[Rumor] Apple wants bring mobile Apps to the next macOS update - Good idea?

Allan

10 posts in this topic

A new Apple projects called "Marzipan" popped out in the internet, and some people believes that this could be a next big update to macOS.

Maybe this will happen because the App Store for macOS is more and more "abandoned", and for the devs, building the app for MacOS and iOS is a very hardworking. When this happen, sometimes an app receives more updates than other version, a nightmare.

That's not a big news in the Desktop systems, the Windows 10 users knows that, and now the Google's OS (Chrome OS) are in the same way.

What do you think about that guys?  :)

Source: Bloomberg

• Like 2

It was just a matter of time. As the OP pointed out, the Mac App Store is all but dead because of strict policies applied by Apple and the little to nothing incentives to bring applications on the store (there's a lot of professional software, or just renowned software, that should definitely be on the MAS). Besides, there a few apps (especially games) that are already sort of "universal", GUI-wise. This is why Apple should absolutely save the MAS and make it a great store where trusted and/or longtime developers can publish their apps (why isn't Opera there? Why not the Arturia and Korg synths? And so on). I add that both free and opensource apps should be allowed for free. Combining this with universal Mac-iOS apps, Apple could success where Microsoft blatantly failed. But Universal apps alone aren't going to help Mac OS.

Universal binaries are hardly a new concept for Apple's OS. They, of all companies, know all about the...quirks...of mixing processor architectures  :P

In the past though, whether Universal binaries were for 68k/PPC or PPC/Intel, notice the OS was always the same. You built a single code base, and compiled for multiple architectures. So logically, macOS and iOS should be nearly one and the same for this plan to be effective. And while I like that idea in principle, it makes me nervous, because Apple's infamous tendencies toward mobile-oriented experiences would hint that it is more likely for Apple to remove valuable features from the system. And/or switch Macs to ARM architecture (actually not an unreasonable or novel prediction).

Imagine having to jailbreak a Mac. That would be horrifying.

why isn't Opera there? Why not the Arturia and Korg synths? And so on)

Can't speak for Opera of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if most pro music software wouldn't make it on there regardless of reasonable changes. Soft synth manufacturers really, really, really don't want to play by anyone's rules but their own, especially the more they cost. MAS would make licensing schemes like EastWest's (using iLok) impossible, and some like Native Instruments are probably perfectly comfortable with their own licensing methods. But that's a bit of a tangent  ^_^

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is a great idea, as long as Apple does not cut away features from existing applications.

On the other side, in the long term, it may bring more professional software / dev tools to iOS. It increases the motivation to develop for the platform since there are more possible customers per App.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...