Jump to content
JohnFante

Corrupted boot menu after monitor upgrade

29 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I just upgraded my monitor to a ASUSMG279 144mhz. monitor. Now my clover bootmenu looks garbled like attached. I have tried changing the screen resolution but with no succes. No issue at all when Sierra (and windows and linux) has booted. Just clover. Running latest version 4411.

Any suggestions?

IMG_0033.jpg

Edited by JohnFante

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement

Hey,

Let's try a few things in an attempt to fix this issue:

1. On Clover GUI, press F11. It's a clear NVRAM command. Clover will restart. Let's see if that makes any difference.

2. Try with a different Clover theme. Maybe try the default one first, just to take that out of the equation.

3. Try a different port on your GPU (if you can).

4. Try a BIOS reset.

5. Try a clean (new) Clover config. You can generate one with Clover Configurator.

6. If you have Inject EDID in your config, uncheck that option. Clover does that by default. No need to "force" it if everything's fine without it.

 

To be honest, that's the first time I see this issue. So don't take the things I said above as a guaranteed solution. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there some sort of scaling going on? Because it looks like its some tonycrap modified stuff with a scaling problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for all the good advice. I will test tonight! :-)

The problem happens both with the TonyMac-theme and the BGM-theme so I do not think it is a theme-problem but I will check others tonight.

Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found a solution. Changing port on the GPU solved the problem.

I was running DisplayPort (GPU) to Mini DisplayPort (monitor). I changed that to DVI output on the GPU to a HDMI input on the monitor and now the clover menu looks fine. Now the "problem" is that only DisplayPort on the monitor supports FreeSync.

I am running a Radeon R9 270X (two in crossfire to be precise) GPU.

I will try some more of the advise above to see if it solves the problem on DisplayPort. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, JohnFante said:

Found a solution. Changing port on the GPU solved the problem.

I was running DisplayPort (GPU) to Mini DisplayPort (monitor). I changed that to DVI output on the GPU to a HDMI input on the monitor and now the clover menu looks fine. Now the "problem" is that only DisplayPort on the monitor supports FreeSync.

I am running a Radeon R9 270X (two in crossfire to be precise) GPU.

I will try some more of the advise above to see if it solves the problem on DisplayPort. 

I see... Does the port layout look like in the image below? So, I guess you're using one GPU connected DP to DP and the other one connected DP to MiniDP, right?

If so, then...I don't know what else you could do. I mean, aside from what you've already done...

Sometimes, something like switching cables could help... I'm not saying it will definitely work. I'm just saying it might be worth trying, as weird as it may sound. Also, a different cable could also help with this, if the ones you're currently using are maybe not the best quality or something and they somehow interfere with each other.

As I said, I've never seen something like that before. So..I can only guess what's going on, and suggest possible solutions based on that. :)

Asus-MG279Q-ports1.jpg.1e9594ffcf16b8c917883eaf769c03f4.jpg

Edited by arsradu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/3/2018 at 11:13 AM, arsradu said:

I see... Does the port layout look like in the image below? So, I guess you're using one GPU connected DP to DP and the other one connected DP to MiniDP, right?

If so, then...I don't know what else you could do. I mean, aside from what you've already done...

Sometimes, something like switching cables could help... I'm not saying it will definitely work. I'm just saying it might be worth trying, as weird as it may sound. Also, a different cable could also help with this, if the ones you're currently using are maybe not the best quality or something and they somehow interfere with each other.

As I said, I've never seen something like that before. So..I can only guess what's going on, and suggest possible solutions based on that. :)

Asus-MG279Q-ports1.jpg.1e9594ffcf16b8c917883eaf769c03f4.jpg

Yes the bottum of the monitor looks like that. 

At first I connected the GPU via a displayport (GPU) to minidisplayport (monitor) cable that came with the monitor. I have just tried a standard displayport (gpu) to displayport (monitor) cable. The problem was the same. BIOS (or EFI to be precise) boot screen looks fine. Then it comes to clover. Looks as above. Then Sierra starts booting and at first the picture is twisted as with clover but then it changes and looks sharp. I can make a video if you want.

As mentioned the problem was not there with a DVI (gpu) to HDMI (monitor) cable. I will try tomorrow with a HDMI (GPU) to HDMI (monitor) cable.

Strange problem. But thank you very much for your help so far :-) 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnFante said:

Yes the bottum of the monitor looks like that. 

At first I connected the GPU via a displayport (GPU) to minidisplayport (monitor) cable that came with the monitor. I have just tried a standard displayport (gpu) to displayport (monitor) cable. The problem was the same. BIOS (or EFI to be precise) boot screen looks fine. Then it comes to clover. Looks as above. Then Sierra starts booting and at first the picture is twisted as with clover but then it changes and looks sharp. I can make a video if you want.

As mentioned the problem was not there with a DVI (gpu) to HDMI (monitor) cable. I will try tomorrow with a HDMI (GPU) to HDMI (monitor) cable.

Strange problem. But thank you very much for your help so far :-) 

Hmm...if it didn't work with a DVI to HDMI cable, I would have probably said it could be something related to the Clover. Since, from what I understand, it doesn't occur in BIOS (UEFI) and it doesn't occur when the video drivers are initialised (which is on the second stage boot). So...it only happens while in Clover GUI. Which usually points to a problem with the config.

Did you try with a fresh config? A brand new config generated with Clover Configurator, for example? Is it the same? Also, I know you mentioned that this issue doesn't occur with the BGM theme...but does it occur with the default one? :) This might also be interesting to see.

If it's not too much trouble, and ONLY after you clean all your serial numbers and stuff from it, could you, please, upload your current config.plist here to check it out?

So far, I'd say it is a Clover issue. But...then again, it works with a different connectivity...so..I don't know what to make of this. :) The config might bring some light into this, if you can share it for analysis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, arsradu said:

Hmm...if it didn't work with a DVI to HDMI cable, I would have probably said it could be something related to the Clover. Since, from what I understand, it doesn't occur in BIOS (UEFI) and it doesn't occur when the video drivers are initialised (which is on the second stage boot). So...it only happens while in Clover GUI. Which usually points to a problem with the config.

Did you try with a fresh config? A brand new config generated with Clover Configurator, for example? Is it the same? Also, I know you mentioned that this issue doesn't occur with the BGM theme...but does it occur with the default one? :) This might also be interesting to see.

If it's not too much trouble, and ONLY after you clean all your serial numbers and stuff from it, could you, please, upload your current config.plist here to check it out?

So far, I'd say it is a Clover issue. But...then again, it works with a different connectivity...so..I don't know what to make of this. :) The config might bring some light into this, if you can share it for analysis.

The problem also happens with the BGM-theme. It happens with all the themes I have tried. I have also tried booting from a freshly installed High Sierra install USB to see if this was related to something in my configuration/version of Clover but the problem is the same.

Below is my config.plist with the serials etc. deleted. I have not changed anything in it besides changing the resolution in clover (and that does not change anything) and telling it not to scan for legacy drives.

