Corrupted boot menu after monitor upgrade

JohnFante

29 posts in this topic

Your card doesn't have a UEFI firmware option rom. Also because of this it appears that clover thinks that you have set the mode to whatever you set in your config, but that is obviously failing because you probably only have a few VESA modes like 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, etc, up to 1600x1200. It fails to set the mode but probably returns that it does or something, and because of this I think it thinks the screen is different size and drawing for that resolution which is then incorrectly displayed on the screen as the pixels aren't in correct order. Are you using CsmVideoDxe driver? That would probably fix your issue if not, or if you are removing it may.

5 hours ago, apianti said:

Your card doesn't have a UEFI firmware option rom. Also because of this it appears that clover thinks that you have set the mode to whatever you set in your config, but that is obviously failing because you probably only have a few VESA modes like 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, etc, up to 1600x1200. It fails to set the mode but probably returns that it does or something, and because of this I think it thinks the screen is different size and drawing for that resolution which is then incorrectly displayed on the screen as the pixels aren't in correct order. Are you using CsmVideoDxe driver? That would probably fix your issue if not, or if you are removing it may.

Well, my GTX 650 didn't have a UEFI GOP VBIOS initially (and officially). Requested one on MSi forum, flashed it, all fine ever since. So it's definitely not a lost cause.

Also, in my experience, the CSMVideoDxe driver created more issues than it solved. Personally I would suggest pushing towards a UEFI VBIOS, if possible, and solving this issue once and for all. :) 

At least that's my opinion. 

• Thanks 1

On 20/3/2018 at 8:03 AM, arsradu said:

I see... Ok, so the glitch is probably caused either by booting with two cards...oooorrr, by the lack of UEFI VBIOS... Or, as you said, maybe the motherboard UEFI... I don't know. I guess we'll see. Anyway, don't worry. I think we'll get it done in the end. :) It has to work. :D 

VICTORY!!

I got the card with the bad flash working again. And got the correct UEFI Bios from Sapphire (big thumps up to their support. Very fas and service minded!). I have flashed with the new UEFI BIOS. Changed to Windows 8 and set it to never to remove CSM and now the menu problem is gone :-D

Clear and sharp Clover menu in 2560x1440. 

Thank you so much for all you help and good advice!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JohnFante said:

VICTORY!!

I got the card with the bad flash working again. And got the correct UEFI Bios from Sapphire (big thumps up to their support. Very fas and service minded!). I have flashed with the new UEFI BIOS. Changed to Windows 8 and set it to never to remove CSM and now the menu problem is gone :-D

Clear and sharp Clover menu in 2560x1440. 

Thank you so much for all you help and good advice!

Yeeep. That's how you do it.

Big high five! I'm glad you did it. Proud of you.

Nicely done!

Also, I'm glad I could help. :)