GeForce 7900GS for $149 at Best Buy

18 posts in this topic

Just an FYI for you guys who want a well-performing card in both OS X (with QE/OGL/CI/Q2E) and Windows - Best Buy has a sale on the 7900GS for $149.99 - The PNY model they're selling works fine under OS X with Titan with no kext editing required.

7900GS > 7600GT

Just sharing the news. :sorcerer:

Just an FYI for you guys who want a well-performing card in both OS X (with QE/OGL/CI/Q2E) and Windows - Best Buy has a sale on the 7900GS for $149.99 - The PNY model they're selling works fine under OS X with Titan with no kext editing required.

7900GS > 7600GT

Just sharing the news. :thumbsup_anim:

Bought a 7300GS last night at one BestBuy because they were sold out of th 7900GS. Got the 7300GS because in the HCL one guy posted that it works flawlessly out of the box with Natit. Got home -- bubkis! Stayed up all night and couldn't get it to work.

Took it back today to BestBuy, and lo and behold they had 3 7900GS. Just exchanged and paid a few $$ more. Can't wait to go home tonight and plug it in. I hope it works as you have said. I'll report back later tonight.

/mdg.

Snatched mine up yesterday. 10.4.8 semthex, neo's natit_uni, and voila! DVI out is what I've been looking for, and it autodetects any monitor I plug in to it (it knows the monitor brand and type in display preferences, and even refresh rates).

I highly recommend it!

I picked up an MSI NX7900GT-VT2D256E (I like this card as it also can do VIVO in Windows) and it is working in OSX (10.4.8) with QE/CI for $239 with $40 mail in rebate from zipzoomfly.. What I like most about this card is it is OC'd pretty well and you can beef it up way more if you want..

Core Clock 500MHz (vs. 450MHz standard)

Memory Clock 1530MHz (vs. 1320MHz standard)

Remember that it also has VIVO,HDCP and 24 pipelines. This is good for you people that want a very quick card for both systems and the reviews seem to be very high with this one..

From my experince, the GS and the GT are both very good cards and both of them are worth the price you get a little more with the GT, but is it worth the $50 and mail in rebate??

I buying new computer in next few days, and I have trouble deciding which graphic card should I take. It will be P5W DH Deluxe / E6600 based system, and initially I planned to buy ATI X1650Pro. After reading lot of topics on this board I'm not really sure anymore. Is nVidia better way to go for hackintosh? I don't need card for gaming, so I don't won't too buy something like 7900 or X1900...I wouldn't go over 7300 or 7600GS/GT.

I would prefer to have ATI card, but if nVidia cards work well in hackintosh systems, I might consider one of those cards.

I buying new computer in next few days, and I have trouble deciding which graphic card should I take. It will be P5W DH Deluxe / E6600 based system, and initially I planned to buy ATI X1650Pro. After reading lot of topics on this board I'm not really sure anymore. Is nVidia better way to go for hackintosh? I don't need card for gaming, so I don't won't too buy something like 7900 or X1900...I wouldn't go over 7300 or 7600GS/GT.

I would prefer to have ATI card, but if nVidia cards work well in hackintosh systems, I might consider one of those cards.

Some of the more complex operations in Finder (ie the zooming/scaling of photos in a slideshow when you're doing a "view all" layout are much, much smoother on the 7900GS. For the price difference ($30?), I'd go with the 7900GS.

I just purchased the card and got things working. Thanks for the suggestion....

I don't have LCD screens so I am using regular monitors.

I've noticed that I had to update the EDID for my second monitor to get things working. Also, when the system first comes up each time, it seems to spend some time figuring out what refresh rate or resolution the screens are.

Is anyone else seeing this problem?

Wallstreet, which version of Titan did you use to get this working?

I just purchased the card and got things working. Thanks for the suggestion....

I don't have LCD screens so I am using regular monitors.

I've noticed that I had to update the EDID for my second monitor to get things working. Also, when the system first comes up each time, it seems to spend some time figuring out what refresh rate or resolution the screens are.

Is anyone else seeing this problem?

Wallstreet, which version of Titan did you use to get this working?

I've only used it with LCDs. Did you get the second monitor working? How'd you go about doing that? I'm still running single-headed. :) I'm using Natit/Neopheus's installer. The screen will take about 20 seconds to come up initially....that's how Titan/Nitat work. :)

Okay, I thought you had dual head working. I tried the Neopheus installer but that caused more problems so I reinstalled the os and manually placed Natit in my extensions folder.

The first time it came up, the second monitor wasn't full size and when I would move the mouse to the second monitor it would disappear.

So, I got the EDID for both monitors and updated the info file with the values. I removed all the properties which get created when you do a display and rebooted.

After the reboot, the second monitor was fully covered, just the resolution was lower so I changed it so they both match.

Since then, they have been working without any issues except for when I start osx, it takes about 20 seconds before it figures out what monitors I have and then it resets to my config.

Okay, I thought you had dual head working. I tried the Neopheus installer but that caused more problems so I reinstalled the os and manually placed Natit in my extensions folder.

The first time it came up, the second monitor wasn't full size and when I would move the mouse to the second monitor it would disappear.

So, I got the EDID for both monitors and updated the info file with the values. I removed all the properties which get created when you do a display and rebooted.

After the reboot, the second monitor was fully covered, just the resolution was lower so I changed it so they both match.

Since then, they have been working without any issues except for when I start osx, it takes about 20 seconds before it figures out what monitors I have and then it resets to my config.

Can you give me a step by step? Where do you get the EDID value? What info file do you put it into (the plist?) under what key? Which properties did you remove, and more importantly, what version of Natit did you use? :)

Thanks.

Can you give me a step by step? Where do you get the EDID value? What info file do you put it into (the plist?) under what key? Which properties did you remove, and more importantly, what version of Natit did you use? :P

Thanks.

See this post:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...167#entry235225

message #167 for the details on what I did.

Some of the more complex operations in Finder (ie the zooming/scaling of photos in a slideshow when you're doing a "view all" layout are much, much smoother on the 7900GS. For the price difference ($30?), I'd go with the 7900GS.

I don't know the prices elsewhere, but in my country ATI X1650 Pro costs 150$ and 7900GS costs over 300$. That's way over 30$ you're suggesting. 7900GS is out of the question unfortunately. I see that people have succes with nVidia cards lately, so I'm basically interested what's safer bet - ATI or nVidia?

• 2 months later...
I don't know the prices elsewhere, but in my country ATI X1650 Pro costs 150$ and 7900GS costs over 300$. That's way over 30$ you're suggesting. 7900GS is out of the question unfortunately. I see that people have succes with nVidia cards lately, so I'm basically interested what's safer bet - ATI or nVidia?

In what country do you live? Angola?

More seriously, I've got a 7800GT and I'm planning to take 7900GS to replace it. Is it a good choice or not??? Is it worth the money?

Edited by Kingskawn

• 4 weeks later...

i bought a eVGA 7900GS KO for i think about 150$. under XP it's really fast and i can play all the new games in a high resolution and nice effects, but i couldnt get QE/CI in osx :hysterical:

there is always a error, about geforce.kext connecting IONDRVsupport, NVDAresman, and some other kext. dont know what to do. if someone could send me a pm explaining me what to do, or sending me a link, i would be very pleased.