 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>ACPI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>DSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Debug</key>
			<false/>
			<key>DropOEM_DSM</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Name</key>
			<string>DSDT.aml</string>
			<key>ReuseFFFF</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
		<key>SSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>DropOem</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Generate</key>
			<dict>
				<key>APLF</key>
				<true/>
				<key>APSN</key>
				<true/>
				<key>CStates</key>
				<false/>
				<key>PStates</key>
				<false/>
				<key>PluginType</key>
				<true/>
			</dict>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>Boot</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Arguments</key>
		<string>dart=0</string>
		<key>Debug</key>
		<false/>
		<key>DefaultVolume</key>
		<string>Sierra</string>
		<key>Legacy</key>
		<string>PBR</string>
		<key>Secure</key>
		<false/>
		<key>Timeout</key>
		<integer>3</integer>
		<key>XMPDetection</key>
		<false/>
	</dict>
	<key>CPU</key>
	<dict>
		<key>UseARTFrequency</key>
		<false/>
	</dict>
	<key>Devices</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Audio</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Inject</key>
			<string>1</string>
		</dict>
		<key>FakeID</key>
		<dict>
			<key>ATI</key>
			<string>0x0</string>
			<key>IMEI</key>
			<string>0x0</string>
			<key>IntelGFX</key>
			<string>0x0</string>
			<key>LAN</key>
			<string>0x0</string>
			<key>NVidia</key>
			<string>0x0</string>
			<key>SATA</key>
			<string>0x0</string>
			<key>WIFI</key>
			<string>0x0</string>
			<key>XHCI</key>
			<string>0x0</string>
		</dict>
		<key>USB</key>
		<dict>
			<key>FixOwnership</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Inject</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>DisableDrivers</key>
	<array>
		<string>Nothing</string>
	</array>
	<key>GUI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Hide</key>
		<array>
			<string>\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI</string>
			<string>Windows</string>
		</array>
		<key>Language</key>
		<string>en:0</string>
		<key>Mouse</key>
		<dict>
			<key>DoubleClick</key>
			<integer>500</integer>
			<key>Enabled</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Mirror</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Speed</key>
			<integer>8</integer>
		</dict>
		<key>Scan</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Entries</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Legacy</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Linux</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Tool</key>
			<true/>
		</dict>
		<key>ScreenResolution</key>
		<string>1600x900</string>
		<key>Theme</key>
		<string>BGM</string>
	</dict>
	<key>Graphics</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Inject</key>
		<dict>
			<key>ATI</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Intel</key>
			<true/>
			<key>NVidia</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
		<key>NvidiaSingle</key>
		<false/>
	</dict>
	<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
	<dict>
		<key>AppleIntelCPUPM</key>
		<true/>
		<key>AppleRTC</key>
		<true/>
		<key>Debug</key>
		<false/>
		<key>KernelCpu</key>
		<false/>
		<key>KernelLapic</key>
		<false/>
		<key>KernelPm</key>
		<true/>
		<key>KernelXCPM</key>
		<false/>
		<key>KextsToPatch</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>External icons patch</string>
				<key>Disabled</key>
				<false/>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				RXh0ZXJuYWw=
				</data>
				<key>InfoPlistPatch</key>
				<false/>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>AppleAHCIPort</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				SW50ZXJuYWw=
				</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>10.9-10.12-AppleHDA/Realtek ALC1150</string>
				<key>Disabled</key>
				<false/>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				ixnUEQ==
				</data>
				<key>InfoPlistPatch</key>
				<false/>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>AppleHDA</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				AAnsEA==
				</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>10.12-AppleHDA/Realtek ALC...</string>
				<key>Disabled</key>
				<false/>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				ihnUEQ==
				</data>
				<key>InfoPlistPatch</key>
				<false/>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>AppleHDA</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				AAAAAA==
				</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>AppleHDA/Resources/xml&gt;zml</string>
				<key>Disabled</key>
				<false/>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				eG1sLnps
				</data>
				<key>InfoPlistPatch</key>
				<false/>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>AppleHDA</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				em1sLnps
				</data>
			</dict>
		</array>
	</dict>
	<key>RtVariables</key>
	<dict>
		<key>BooterConfig</key>
		<string>0x28</string>
		<key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
		<string>0x3</string>
	</dict>
	<key>SMBIOS</key>
	<dict>
		<key>BiosReleaseDate</key>
		<string>09/03/2013</string>
		<key>BiosVendor</key>
		<string>Apple Inc.</string>
		<key>BiosVersion</key>
		<string>IM142.88Z.0118.B00.1309031249</string>
		<key>Board-ID</key>
		<string>Mac-27XXXXXXXXXXXXXX</string>
		<key>BoardManufacturer</key>
		<string>Apple Inc.</string>
		<key>BoardType</key>
		<integer>10</integer>
		<key>ChassisAssetTag</key>
		<string>iMac-Aluminum</string>
		<key>ChassisManufacturer</key>
		<string>Apple Inc.</string>
		<key>ChassisType</key>
		<string>13</string>
		<key>Family</key>
		<string>iMac</string>
		<key>Manufacturer</key>
		<string>Apple Inc.</string>
		<key>ProductName</key>
		<string>iMac14,2</string>
		<key>SerialNumber</key>
		<string>XXXXXXXXXXXXXX</string>
		<key>Trust</key>
		<false/>
		<key>Version</key>
		<string>1.0</string>
	</dict>
	<key>SystemParameters</key>
	<dict>
		<key>InjectKexts</key>
		<string>Yes</string>
		<key>InjectSystemID</key>
		<true/>
	</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Found the solution. I changed the DisplayPort-stream on the monitor from the default 1.2 to 1.1. The screenshot is from the monitor manual.

Apparently my GPU and Clover does not like 1.2. 

