Dual Monitors not Working in High Sierra

Gogeta5026

19 posts in this topic

I have:
Intel Core i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz
Gigabyte GA-Z270MX/Gaming 5
Samsung CF791 Series 34-Inch Curved Widescreen Monitor (C34F791)  3440x1440 4K
Samsung U28E590D 28-Inch UHD LED-Lit Monitor with Freesync support  3840x2160 4K
XFX AMD Radeon™ RX 580 8GB 256 Bit GDDR5 Graphics Card

Both monitors are hooked up through Display Port
Sierra works fine and I get full 4K off both monitors and everything works. However....
With High Sierra
I can only boot into High Sierra with 1 of the monitors turned on. Whenever I turn on the 2 monitor everything freezes within High Sierra and screen goes gray. I can still see the desktop but can't click on anything. 

Anybody know what I can do to get both monitors working fully in 4K? 

Some Success
-------------
After 2 days of constant testing with no luck. I think the problem has something to do with the AMD .kexts in S/L/E. When I copied the AMD .kexts from Sierra to High Sierra I got weird colors (red & blues flipped) and the 2nd monitor will go on and not lock up the computer

Even though the method of copying kexts somewhat worked... It made the graphics choppy and everything was running slow (open windows and programs).

Is there a FakeID (FB Name, NVCAP,  VRAM, Video Ports, Display-cfg, ig-platform-id, BootDisplay) of some sort I can use in Clover to fix this? Kext?

My clover config is attached if that helps anybody!
Also...
The 2 pictures attached are what happens. Boots with 1 monitor on. As soon as the 2nd monitor is turned on or plugged in... The working monitor goes black and everything stops responding.

config.plist.zip

post-1411155-0-81821900-1505769935_thumb.jpg

post-1411155-0-12778700-1505769947_thumb.jpg

@Gogeta5026.

I use the Lilu and the WhateverGreen

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/321371-lilu-—-kext-and-process-patcher/

https://github.com/vit9696/WhateverGreen/releases

and I don't have such problems. But I have installed RX-560 and my monitors are not so powerful.

Maybe worth a try?

attachicon.gifWE.jpg

Are you using any commands when you boot? Like -lilubeta or something along those lines. Did you place the Lilu and the WhateverGreen kexts in S/L/E or in your Clover EFI?

Are you using any commands when you boot? Like -lilubeta or something along those lines. Did you place the Lilu and the WhateverGreen kexts in S/L/E or in your Clover EFI?

I don't use /S/L/E for Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext.They are /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other.

post-617057-0-18817100-1505740778_thumb.jpg

For Lilu1.1.7 and above

<key>Arguments</key>
<string> darkwake=0 -lilubetaall -rad24</string>

In addition ... if you use .../Other  

<key>SystemParameters</key>
<dict>
<key>InjectKexts</key>
<string>Yes</string>
  • Like 1

I don't use /S/L/E for Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext.They are /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other.

attachicon.gifOther.jpg

For Lilu1.1.7 and above

<key>Arguments</key>

<dict>
<key>InjectKexts</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Right now...  I'm 98.9% sure that both kexts are in /S/L/E and /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other.

I'll try your way when I get home from work in about 6-7 hours. THANK YOU!

attachicon.gifOther.jpg

For Lilu1.1.7 and above

<key>Arguments</key>

<dict>
<key>InjectKexts</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Just gave it a shot. NO LUCK. :(

The 2 pictures attached are what happens. Boots with 1 monitor on. As soon as the 2nd monitor is turned on or plugged in... The working monitor goes black and everything stops responding.

post-1411155-0-35966900-1505769850_thumb.jpg

post-1411155-0-25986800-1505769868_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Just gave it a shot. NO LUCK. :(

Hey, i have same problem with HD7950 one screen 1920x1080 works (HDMI) 2 screen same as you saying (out of range) (DVI-I). :( 

• 1 month later...

This you ever figured out this issue?! I was having the same issue but somehow fixed it.

I can send my efi later on if anyone need it’s

It was actually a kext in clover that was cause it this issue for me

I know weird

I had this same issue with my RX 480, after upgrade to Sierra only one monitor worked. Was using 2 x Display Port connections.

Tried using Lilu/Whatevergreen with no result. Previously I was using patched BIOS to work without helper GPU which also did not work. Disabling CSM made no difference.

Only solution was to change to HDMI cable for second monitor and even then only 1 of the 2 HDMI ports will work.

It wasn’t there but all I had to do is change my smbios to 6,1 lol it was random but it enabled my second monitor

Were you previously on iMac SMBIOS? Could be to do with the built in display causing this issue

EDIT: Confirmed this works for me, can now use 2 x Display port again, and all other ports work normally. I was previously using iMac 17,1

I had this same issue with my RX 480, after upgrade to Sierra only one monitor worked. Was using 2 x Display Port connections.

Tried using Lilu/Whatevergreen with no result. Previously I was using patched BIOS to work without helper GPU which also did not work. Disabling CSM made no difference.

Only solution was to change to HDMI cable for second monitor and even then only 1 of the 2 HDMI ports will work.

Were you previously on iMac SMBIOS? Could be to do with the built in display causing this issue

EDIT: Confirmed this works for me, can now use 2 x Display port again, and all other ports work normally. I was previously using iMac 17,1

nice!!! yeah me too i was on 17,1 i just read somewhere to change to 6,1 

nice!!! yeah me too i was on 17,1 i just read somewhere to change to 6,1 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having this same issue. Tempted to try changing the system definition in SMBIOS (I'm using 18,1), but won't that freak out iCloud/AppleID/iMessage etc? I've got mine all working so nicely... But then I would like my second monitor to work........ Hmmm

I'm having this same issue. Tempted to try changing the system definition in SMBIOS (I'm using 18,1), but won't that freak out iCloud/AppleID/iMessage etc? I've got mine all working so nicely... But then I would like my second monitor to work........ Hmmm

Yeah that’s tricky I have ryzen so iMessages don’t work for me

• 9 months later...