Can I add custom Kexts to my install dvd

user2

24 posts in this topic

With MagicISO you can open the DVD, but i haven't tried anything with it. Maybe you can add and save files to it, not sure ;)

I still have TransMac from back in the old days when we had to patch our own install discs. so writing files to the iso is no problem I just don't know where to put the kexts. If JaS or someone else whose knows how to make installation packages would chime in that would also be another way to do it.

I always have to add support for my Yukon ethernet after every install and it would be nice if it was already there. I would also very much like to add the Titan kext to my install DVD. Any chance?

Not impossible, but you really need to know what you are doing.

- Download Iceberg package maker

- Make installer package(s) with files you want to install

- Mount the iso file as read/write. In Terminal, type:

hdiutil mount -readwrite /path-to-iso/iso-name.iso

- Add packages to iso in /System/Installation/Packages

- Modify installer file:

Drag this file to text editor: /System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg/Contents/OSInstall.dist

Add packages to list about 1/3 way down and other entries farther down on page.

• 1 month later...

Well it took me a while to get around to trying it but I did manage to add the Natit installer to my DVD. Works great, I get the spinning cube effect during the initial set up. I am going to try and be a bit more adventurous and add some custom kexts soon. Thanks for the input Ramjet

Would this also mean one could remove packages like the languages and printer drivers, for a smaller ISO?

That's and interesting idea I'll look into it later. Although, Ramjet probably knows the answer he seems to know most everything

That's and interesting idea I'll look into it later. Although, Ramjet probably knows the answer he seems to know most everything

I've gotten to the step where I need to edit the file on the /System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg/Contents/OSInstall.dist and I get it opened up in Nano. Peachy. I see where to add the line choices. But I am unsure of how to give it the path to the packages that I created. Do I need to do that since they should be in the packages folder anyway?

Thanks,

joneSi

Well it took me a while to get around to trying it but I did manage to add the Natit installer to my DVD. Works great, I get the spinning cube effect during the initial set up. I am going to try and be a bit more adventurous and add some custom kexts soon. Thanks for the input Ramjet

Can you describe in detail how you did pack the Natit into the Install DVD? :)

Custom-made installation DVD sounds very interesting!

Thanks...:)

Can you describe in detail how you did pack the Natit into the Install DVD? :)

Custom-made installation DVD sounds very interesting!

Thanks...:)

I followed Ramjets instructions but then I cheated. I picked one of the insatllers I never use "USB support" and changed every reference to the Natit installer. What I wold love to see is a generic installer that would allow a user to drop thier specific kexts into their install. Wishfull thinking I suspect!

I followed Ramjets instructions but then I cheated. I picked one of the insatllers I never use "USB support" and changed every reference to the Natit installer. What I wold love to see is a generic installer that would allow a user to drop thier specific kexts into their install. Wishfull thinking I suspect!

What are you using to edit? I need more screen real-estate for all this stuff...

SPJ

So what changes exactly do we need to make to OSInstall.dist? It's confusing.

Pick one of the Jas installers on the DVD and search for the title in OSInstall.dist they all follow a basic structure. It's pretty easy to figure out how to write the new entries. Alternately, you can pick an installer you never use and just change the references to the package of your choice. Also change the description so that it shows up correctly during the install

Pick one of the Jas installers on the DVD and search for the title in OSInstall.dist they all follow a basic structure. It's pretty easy to figure out how to write the new entries. Alternately, you can pick an installer you never use and just change the references to the package of your choice. Also change the description so that it shows up correctly during the install

Here's a link that goes into detail on adding (selectable) packages to the install dvd.

http://www.macosxhints.com/comment.php?mod...C&pid=68383

I made a similar thread to this in the past few days, except this also included modifying the Extensions.mkext as well

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=34688

I always have to add support for my Yukon ethernet after every install and it would be nice if it was already there. I would also very much like to add the Titan kext to my install DVD. Any chance?

That's a great idea. Each time I need to install OSX I need to insert and replace it with the 10.4.3 AppleHDA.kext to make my audio work. Would be great if I didn't need to add/replace it each time.

But after it's replaced, I still need to open terminal and do "sudo chown" and "sudo chmod" parts and also then "repair permissions". I wonder if there is a way of customising the OSX patched DVD to able to get that done too all in one go.

Would this also mean one could remove packages like the languages and printer drivers, for a smaller ISO?
Cool idea but this would be a secondary priority. Deselecting a few tick boxes is not anyway near as a pain as modifying kexts to get components working.

I meant for my own personal use, AcePlayer, in terms of removing useless languages. :)

When you said languages I assumed you were referring to languages translations (japanese, chinese, german, french, etc) that it installs and takes 2GBs or so.

If you were (and I'm on the right track) then there are loads of other options that can be taken off such as printer drivers which take another 1-2GBs too.

Keeping on the same track it would be great if we could get rid of the options that Jas and the rest add that we don't need to use in each of our systems (like ss2 patch).

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
Not impossible, but you really need to know what you are doing.

- Download Iceberg package maker

- Make installer package(s) with files you want to install

- Mount the iso file as read/write. In Terminal, type:

hdiutil mount -readwrite /path-to-iso/iso-name.iso

- Add packages to iso in /System/Installation/Packages

- Modify installer file:

Drag this file to text editor: /System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg/Contents/OSInstall.dist

Add packages to list about 1/3 way down and other entries farther down on page.

Okay i feel like such a freaking noob but How in the heck do you open OSInstall.mpkg I see it in the terminal but in finder I can't even get in the disk image.