I have two Sapphire R9 270X in crossfire:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/productdetial.asp?pid=524951DE-D0A8-44F4-ABD9-ABCE79A16F73&lang=eng

Can not find any info on their max DP stream but apparently it is 1.1 when combined with Clover.

No matter what. Thank you for all your help, and if you have any suggestions for my config.plist I would be glad to hear them :-)

Skærmbillede 2018-03-17 kl. 09.59.14.png

Edited by JohnFante

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, JohnFante said:

Found the solution. I changed the DisplayPort-stream on the monitor from the default 1.2 to 1.1. The screenshot is from the monitor manual.

Apparently my GPU and Clover does not like 1.2. 

I have two Sapphire R9 270X in crossfire:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/productdetial.asp?pid=524951DE-D0A8-44F4-ABD9-ABCE79A16F73&lang=eng

Can not find any info on their max DP stream but apparently it is 1.1 when combined with Clover.

No matter what. Thank you for all your help, and if you have any suggestions for my config.plist I would be glad to hear them :-)

Skærmbillede 2018-03-17 kl. 09.59.14.png

Hey!

Glad you fixed it. :)

Yeah, actually a few things about your config. :P

Uhm...why is Clover GUI set to 1600x900 resolution in your config if your monitor's native resolution is 2560x1440? :))

Also, if you're not using the Intel graphics card, why Inject Intel in config?

Also also, when you're uploading a config file, it helps a lot to actually have it attached to the post, instead of copy-pasted into it. Especially if it's the full config and not just a part of it. If you can't attach it as plist file, make a zip archive of it and attach it like that. :) It's a loooot to scroll when you're simply pasting it into the post. :) Also, obviously you can't use Clover Configurator to open it in a more user friendly way. Anyway, don't worry, I managed to paste it in one of my config.plist files so I can see it with CC.

I've got a curiosity, does this occur if you only use one of the two cards? With stream 1.2 whatever.. I'm not sure it's relevant in this case, to be honest. But then again, I can't deny the fact that it strangely works when you lower it to 1.1... Could be an incompatibility somewhere, too.

Edited by arsradu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, arsradu said:

Hey!

Glad you fixed it. :)

Yeah, actually a few things about your config. :P

Uhm...why is Clover GUI set to 1600x900 resolution in your config if your monitor's native resolution is 2560x1440? :))

Also, if you're not using the Intel graphics card, why Inject Intel in config?

Also also, when you're uploading a config file, it helps a lot to actually have it attached to the post, instead of copy-pasted into it. Especially if it's the full config and not just a part of it. If you can't attach it as plist file, make a zip archive of it and attach it like that. :) It's a loooot to scroll when you're simply pasting it into the post. :) Also, obviously you can't use Clover Configurator to open it in a more user friendly way. Anyway, don't worry, I managed to paste it in one of my config.plist files so I can see it with CC.

I've got a curiosity, does this occur if you only use one of the two cards? With stream 1.2 whatever.. I'm not sure it's relevant in this case, to be honest. But then again, I can't deny the fact that it strangely works when you lower it to 1.1... Could be an incompatibility somewhere, too.

Well changing to 1.1 fixed the clover issue it but at the same time created another problem. When changing to stream 1.1 from 1.2 it locks the resolution to 1900x1100 in Sierra. I did not notice at first but it did. Changing to 1.2 got it up to 2560x1440 again but that gave me back my clover menu problem. More on that later.

Thank you for checking my config. Sorry about posting the complete file. Saw the code function and went with it :-)

I do not know why it was injecting Intel. I have disabled that in the BIOS. I have also removed it in config via clover configurator. Did not make any difference but good to have it fixed. :-)

Regarding the resolution. I have now set the resolution to 2560x1440 in clover configurator as suggested and it is changed in the config file. Everything should be fine. However when I boot clover is stuck to 1600x1200 no matter what I resolution I try in clover configurator and config. See screenshot. I have also tried resetting NVRAM. Both via F11 and via terminal in Sierra but with no changes. 

So again I think we are back to some kind of clover issue.

I have not taken out one of my graphics cards. I will maybe try that later.

IMG_0040.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hmm...someone (SavageAUS) suggested disabling CSM in BIOS in a post above. Did you try that? Cause it is important. Also, I hope you're not using CSMVideoDxe driver. You shouldn't need that, and, in my experience, it can also create resolution issues.

So no CSMVideoDxe (especially since the card should be UEFI supported by default) and CSM disabled in BIOS (should be somewhere under Windows settings...something like that). If you can't locate it, post the model of your motherboard and I'll try to guide you through it.

Also, when you have a bit of time, it would be really useful if you could add your hardware information to your signature, for easy access. It helps a lot. :)

Edited by arsradu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, arsradu said:

Hmm...someone (SavageAUS) suggested disabling CSM in BIOS in a post above. Did you try that? Cause it is important. Also, I hope you're not using CSMVideoDxe driver. You shouldn't need that, and, in my experience, it can also create resolution issues.

So no CSMVideoDxe (especially since the card should be UEFI supported by default) and CSM disabled in BIOS (should be somewhere under Windows settings...something like that). If you can't locate it, post the model of your motherboard and I'll try to guide you through it.

Also, when you have a bit of time, it would be really useful if you could add your hardware information to your signature, for easy access. It helps a lot. :)

I have set the bios to "Other OS". That should be the same as disabling CSM. Or?

In short I followed the guide at TonyMac:

Quote

1. To access BIOS/UEFI Setup, press and hold Delete on a USB Keyboard while the system is booting up
2. Load Optimized Defaults
3. If your CPU supports VT-d, disable it
4. If your system has CFG-Lock, disable it
5. If your system has Secure Boot Mode, disable it
6. Set OS Type to Other OS
7. If your system has IO Serial Port, disable it
8. Set XHCI Handoff to Enabled
9. If you have a 6 series or x58 system with AWARD BIOS, disable USB 3.0
10. Save and exit

I have attached a screenshot of the drivers I have installed.

Last but not least I have put my specs in my signature.

Skærmbillede 2018-03-18 kl. 14.39.27.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hmm... I don't think it's the same thing. :) But I'm still investigating that part.

But since now you posted your hardware info, I can get searching.

In the meantime, I read somewhere that your Graphics Card has a button, as in physical button you can press to enable UEFI GOP booting? Can you make sure it's pressed on both cards?

 

Update:

Ok, it seems that, when you select Other OS, CSM is set to ALWYAS. Which is NOT what we want. It has to be set to Never (EVER!) :)). And for that, if I understood correctly, you need to manually specify Windows 8 and set CSM to NEVER.

CSM is the Compatibility Support Module. And it's used only by legacy Windows versions. If you don't use Windows, or if you use Windows versions newer than XP and 7 (I think Windows 8 is the first one with UEFI support), you should be fine with that option turned OFF. Also, when it's OFF, it enables the system to run in full UEFI mode, including full native resolution. So yeah, that s**t needs to go.

Edited by arsradu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, arsradu said:

Hmm... I don't think it's the same thing. :) But I'm still investigating that part.

But since now you posted your hardware info, I can get searching.

In the meantime, I read somewhere that your Graphics Card has a button, as in physical button you can press to enable UEFI GOP booting? Can you make sure it's pressed on both cards?

 

Update:

Ok, it seems that, when you select Other OS, CSM is set to ALWYAS. Which is NOT what we want. It has to be set to Never (EVER!) :)). And for that, if I understood correctly, you need to manually specify Windows 8 and set CSM to NEVER.

CSM is the Compatibility Support Module. And it's used only by legacy Windows versions. If you don't use Windows, or if you use Windows versions newer than XP and 7 (I think Windows 8 is the first one with UEFI support), you should be fine with that option turned OFF. Also, when it's OFF, it enables the system to run in full UEFI mode, including full native resolution. So yeah, that s**t needs to go.

This is a bit strange. When I select Windows 8 and disable CSM support in the BIOS everything looks fine. Then I save and exit and the system reboots but when I go into the BIOS to double check that the settings are as they should be CSM is turned on again!?!

As far as I can see my card does not have a button to select between the different BIOS's. On the manufactures webpage is says that it supports both.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/productdetial.asp?pid=524951DE-D0A8-44F4-ABD9-ABCE79A16F73&lang=eng

Strange ....

UPDATE: Apparently that is what is supposed to happend if the cards GPU is not set to UEFI boot. I will look at my GPU more closely. Will get bavk! 

