AMD R7 250x high sierra

Lucy183

37 posts in this topic

I have an Asus R7 250x 2GB which works in Sierra with WhateverGreen+radpg=15 OR FakeSMC with Verde patch, but in High Sierra isn't working.

Whatever I try I get black screen on both DVI and hdmi, i can't test DP but I'm almost sure it's black screen too.

I tried: WhateverGreen, FakeSMC with Verde patch, RadeonDeInit, editing AMDRadeonX4000.kext and disabling some power gating.

1 hour ago, LuCyr04 said:

I have an Asus R7 250x 2GB which works in Sierra with WhateverGreen+radpg=15 OR FakeSMC with Verde patch, but in High Sierra isn't working.

Whatever I try I get black screen on both DVI and hdmi, i can't test DP but I'm almost sure it's black screen too.

I tried: WhateverGreen, FakeSMC with Verde patch, RadeonDeInit, editing AMDRadeonX4000.kext and disabling some power gating.

If you have access to windows use GPUz and dump your GPU's BIOS and put it inside the ROM folder under /EFI/Clover/ROM  and test with RadeonDeInit and see if it helps. for more info you can check this topic.

If you don't have access to windows you can use dpcimanager and dump the GPU's ROM.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

If you have access to windows use GPUz and dump your GPU's BIOS and put it inside the ROM folder under /EFI/Clover/ROM  and test with RadeonDeInit and see if it helps. for more info you can check this topic.

If you don't have access to windows you can use dpcimanager and dump the GPU's ROM.

Do I need to remove WhateverGreen first?

1 minute ago, LuCyr04 said:

And Load_vbios in clover, right?
I'll test later since I'm not home right now.

You don't need to use Load VBIOS necessarily but you can test with and without. At first don't use that flag if that didn't work give it a try.

• Like 1

I tried with and without load vbios and isn't working, same black screen

I can get it working under HS by rollback 10.12.6 kexts, but metal isn't working then and I need metal...

Also I don't have iGPU or 2 PCIe to use nvidia helper card(Desktop from signature, except the nvidia replaced with R7 250x)

Edited by LuCyr04

34 minutes ago, LuCyr04 said:

I tried with and without load vbios and isn't working, same black screen

I can get it working under HS by rollback 10.12.6 kexts, but metal isn't working then and I need metal...

Also I don't have iGPU or 2 PCIe to use nvidia helper card(Desktop from signature, except the nvidia replaced with R7 250x)

Does macOS boot ok with the nVidia GPU?

• Like 1

That's weird, did you install macOS with the nVidia GPU plugged and then switched to AMD or did you clean install? if not I suggest you do a kext cache, nvram clean up and see if that helps.

4 minutes ago, Allan said:

High Sierra broke the macOS sleep for many users. :(

Luckily sleep works just fine on my rig with the exception of the sound after sleep.

Edited by Cyberdevs
  • Like 1

That's weird, did you install macOS with the nVidia GPU plugged and then switched to AMD or did you clean install? if not I suggest you do a kext cache, nvram clean up and see if that helps.

My main os is installed a long time ago and updated through 4-5 macos versions and changed many components over the time...

But I did a clean install of 10.13.2 and 10.13.0 and same issue.

I also did nvram clear and rebuilding kernel cache, no change.

I'd read that for this card I need a helper card or uefi bios and whatevergreen, I don't have igpu or uefi... default_sad.png

Sent from my OnePlus 2 using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

Just now, LuCyr04 said:

My main os is installed a long time ago and updated thought 4-5 macos versions and changed many components over the time...
But I did a clean install of 10.13.2 and 10.13.0 and same issue.
I also did nvram clear and rebuilding kernel cache, no change.
I'd read that for this card I need a helper card or uefi bios and whatevergreen, I don't have igpu or uefi... :(

Oh, that's a bummer!

As I mentioned before I never could get macOS High Sierra to work on my EP45-DS3R rig, it always end up in the black screen. I haven't tested the 10.13.4 though but I just assumed that it wouldn't work either. I might give it try later and if I succeed to boot into macOS I'll let you know.

But as far as I know R7 250X doesn't have a UEFI BIOS itself although it can be UEFI compatible but there is no point of doing that I think since your mainboard doesn't support UEFI anyway.

I have an Sapphire 7790 with legacy BIOS which I modded the BIOS to be UEFI compatible and I will test that later on and see if it does help or not which is highly unlikely.

Oh, that's a bummer!
As I mentioned before I never could get macOS High Sierra to work on my EP45-DS3R rig, it always end up in the black screen. I haven't tested the 10.13.4 though but I just assumed that it wouldn't work either. I might give it try later and if I succeed to boot into macOS I'll let you know.
But as far as I know R7 250X doesn't have a UEFI BIOS itself although it can be UEFI compatible but there is no point of doing that I think since your mainboard doesn't support UEFI anyway.
I have an Sapphire 7790 with legacy BIOS which I modded the BIOS to be UEFI compatible and I will test that later on and see if it does help or not which is highly unlikely.
My r7 have uefi bios, or well.. at least gpu-z reports it have.
Maybe I can try to find an old bios for it without uefi...

• Like 1

Well if GPU-z says it has a UEFI BIOS then it definitely has the UEFI BIOS.

I'm not sure if you can find a Legacy BIOS for your GPU or not (everything is possible in the tech world though) but be careful with flashing your VBIOS you might end up bricking it.

Well if GPU-z says it has a UEFI BIOS then it definitely has the UEFI BIOS.
I'm not sure if you can find a Legacy BIOS for your GPU or not (everything is possible in the tech world though) but be careful with flashing your VBIOS you might end up bricking it.
Actually Asus doesn't provide uefi bios for it, maybe the previous owner modded it? Or gpu-z reports incorrectly...

Well I guess the previous owner might have modded the BIOS. if you are sure about that you can find the OEM BIOS for it and flash it back to the factory settings. But be cautious and make a back up of your existing BIOS before flashing it.

15 hours ago, Cyberdevs said:

Well I guess the previous owner might have modded the BIOS. if you are sure about that you can find the OEM BIOS for it and flash it back to the factory settings. But be cautious and make a back up of your existing BIOS before flashing it.

Nope, I was wrong, this model(asus r7 250x 2gb) came with uefi bios.

So I have no change to get it working without helper card under HS?

35 minutes ago, LuCyr04 said:

Nope, I was wrong, this model(asus r7 250x 2gb) came with uefi bios.

So I have no change to get it working without helper card under HS?

Does it work in safe mode? 
Have you disabled the ATI injection? it's quite useless for this card. Futomaki is wrong for this card.

The helper card is only needed for wake up.

Does it work in safe mode? 
Have you disabled the ATI injection? it's quite useless for this card. Futomaki is wrong for this card.
The helper card is only needed for wake up.
I don't have injection enabled.
In safe mode is working since isn't loading AMDRadeonX4000.kext

18 hours ago, LuCyr04 said:

I don't have injection enabled.
In safe mode is working since isn't loading AMDRadeonX4000.kext

Ok, if it works in safe mode, the power gating patch will not work. Have you tried to edit the AMDRadeonX4000.kext? CAIL_DisableGfxCGPowerGating to 1

If you change the FakeSMC IOPersonalities, be aware that the Bundle Identifier since HighSierra is different.
com.apple.AMDRadeonX4000         Sierra
com.apple.kext.AMDRadeonX4000  HighSierra

1 minute ago, wern apfel said:

Ok, if it works in safe mode, the power gating patch will not work. Have you tried to edit the AMDRadeonX4000.kext? CAIL_DisableGfxCGPowerGating to 1

If you change the FakeSMC IOPersonalities, be aware that the Bundle Identifier since HighSierra is different.
com.apple.AMDRadeonX4000         Sierra
com.apple.kext.AMDRadeonX4000  HighSierra

I know, disabling power gating works on Sierra but not on high sierra.

Actually on Sierra without disabling power gating it gives me a red glitchy screen with cursor, but on high sierra the screen is completely black.

• 3 months later...