10.4.8 JaS Install Reports - ONLY -

plympton

115 posts in this topic

If you are using any version of apple's disk utility: use PC Partition Scheme:

In Disk Utility: click on the disk, click on the options button in the window to the right, select PC Partition Scheme, newer versions of the Intel Disk Utility default to Apple Partition scheme, you're BIOS will not see or be able to bless it or set it to active.

You can also do this with the "disk util" and "fdisk" commands.

GT

I'm having the problem as Tommy, exactly the same problem. However, i dont have a 10.4.3 installer hence the 10.4.3 disk utility. How do I use disk util or fdisk to rectify my problems? I'm really a n00b. :)

actually tried that but getting permission denied - managed to do this by leaving the dvd in my drive at booting into the working 10.4.6 (which was working purrfectly before i attempted to install 10.4.8 jas)

Say that i manage to bless my windows partition, would i be able to load osx, assuming that i have configured my boot.ini with the required chain0 file? or does it only make it possible to go into winblows but still have that blinking cursor problem if i chose to boot into my 10.4.8 mac in the ntloader? hope i explained it clearly.

Waiting for a guru to sort out my misery :blink:

C2D E6600 @ 3.2GHz

Intel 975XBX v304

Saphire X1900XT Flashed to XTX

Onboard sound working with replaced kext

10.4.8 installed and running like a champ using mifki's kernel. Xbench jumpped from about 165 to 243.

Had to partition with the 10.4.7 DVD then install 10.4.8, other than that no problems whatsoever. OSX frickin flies now.

C2D E6600 @ 3.2GHz

Intel 975XBX v304

Saphire X1900XT Flashed to XTX

Onboard sound working with replaced kext

10.4.8 installed and running like a champ using mifki's kernel. Xbench jumpped from about 165 to 243.

Had to partition with the 10.4.7 DVD then install 10.4.8, other than that no problems whatsoever. OSX frickin flies now.

Looks like you didn't use fsb= kernel flag...

I smell something fishy ^o), (haven't tried to burn yet) I don't think its corrupted though...

I honestly don't think it is, I gotten it to upgrade from the first ( corrupted ) dvd release by jas, But I was able to boot from the dvd, anuff said.

I think it's a Intel problem.

brb, smallville is on tv. LOL

Guest bikedude880

Both cores are actually running as you can see in the Activity Monitor. The rest was just to show it was 10.4.8. Now my signature would be showing off :police:

For anyone who is still using the much maligned 'first release' of JaS' 10.4.8 DVD and is experiencing no network connectively...try replacing the IONetworkingFamily.kext from the official 10.4.8 combo update. Things are looking good over here now (well, I can't get 'About this Mac' to work, but that was the last of my worries). Omni's Titan.kext is fantastic...my BFG 7900GT OC is fully functional with DVI output using either of the two outputs. JaS must have put some serious time into this...I could not get any upgrade attempt from a previous version to work (you name it, I tried it--including compiling my own kernels), yet his DVD installed like a champ (well, the first attempt did wipe out a partition, but who's keeping track).

Guest bikedude880
Hi bikedude880

One things about your Desktop

The Dock is very Tiny

Regards

I have the display at 1280x1024, the native resolution of my monitor. I scaled the dock down and turned off those bloody dock effects. I can't stand those :) dock effects :)

I tried 10.4.8 with this hardware

Asrock 945GDVI Conroe

Allendale 6400

mem Geil

GMA950

REaltek RTL8169S PCI card and another old PCI RTL8139

the most big problem is than the system don't load 915.kext and don't detect any PCI card.

When I look at the AppleFWOHCI extension, that I presume should deal with my FW card, I get ->

Version: 2.8.3

Last Modified: 4/01/06 3:39 PM

Get Info String: AppleFWOHCI version 2.8.3, Copyright 2006 Apple Computer, Inc.

Location: /System/Library/Extensions/IOFireWireFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleFWOHCI.kext

kext Version: 2.8.3

Load Address: 0x1fa8e000

Valid: Yes

Authentic: Yes

Dependencies: Incomplete

Dependency Errors:

com.apple.iokit.IOFireWireFamily: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.kpi.iokit: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.kpi.libkern: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.kpi.mach: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.kpi.unsupported: No valid version of this dependency can be found

Integrity: Kext is modified

Ouch, that can't be good, can it!!!?

IOPCIFamily doesn't look good either...

Version: 2.1

Last Modified: 1/11/06 9:39 AM

Get Info String: 2.1, Copyright Apple Computer, Inc. 2000-2004

kext Version: 2.1

Load Address: 0x1b405000

Valid: Yes

Authentic: Yes

Dependencies: Incomplete

Dependency Errors:

com.apple.kernel.iokit: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.kernel.libkern: No valid version of this dependency can be found

Integrity: Kext is modified

It would be very awkward for me to re-install, BUT this just doesn't seem like good omens...

:dev:

Did you already try replacing those with ones 4.7 :dev:

Well... I "thought" about it, it's just that there is SO many -I think I would just end up with 10.4.7 lol, and would they even work with the new kernel? Maybe I should just wait till I get a new data cap and try the re-release. Hopefully I can install that over the top, cause my HDs are full to bursting so there is nowhere for me to move my data for a clean install.

I would be very gratefull if anyone knows a non-lethal way of patching this mess... :angel:

BTW these weren't the only "No valid version of this dependency can be found" errors. Virtually every extension has some. Amazingly, except for not detecting PCI cards, the whole system is running very smoothly.

BTW these weren't the only "No valid version of this dependency can be found" errors. Virtually every extension has some. Amazingly, except for not detecting PCI cards, the whole system is running very smoothly.

I didn't use DVD release and I don't have any of those problems.

Maybe just redo with re-release :angel: