Advice on AMD cards

arsradu

41 posts in this topic

Yes you can use the BIOSes from TechPowerUp to flash your GPU, but why do you need to do that?

The safest way to flash the BIOS is using the ATIFlash under DOS, you can use FreeDOS ISO image and use Rufus to create a bootable USB disk using your virtual machine to create the bootable disk and then boot from the USB disk and then flash the BIOS.

Do it with caution and do so if ONLY you know how to recover from a BAD flash. Otherwise it might brick your GPU.

Before you do make sure that you dump the original BIOS on the GPU just in case you need to refresh it.

You can use WinATIFlash which is risky and may things can go wrong.

once DOS is loaded run:

ATIFlash.exe -I 

which will give you the information on your ATI GPU such as the device number (X in the next command) and the ROM information.

ATIFLASH -f -p X (The identifier of the ATI GPU) YOUREDITEDBIOS.ROM

You can also use Rufus and the Windows ISO image to create a Windows To Go USB disk and easily boot from Windows on the USB disk. It really comes handy from time to time. Then you can use GPUZ from windows or any other app that you need, If you use a USB 3.0 compatible USB disk it's better and can save you a lot of time for creating the disk and booting from it.

I managed to do it. :D Huge thank you for your help!

The card already has a UEFI VBIOS from the first release. Now it has the latest BIOS, too. :D Too bad that didn't make any difference to the actual issue...

• Like 1

That's great :)

Anytime ;)

In real Apple computers, there is a slight change in color of the display right after the first stage (This can't be seen on new models with dark boot), I guess that flashing white color is because of that but since we don't have a correct boot process we see this behavior.

If you have access to an older model with the Grey boot progress you can see that.

That's great :)

Anytime ;)

In real Apple computers, there is a slight change in color of the display right after the first stage (This can't be seen on new models with dark boot), I guess that flashing white color is because of that but since we don't have a correct boot process we see this behavior.

If you have access to an older model with the Grey boot progress you can see that.

I see... Well, technically, I can't see that, cause I don't have access to an older model. :)) But anyway...

Man, I've got another issue with this card, and that's after the OS is loaded. My girlfriend sent me a YouTube video through Messages last night. And when I clicked the link from the message, to watch the video in Safari, my screen got suddenly black. I thought it was a one-time thing. But after reboot, under the same circumstances, it went into a grey/distorted mess. This doesn't occur when watching videos directly on YouTube. And no, it doesn't occur with the GTX 650.

Have you ever encountered this issue? Just curious.

No I didn't have any issues regarding the video playback, you might wanna try shiki and see if that solves the issue.

The black/grey screen was a VBIOS issue. Reverted back to the backup ROM. Everything ok now. Still, screen flashing when initialising second stage boot.

That is normal

You sure...? Cause it definitely doesn't react that bad with the GTX 650. It's no flashing actually. Just a pause between first and second stage boot. Which, while it's not really intended, nobody found a solution for it...so yeah, you could say it's normal.

Have you seen the video I made about this? Do you know anyone else with the exact same issue?

Also, I've got a weird one... Right when I'm booting up the computer, the monitor says "use recommended 2560x1440 resolution" or something similar.  This doesn't occur with the GTX 650. And so far, I got no idea why does this happen. I'll take a picture.

This occurs with any OS, it's displayed before anything. It could be the cable (DVI) but then again, the same cable is used with the GTX 650 and I don't have this issue.

post-1303722-0-83572400-1511107212_thumb.jpg

You sure...? Cause it definitely doesn't react that bad with the GTX 650. It's no flashing actually. Just a pause between first and second stage boot. Which, while it's not really intended, nobody found a solution for it...so yeah, you could say it's normal.

Have you seen the video I made about this? Do you know anyone else with the exact same issue?

Also, I've got a weird one... Right when I'm booting up the computer, the monitor says "use recommended 2560x1440 resolution" or something similar.  This doesn't occur with the GTX 650. And so far, I got no idea why does this happen. I'll take a picture.

This occurs with any OS, it's displayed before anything. It could be the cable (DVI) but then again, the same cable is used with the GTX 650 and I don't have this issue.

attachicon.gifIMG_0034.jpg

Yes I am sure, I have used a AMD Radeon 7950, R9 290X, RX 480, it is something that related to AMD cards, its normal

• Like 1

Yes I am sure, I have used a AMD Radeon 7950, R9 290X, RX 480, it is something that related to AMD cards, its normal

Got it. Thank you! :) Well, if the RX series is the same...I'll stick with Nvidia for a little while longer.

Nonetheless, I learned a LOT these days about ATI cards, and for that I am very grateful to you guys for all the help! Couldn't have done it without you.

Thank you very much!

• Like 1

Got it. Thank you! :) Well, if the RX series is the same...I'll stick with Nvidia for a little while longer.

Nonetheless, I learned a LOT these days about ATI cards, and for that I am very grateful to you guys for all the help! Couldn't have done it without you.

