Cannot Get Brightness to Work with AppleBacklightInjector

mnfesq

41 posts in this topic

• 4 weeks later...

I was finally able to update macOS 10.13.3 using the App Store.  I have not been able to update from the App Store since one of the later beta versions of 10.13.  What happened was that my system would not restart properly and the install macOS partition would not appear upon manually restarting.  When I booted back to my then current version of macOS, the update would be deleted and I would have to start all over.

The problem was the GenericBrightness.kext I was using.  Once Chris1111 made a recent compilation of the source code for the kext, I used that.  For some reason, however, it was causing my problems.  When I reverted back to the GenericBrightness.kext I referenced here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/328556-cannot-get-brightness-to-work-with-applebacklightinjector/?p=2519710

I had no more problems.

I was finally able to update macOS 10.13.3 using the App Store.  I have not been able to update from the App Store since one of the later beta versions of 10.13.  What happened was that my system would not restart properly and the install macOS partition would not appear upon manually restarting.  When I booted back to my then current version of macOS, the update would be deleted and I would have to start all over.

The problem was the GenericBrightness.kext I was using.  Once Chris1111 made a recent compilation of the source code for the kext, I used that.  For some reason, however, it was causing my problems.  When I reverted back to the GenericBrightness.kext I referenced here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/328556-cannot-get-brightness-to-work-with-applebacklightinjector/?p=2519710

I had no more problems.

Really?  I never have issue here on my Probook 6570B with or without the kext for updated High Sierra Beta.

the only reason why I not using it is the rehabman patch IGPU HD 3000 /4000 working good without that kext  

• Like 1

Really?  I never have issue here on my Probook 6570B with or without the kext for updated High Sierra Beta.

the only reason why I not using it is the rehabman patch IGPU HD 3000 /4000 working good without that kext  

Consider yourself lucky that screen brightness works natively for your laptop once you create a PNLF device.  That is not the case for my laptop even though our specs are really quite similar.

Consider yourself lucky that screen brightness works natively for your laptop once you create a PNLF device.  That is not the case for my laptop even though our specs are really quite similar.

Laptop is different, I have only one Graphics Intel HD 4000 I think you have Two Graphics?

Ok try to send me a dump, boot without DSDT and SSDT and push F4 and F5 at clover screen (Used USB Drive or Test Drive for this.)

Send me this file ORIGIN

I going to try some thing for you, if you have a patch DSDT for disable Graphics Radeon or Geforce send me the Disable Graphics-patch.TXT  also

captu168.png

Not sure how long I've had the issue but it can't have been long, I don't have any brightness slider on my laptop anymore nor any brightness controls of course. I think it's related to the 10.13.2 beta 2 as I've not changed anything except the update. Anyone else having issues? I'm hoping the .3 update resolves it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I was able to solve my problem by using a version of the GenericBrightness.kext that I found here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/291610-new-genericbrightnesskext-with-hdmi-kp-solved/

I couldn't get High Sierra to boot up when this kext was installed in Clover/kexts/10.13.  It worked, however, when it was installed in L/E.

Now, High Sierra is fully functional for me.  :thumbsup_anim:

Hi mnfesq,

may I disturb you again:

Do I need to patch also my DSDT.aml or my SSDT-PNFL and if this is the case: Can you provide me a link

for an explansion of how to patch or to create such a SSDT-PNFL?

I'm very very new in the business of hackintosh and DSDT-patching :blush:

Currently I'm struggling to install this kext to increase my brightness on my Acer V5-573PG with Intel HD4400.

Best regards and thanks for your answers. :)

Hi mnfesq,

may I disturb you again:

Do I need to patch also my DSDT.aml or my SSDT-PNFL and if this is the case: Can you provide me a link

for an explansion of how to patch or to create such a SSDT-PNFL?

I'm very very new in the business of hackintosh and DSDT-patching :blush:

Currently I'm struggling to install this kext to increase my brightness on my Acer V5-573PG with Intel HD4400.

Best regards and thanks for your answers. :)

All you need to do to get the brightness slider to appear in your display preferences is to add a PNLF device.  You can do this either by adding it to your DSDT or SSDT (creating an SSDT-PNLF).  If you are just experimenting, you might try adding it to Clover DSDT patches and it will add the PNLF device to your DSDT on the fly.  Once you add the brightness slider, you still need brightness to work.  I don't know what your laptop's specs are so I can't say what will work for you.  For me, I need the GenericBrightness.kext, which is the subject of this thread.  Others have been able to avoid using that kext by simply adding RehabMan's PNLF patch.  I think that patch will only work for HD3000/4000.  I'm not sure it will work for HD4400.  Remember to install this kext to L/E, not Clover/kexts/10.13.

• Like 1

Hi

Thanks very much for your answer.

Currently I have no patch of my DSDT.aml, since I could install HS with the original HW.

So I tried to simply copy the SSDT-PNLF to the ACPI/patched folder and also install the kext into the L/E. unfortunately without success.

Maybe I have to try to read the complete guide from ReHabMan. But that will be a hard work, but I will try my best.

But thanks anyway for your support.

Best regards

If you use Clover configurator, there is a box to check to add PNLF device to your DSDT.  Try that and see if you get the slider bar in your Display Preferences.  If so, move on to the next step.

• Like 1

Hi @mnfesq,

thanks for your answer. I have found the checkbox named "AddPNLF".

But unfortunately nothing happened, although I have also applied the

kextstopatch in my config.plist and also copied the SSDT-PNFL.aml to

my "origin"-folder also to my patched folder.

Do I need to patch my DSDT also? 

Thanks for your answers.

• 6 months later...