Anyone Successfully Built a Hackintosh on the Intel W-2155 CPU?

4 posts in this topic

I built my first Hackintosh two years ago, and I'm looking at a potential upgrade.  In particular, one capable of running a lot of threads simultaneously.  I am pretty unhappy with Apple's deliberate throttling of the W-2155 CPU in the iMac (specs: 3.3GHz which Apple throttles to 3.0GHz, and under heavy loads it's supposed to turbo up to 4.5GHz but to save a few dB on fan speed Apple throttles it >10% down).  My understanding is that Hackintosh building is much, much easier when you're using a CPU that Apple uses in its line, so I'm looking at the W-2155 as opposed to the i9-7940X (though I would prefer to use the i9 based on cost, threads, and OC ability).  I did a forum search and couldn't find any mention of using this CPU -- has anyone had success with it?

Edited by astroguy

Thanks!  Looks like it was not easy but eventually worked out.  I will likely wait until the iMac refresh on the off-chance that Apple uses an i9 chip in that sucker.  It's a cheaper chip with more threads ... but it's good to know this is a viable alternative.