Thank you very much!

Well even on real Macs there is a slight pause between first and second boot phases, its where firmware is handing over the GPU to the OS, this doesn't happen on Nvidia GPUs because the way the driver initializes the GPU when the OS takes over. It doesn't re-initialize the GPU, it just takes the current initialization state and uses it. With AMD cards Apple drivers don't act this way. They expect the GPU to de-initialize before the OS takes over and re-initializes it with the driver.

• Like 1

Well even on real Macs there is a slight pause between first and second boot phases, its where firmware is handing over the GPU to the OS, this doesn't happen on Nvidia GPUs because the way the driver initializes the GPU when the OS takes over. It doesn't re-initialize the GPU, it just takes the current initialization state and uses it. With AMD cards Apple drivers don't act this way. They expect the GPU to de-initialize before the OS takes over and re-initializes it with the driver.

Well, it's not the pause that's bugging me. It's the actual screen flashing white for a split second (it looks like something is crashing really badly in the background, like an actual camera flash). I understand it needs to re-initialize, but why does it flash the screen white? Can't it just do it .."quietly"? :)) Like, going from that pause (which should be on a black screen), to the second stage boot (with no flashing white in between) and then the desktop? That's what I don't understand. It's like taking a selfie, with flash, every time you start up your computer.

Right now, it goes like this:

First stage:

1. Clover GUI -> All fine

2. password input (since I'm using FV) -> All fine

Second stage:

3. screen flashes white for a split second and then immediately goes to black.

4. loading bar (unfortunately without an Apple logo, but that's another story), on a black background -> All fine

5. desktop -> All fine

Also, now I know more about the differences between AMD and Nvidia cards. Thank you very much for that.

I re-uploaded the video here in case you missed it. Check out second 00:05-00:06. I'd love to know your opinion on it.

Well, it's not the pause that's bugging me. It's the actual screen flashing white for a split second (it looks like something is crashing really badly in the background, like an actual camera flash). I understand it needs to re-initialize, but why does it flash the screen white? Can't it just do it .."quietly"? :)) Like, going from that pause (which should be on a black screen), to the second stage boot (with no flashing white in between) and then the desktop? That's what I don't understand.

Right now, it goes like this:

First stage:

1. Clover GUI -> All fine

2. password input (since I'm using FV) -> All fine

Second stage:

3. screen flashes white for a split second and then immediately goes to black.

4. loading bar (unfortunately without an Apple logo, but that's another story), on a black background -> All fine

5. desktop -> All fine

Also, now I know more about the differences between AMD and Nvidia cards. Thank you very much for that.

I re-uploaded the video here in case you missed it. Check out second 00:05-00:06. I'd love to know your opinion on it.

The white flash is happening because your GPU has no AppleEFI on it for the first stage to hand off to the second stage, with AMD GPUs its basically a reset on the GPU initalization process when the second stage takes over. If I remember correctly there was a fix for the second stage Apple logo while back. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298808-can-we-get-back-the-apple-logo-on-boot/?p=2041174 

• Like 1

That flash thingy is happening because the first stage is just when macOS is loading in (I think) the VESA mode like when we install macOS and the Recovery Mode, and then when the macOS initialize the AMD GPU and loads the framebuffer and the AMDXXXXController.kext regarding the GPU's device ID it switches form the VESA mode to a fully accelerated state. (@Pavo correct me if I'm wrong)

Even if you boot in verbose mode you can see the slight jump in the texts while it starts to initializes the GPU.

• Like 1

The white flash is happening because your GPU has no AppleEFI on it for the first stage to hand off to the second stage, with AMD GPUs its basically a reset on the GPU initalization process when the second stage takes over. If I remember correctly there was a fix for the second stage Apple logo while back. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298808-can-we-get-back-the-apple-logo-on-boot/?p=2041174 

That flash thingy is happening because the first stage is just when macOS is loading in (I think) the VESA mode like when we install macOS and the Recovery Mode, and then when the macOS initialize the AMD GPU and loads the framebuffer and the AMDXXXXController.kext regarding the GPU's device ID it switches form the VESA mode to a fully accelerated state. (@Pavo correct me if I'm wrong)

Even if you boot in verbose mode you can see the slight jump in the texts while it starts to initializes the GPU.

Thank you guys both!

Pavo, this issue (the missing logo, as you saw in the video) only occurs when FV2 is in use. I don't know why. I haven't managed to find a fix for it yet. If you know one, please, let me know, cause this issue occurs with Nvidia, as well. Doesn't occur in normal mode (non-encrypted).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
On 11/18/2017 at 10:35 AM, arsradu said:

It looks pretty bad though... I made a video here (00:05-00:06). It's like a camera flash, for a split second.

Also, I've got no sound after sleep. Which...used to be fixed with RehabMan's CodecCommander.kext. Which is already present in S/L/E where it belongs. Still, this issues seems to be a different problem.

I have the same issue with a brand new RX 570.