preventing sleep, Insomina.kext doesnt work

Gcrumpets

14 posts in this topic

quick question that i can hopefully get an answer to,

i have loaded insomina.kext (downloaded from the forum) it said it loads succesfully so i dont see any errors there but yet when i close the lid my system still sleeps.

ive also tried using that program "sleepless" and its failed as well.

so if anyone has any suggestions or fixes that would be a big help, thanks

ive noticed a small detail thats porbably relevant to the problem...

when i close the lid it doesnt go to sleep fully, as the power button doesnt "pulse" and when i open the screen the wifi is still on but my display doesnt not come back on when i open it =/

anyone got an answer?

Apprently Not, if your having the same problem tho, try downloading the program sleepless,

it prevents my system from sleeping when i close the lid but the display wont come back when i open it....i just tried replacing the insomnia.kext file used by sleepless with the kext from this forum but that seems to have messed up something becuase once thats enabled and i restart osx doesnt boot..i have to shut down and restart again for osx to boot...

hopefully ill be able to find something that works soon, i dont usally put my laptop to sleep when running windows but i do like to shut the lid when im not using so this proble is kind of annoying

i've not tried insomnia... but ill look into it. i do have the same problems with sleep and want to disable it & i also like to close the lid of my lappie when not using it.

1 thing to keep in mind... some laptop BIOS's have a setting for what to do when you close the lid: stand by -- hibernate -- do nothing.

set it to 'do nothing' and see if that helps. ill try later when i feel like crashing osx :)

yeah ive checked my BIOS and no such option =/ which is wierd..but oh well...

so far ive gotten my system to not sleep, but the display faits to come on..yet system is still responsive to tapping the power button and hitting the space bar to reboot) BUT when i plug a 2nd monitor into my laptop the display comes back to life

I geuss its a littlle bit of progress

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I was running SleepLess 2.2.1 and then had to re-install after *TRYING* the 10.4.8 upgrade and not having luck with it...

SleepLess was working with a serial from SerialReader, and the esellerate engine crack, but now I can't get it to work! I was only able to get my hands on ONE esellerate engine crack, and my guess is that it just didn't work or was outdated or something, but now I can't get it to work :-/ I guess I'll try the insomnia kext now, but I'm curious as to whether or not anyone has any clue how to get around esellerate, or a link to a recent and working copy, with a WORKING download (I've been watching two failed torrents in Azureus for the past 2 hours...)

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I found a solution to this one. Enter this in terminal:

sudo su
(enter your password)
cd /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/
mv AppleACPIButtons.kext AppleACPIButtons.kext.off
rm /System/Library/Extensions.*

Then reboot and OS X won't even realize when the lid is closed. The only problem is that the power button no longer brings up the shutdown menu. Hold Ctrl + F12 to bring up the shutdown menu.

try deleting these files and folders completely

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleACPIButtons.kext

/System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

AFAIK this is the only way OS X interacts with the lid, solved the problem for me

Instead of deleting /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleACPIButtons.kext couldnt you modify the info.plist to remove the "Control Method Lid" to disable the lid button? If you delete the file you also lose your power button! Make sure to get everything between <dict> and </dict>. I would love to help test this for you guys but my lid button doesnt function :)