS Mojave

sign the petition for support Mojave 10.14 Nvidia

Tim Cook: Apple publicly commit to work with Nvidia on Mojave 10.14

https://www.change.org/p/tim-cook-apple-publicly-commit-to-work-with-nvidia-on-drivers-for-mac-os-10-14

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marcochiappetta/2018/12/11/apple-turns-its-back-on-customers-and-nvidia-with-macos-mojave/

Lets join this support and sign

Edited by himac59
better

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 7/6/2019 at 3:24 AM, ergot said:

same here...my GTX750ti is not working natively...

The GTX-750TI is a Maxwell Card AND Requires NVIDIA Web Drivers.  It WILL NEVER work Natively in MacOS.  ALSO; Maxwell, Pascal, and Turing Cards WILL NOT work in Mojave NOR in Catalina as there are NO Web Drivers available.  High Sierra is the LAST/MOST Current MacOS to allow Maxwell and Pascal Cards to work.  Turing Cards also WILL NOT work in High Sierra.

750/8x0/9x0 Cards are Maxwell

10x0 Cards are Pascal

16x0/20x0 Cards are Turing