Edited by JohnFante

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, JohnFante said:

This is a bit strange. When I select Windows 8 and disable CSM support in the BIOS everything looks fine. Then I save and exit and the system reboots but when I go into the BIOS to double check that the settings are as they should be CSM is turned on again!?!

As far as I can see my card does not have a button to select between the different BIOS's. On the manufactures webpage is says that it supports both.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/productdetial.asp?pid=524951DE-D0A8-44F4-ABD9-ABCE79A16F73&lang=eng

Strange ....

Alright. Then what I would suggest is to try and find out if both of your cards actually do use a UEFI GOP VBIOS. Unfortunately, the only way I know to find that out, is through Windows, using GPU-Z... Yeah, I know. You would think there's a software for Mac, as well. And it probably is...I just don't know of any.

Also, one thing that you might want to check is your VBIOS version. You can do that too with the same GPU-Z. I don't think that's what's causing the issue. In fact, now I'm pretty sure it's the CSM, but just to have some extra information, it would be a good thing to know.

Right now, I think one (or both) of the cards is not using a UEFI GOP VBIOS (although it does support it, it's just not currently installed/in use), forcing the BIOS to revert CSM back to Always, so you can boot properly. So let's see if I'm correct. Let's check the UEFI status of your cards. And also, please, do make a note of your BIOS version, as well. You can take screenshots even. That might be easier. And you can capture more data in a shorter time.

Here's what you should be seeing in GPU-Z if the card is currently using UEFI GOP VBIOS.

GPUZ-R9-380.gif.96dddbad14b047bd323e4ddd84d6ed6c.gif

Edited by arsradu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Alright. Then what I would suggest is to try and find out if both of your cards actually do use a UEFI GOP VBIOS. Unfortunately, the only way I know to find that out, is through Windows, using GPU-Z... Yeah, I know. You would think there's a software for Mac, as well. And it probably is...I just don't know of any.

Also, one thing that you might want to check is your VBIOS version. You can do that too with the same GPU-Z. I don't think that's what's causing the issue. In fact, now I'm pretty sure it's the CSM, but just to have some extra information, it would be a good thing to know.

Right now, I think one (or both) of the cards is not using a UEFI GOP VBIOS (although it does support it, it's just not currently installed/in use), forcing the BIOS to revert CSM back to Always, so you can boot properly. So let's see if I'm correct. Let's check the UEFI status of your cards. And also, please, do make a note of your BIOS version, as well. You can take screenshots even. That might be easier. And you can capture more data in a shorter time.

Here's what you should be seeing in GPU-Z if the card is currently using UEFI GOP VBIOS.

GPUZ-R9-380.gif.96dddbad14b047bd323e4ddd84d6ed6c.gif

Thank you :-)

I have tested the top card and it is not UEFI and the BIOS version is not the latest. I will check the other card tomorrow. 

I really appreciate all your help :-D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, JohnFante said:

Thank you :-)

I have tested the top card and it is not UEFI and the BIOS version is not the latest. I will check the other card tomorrow. 

I really appreciate all your help :-D

Well I tried flashing one of my cards with a newer BIOS . https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?architecture=&manufacturer=Sapphire&model=R9+270X&version=&interface=&memType=&memSize=4096&since=

That did not go well :(. My computer will not boot with the new BIOS and I can only boot windows in safe mode (with output from the built in Intel) where I can not use ATI flash since it needs admin rights and you can not use admin rights in safe mode .... I now have to make an Windows 10 install USB and use that to boot with admin rights and then - hopefully - flash the card back ... and I will not have time to do that before easter.

However I am pretty sure that my problem is UEFI-related. When I boot from the internal intel GPU there are no graphic corruption in clover. Looks fine. 

So I am more or less stuck where I am. No my focus is on getting my card up and running and then we will see.

Thank you once again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, JohnFante said:

Well I tried flashing one of my cards with a newer BIOS . https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?architecture=&manufacturer=Sapphire&model=R9+270X&version=&interface=&memType=&memSize=4096&since=

That did not go well :(. My computer will not boot with the new BIOS and I can only boot windows in safe mode (with output from the built in Intel) where I can not use ATI flash since it needs admin rights and you can not use admin rights in safe mode .... I now have to make an Windows 10 install USB and use that to boot with admin rights and then - hopefully - flash the card back ... and I will not have time to do that before easter.

However I am pretty sure that my problem is UEFI-related. When I boot from the internal intel GPU there are no graphic corruption in clover. Looks fine. 

