Antipop not working with macOS Sierra?

D-an-W

15 posts in this topic

Hi folks, does anyone have the talent to see why Antipop doesn't seem to work in macOS Sierra Public Beta?

I have used this for several previous OS X versions right up to El Capitan without issue but although it installs ok it has no effect on fixing the "pop" from the speakers if audio isn't used for a while.

I have checked the log files and don't see anything like the entries present in El Capitan.

AntiPop v1.0.2.dmg

Of course yes, why?

Well, I'm sorry if I sound rude but you're basically expecting something from an OS version that is in its testing period. Wait a bit, and then see if the issue gets fixed. 

But surely then, everyone posting in this section should wait too?

Anyway...I thought I would ask as I don't think it's an issue that would get fixed beta or not, more likely a permissions or security thing, could be totally wrong though!

The program seems simple enough but I ran out of talent trying to see why it doesn't work (Which didn't take long!).

But surely then, everyone posting in this section should wait too?

Everyone who demands something to work from previous versions of an OS on a new version of that particular OS, should indeed wait. Yes, surely they should. There are many developers and coders in this forum, they'd know how long time it takes for an application or a certain project to migrate to another OS version, the project itself simply needs an upgrade. Of course it depends from project to project. But things need time, a reason it is "Beta". 

It can't be that difficult to understand this...or can it? 

• Like 1

Try AppleALC, i'm using it and i don't have the "pop" issue, El Capitan and Sierra PB they are fine. 

And D-an-W, i suggest you to calm down and relax, Dwarfy is right, you have to wait and be patient...

First try to contact the developer, he may already be working on a fix. I also found another antipop project in GitHub, try at your own risk.

I think D-an-W was right, he didn't demand for a solution but just politely asked for help. On the other hand Dwarfy was unhelpful in all of his/her replies.

• Like 3

So far, AppleALC (Compiled with my previously modified PlatformsT.xml.zlib) looks to have worked well.

I did have a panic in macOS Sierra when first using the -alcbeta boot argument but as it's still in Beta...

• 2 months later...

Hi there, apologies for the necro but I came across this thread in a google search when trying to fix it, as antipop is still broken in the release of macOS Sierra.

Anyway, this small fix works the same as antipop (i.e. issues a 'say' command every 10 seconds). It's been working perfectly for me and survives reboots.

Create this file (you will need to use sudo/root):
/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.mattsday.antipop.plist

Inside this file enter this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
  <dict>
    <key>Label</key>
    <string>com.mattsday.antipop</string>
    <key>KeepAlive</key>
    <false/>
    <key>RunAtLoad</key>
    <true/>
    <key>ProgramArguments</key>
    <array>
      <string>/bin/bash</string>
      <string>-c</string>
      <string>while true; do say ' '; sleep 10; done</string>
    </array>
  </dict>
</plist>

Save it and enter this in a terminal window:
sudo launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.mattsday.antipop.plist

You can safely uninstall antipop after you've done this as it won't be needed.

Hope it helps!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, apologies for the necro but I came across this thread in a google search when trying to fix it, as antipop is still broken in the release of macOS Sierra.

Anyway, this small fix works the same as antipop (i.e. issues a 'say' command every 10 seconds). It's been working perfectly for me and survives reboots.

Create this file (you will need to use sudo/root):

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.mattsday.antipop.plist

Inside this file enter this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
  <dict>
    <key>Label</key>
    <string>com.mattsday.antipop</string>
    <key>KeepAlive</key>
    <false/>
    <key>RunAtLoad</key>
    <true/>
    <key>ProgramArguments</key>
    <array>
      <string>/bin/bash</string>
      <string>-c</string>
      <string>while true; do say ' '; sleep 10; done</string>
    </array>
  </dict>
</plist>

Save it and enter this in a terminal window:

sudo launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.mattsday.antipop.plist

You can safely uninstall antipop after you've done this as it won't be needed.

Hope it helps!

Strange, when I use this method then my audio is broken and I get beachball when selecting sound prefs.

Unloading this plist and reboot fixed audio again but then I have pops.

Any idea? I have antipop not installed. Using ALC898 injected by clover (Toleda script 1.20 command)

Thanks,

BiTRiP

Strange, when I use this method then my audio is broken and I get beachball when selecting sound prefs.

Unloading this plist and reboot fixed audio again but then I have pops.

Any idea? I have antipop not installed. Using ALC898 injected by clover (Toleda script 1.20 command)

Thanks,

BiTRiP

That's very surprising as this workaround really only plays silent audio every 10 seconds. I'm also using toleda clover injection on an ALC898.

Anecdotal experience shows lots of others have had success with this workaround (it is functionally identical to antipop). Perhaps it's a coincidence?

Does it also crash your driver to do simply do this in a shell:

while true; do say ' '; sleep 10; done

That's all that script is doing... Does it crash if it's being run as root?

That's very surprising as this workaround really only plays silent audio every 10 seconds. I'm also using toleda clover injection on an ALC898.

Anecdotal experience shows lots of others have had success with this workaround (it is functionally identical to antipop). Perhaps it's a coincidence?

Does it also crash your driver to do simply do this in a shell:

while true; do say ' '; sleep 10; done

That's all that script is doing... Does it crash if it's being run as root?

No, it didn't crash when I ran it just in a shell. Rights and owner where also same as rest of LaunchDeamons.

Maybe it has problems that audio is not available yet before it runs the command. I don't know.

Anyway, I finally end up with the AppleALC solution. I never used it before but it's actually easier than the Toleda command solution.

No more patched kexted in clover, no more Realtek.kext in EFI, AppleHDA.kext stays untouched and no more pops!

Just inject audio ID 1 (or id of your audio device) in clover with this kext in /S/L/E and you're done.  :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks anyway Mattday for your help. I would try the AppleALC yourself too!

Cheers.