Go get Vista 5840

rollcage

14 posts in this topic

Build 5840 leaked a few day ago, and I finally finished downloading and installing today. First off, I'd like to make a point that I installed it on a core duo mini with 512 mb of ram. on first boot i was pleasantly surprised to find that all the drivers installed automatically (meaning graphics, sound, internet, etc). after a couple minutes, i also found that i could use aero! simply amazing! and the performance isn't bad either, i would compare it with xp. if you have a system with more ram and a dedicated graphics card i can't imagine how nicely it would run.

right now you can only find 5840 off of torrents and such, and you have to hack the .iso to install without a rtm key, and you can't activate. luckily, several people at http://thehotfix.net have put together a way to install with rc keys and to reset the activation timer (meaning you can use it after 30 days normally). they also have the download links, so if you want it go check them out.

Hmmm, is 5840 worth the trouble?

i mean vista is so close to a full release, better wait for the official version to be "leaked"

I saw some talking about 5920, true???

the 5920 rumor isn't true, somone just renamed the 5840 file people were downloading.

and apparently rtm is going internal at MS possibly as soon as tomorrow, http://thehotfix.net should have it without couple hours of release if they do. makes me feel crappy that i wasted all this time getting 5480 today if i can have rtm tomorrow, but oh well. :)

i haven't had any issues with stuff crashing, but flash is still ify, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. it's like someone flips a coin when i visit a site. i can go to it and have it not work, hit reload and then it work fine (and vice versa).