So I am more or less stuck where I am. No my focus is on getting my card up and running and then we will see.

Thank you once again!

I guess you made a backup of your current VBIOS before flashing, right? Did the flashing itself go well? Did you flash both cards at the same time? Did you try booting with a single card? Did you try loading optimised defaults in BIOS? Did you try clearing NVRAM? What do you mean you can't boot? What happens when you try to boot?

I would suggest trying to request a newer version on the manufacturer's forum, if you can. I don't particularly trust techpowerup in terms of BIOS files. When I flashed my GTX650, the guys on the forum told me they need the card's serial number, to assure the BIOS they provide is perfectly compatible for my card. They also mentioned the model is not enough. Now, of course, yours is an AMD card, mine is Nvidia. Yours is from Sapphire, mine is from MSi. What I'm trying to say is that there are clear differences here. So..it might be different for you. Still, I tend to believe the card model is not enough. So the BIOS might or might not be compatible with your specific card.

I actually tried to flash an R9 270X from Gigabyte if I'm not mistaken. And although the flashing went ok, and everything seemed to work perfectly fine, after a while, I had all kinds of troubles with the newer BIOS. So I reverted to the backup I had and everything went back to normal. Now, of course, in my case, I was able to boot with no issues. So your issue is definitely more difficult. But I still have hope for it.

If you still the issue UEFI related (which I doubt, because you're not the only one with this issue), you can also try an update on that side (but careful :)). You don't want your motherboard to fail now. That would be really bad. Although there are solutions for that case, too. And Gigabyte boards usually feature dual-bios (which is awesome, in my opinion). It's still not something to be desired. :) But let's hope we won't have to go there.

Edited by arsradu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, arsradu said:

I guess you made a backup of your current VBIOS before flashing, right? Did the flashing itself go well? Did you flash both cards at the same time? Did you try booting with a single card? Did you try loading optimised defaults in BIOS? Did you try clearing NVRAM? What do you mean you can't boot? What happens when you try to boot?

I would suggest trying to request a newer version on the manufacturer's forum, if you can. I don't particularly trust techpowerup in terms of BIOS files. When I flashed my GTX650, the guys on the forum told me they need the card's serial number, to assure the BIOS they provide is perfectly compatible for my card. They also mentioned the model is not enough. Now, of course, yours is an AMD card, mine is Nvidia. Yours is from Sapphire, mine is from MSi. What I'm trying to say is that there are clear differences here. So..it might be different for you. Still, I tend to believe the card model is not enough. So the BIOS might or might not be compatible with your specific card.

I actually tried to flash an R9 270X from Gigabyte if I'm not mistaken. And although the flashing went ok, and everything seemed to work perfectly fine, after a while, I had all kinds of troubles with the newer BIOS. So I reverted to the backup I had and everything went back to normal. Now, of course, in my case, I was able to boot with no issues. So your issue is definitely more difficult. But I still have hope for it.

If you still the issue UEFI related (which I doubt, because you're not the only one with this issue), you can also try an update on that side (but careful :)). You don't want your motherboard to fail now. That would be really bad. Although there are solutions for that case, too. And Gigabyte boards usually feature dual-bios (which is awesome, in my opinion). It's still not something to be desired. :) But let's hope we won't have to go there.

I have a backup of my BIOS and I am quite confident I will get it up and running again. Just need to get into Windows with the card installed and not be in safe mode :-)

When I flashed (flash went well) and rebooted the screen was just black and nothing happen. Apparently the card did not initialize and since I did not have my built in graphics card enabled at the time it just halted. I then switched to the card that worked, enabled intel and got things running. Everytime i boot windows with the card installed (running from the built in intel) and it is not in safemode the system crashed. When you are in safemode you can not use admin rights and then I can not reflash. To do that I need to make a install Windows 10 install USB and that I can first do at easter. Bit busy schedule at the moment :-)

I will try asking for a new bios at the Sapphire forum.

I am rather sure this is UEFI related/graphics card related since there was no menu corruption in clover when I used the internal intel graphics card. I have not changed anything in my BIOS. I had allready done the load optimized defaults when I installed Sierra.

I will try to get a hold of a newer/correct BIOS from Sapphire and see if that helps. I am running the latest BIOS on my mobo. 

I will get back to you when I have news :-)

Once again than you for all your help. Much appreciated!
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JohnFante said:

I have a backup of my BIOS and I am quite confident I will get it up and running again. Just need to get into Windows with the card installed and not be in safe mode :-)

When I flashed (flash went well) and rebooted the screen was just black and nothing happen. Apparently the card did not initialize and since I did not have my built in graphics card enabled at the time it just halted. I then switched to the card that worked, enabled intel and got things running. Everytime i boot windows with the card installed (running from the built in intel) and it is not in safemode the system crashed. When you are in safemode you can not use admin rights and then I can not reflash. To do that I need to make a install Windows 10 install USB and that I can first do at easter. Bit busy schedule at the moment :-)

I will try asking for a new bios at the Sapphire forum.

I am rather sure this is UEFI related/graphics card related since there was no menu corruption in clover when I used the internal intel graphics card. I have not changed anything in my BIOS. I had allready done the load optimized defaults when I installed Sierra.

I will try to get a hold of a newer/correct BIOS from Sapphire and see if that helps. I am running the latest BIOS on my mobo. 

I will get back to you when I have news :-)

Once again than you for all your help. Much appreciated!
 

You're very welcome. :) There are actually ways you can flash your card from DOS. So no Windows 10 needed. :P How would you do it with that USB drive anyway? What's your plan? I'm not sure I understood that part....

Anyway, what you will need, is a USB drive. That you already have. And I'm not sure about safe mode.... But I guess you can switch again to the working card, get the USB drive done and ready, then add the second card (or maybe just REPLACE one card with the other...you will see why I'm saying that in a second) and give it a try.

I found a really long (but very comprehensive) article on how to do DOS flashing here. It doesn't matter if it's for the 290X. The method is the same. I would say go check it out when you have some time. 

Also, the article advises against using multiple cards at the same time. So after getting the USB drive ready with the working card, maybe try to remove that card and replace it with the other one (the one you're about to fix).

Quote

 

  1. NEVER FLASH UNTIL YOU HAVE BACKED UP YOUR CURRENT BIOS!
  2. NEVER FLASH VIA WINDOWS!
  3. NEVER FLASH OVERCLOCKED!
  4. TRY NOT TO FLASH WITH MORE THAN 1 GPU!

 

About Intel GPU...I know I read somewhere that this doesn't apply there for some reason. I just can't remember why. Also, just out of curiosity, is CSM still set to Always in this case? Are you able to boot in full resolution with the Intel GPU? I'm just curious. :) 

Anyway, when you have more info, if you wanna share it, I'm here to help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, arsradu said:

You're very welcome. :) There are actually ways you can flash your card from DOS. So no Windows 10 needed. :P How would you do it with that USB drive anyway? What's your plan? I'm not sure I understood that part....

Anyway, what you will need, is a USB drive. That you already have. And I'm not sure about safe mode.... But I guess you can switch again to the working card, get the USB drive done and ready, then add the second card (or maybe just REPLACE one card with the other...you will see why I'm saying that in a second) and give it a try.

I found a really long (but very comprehensive) article on how to do DOS flashing here. It doesn't matter if it's for the 290X. The method is the same. I would say go check it out when you have some time. 

Also, the article advises against using multiple cards at the same time. So after getting the USB drive ready with the working card, maybe try to remove that card and replace it with the other one (the one you're about to fix).

About Intel GPU...I know I read somewhere that this doesn't apply there for some reason. I just can't remember why. Also, just out of curiosity, is CSM still set to Always in this case? Are you able to boot in full resolution with the Intel GPU? I'm just curious. :) 

Anyway, when you have more info, if you wanna share it, I'm here to help.

Found the same guide searching so I will give that i go during the week. Thank you :-)

When the intel gpu is enabled I can turn off CSM and it boots extremely quickly and in full 2560x1440.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JohnFante said:

Found the same guide searching so I will give that i go during the week. Thank you :-)

When the intel gpu is enabled I can turn off CSM and it boots extremely quickly and in full 2560x1440.

I see... Ok, so the glitch is probably caused either by booting with two cards...oooorrr, by the lack of UEFI VBIOS... Or, as you said, maybe the motherboard UEFI... I don't know. I guess we'll see. Anyway, don't worry. I think we'll get it done in the end. :) It has to work. :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×