Shiki — protected video playback support on recent hardware

vit9696
211 posts in this topic

Protected audio/video path. I am afraid there is nothing for ATI.

It's good that there is nothing to do for ATI. I'll try a fresh installation of Sierra with your kext present and i'll disable hardware video decoder and see it helps. Thank you for your help.

As far as i can tell, adding the kext from the very beginning, resolves all the issues. I tested myself 2 times and it works for all the trailers( I tried more than 30 and most were giving me trouble before because i installed the kext after i opened iTunes). 

Thanks I installed the kext after freshly installing 10.12 and had the issue mentioned above ever since. How are your apps functionality after resuming sleep? Ex Google Chrome doesn't properly load after sleep and you have to force close it, no matter if Hardware decoder is disabled per the command on the FAQ or not. I know someone in this thread posted that the hardware decoder command wasn't working properly on 10.12.1 so wonder if it is something introduced in the new OSX update as sleep mode was the only thing I didn't test before updating to 10.12.1. 

The fact trailers and SD videos work in iTunes is amazing and the only main issue I hope can be solved is the sleep issue.

Thanks I installed the kext after freshly installing 10.12 and had the issue mentioned above ever since. How are your apps functionality after resuming sleep? Ex Google Chrome doesn't properly load after sleep and you have to force close it, no matter if Hardware decoder is disabled per the command on the FAQ or not. I know someone in this thread posted that the hardware decoder command wasn't working properly on 10.12.1 so wonder if it is something introduced in the new OSX update as sleep mode was the only thing I didn't test before updating to 10.12.1. 

The fact trailers and SD videos work in iTunes is amazing and the only main issue I hope can be solved is the sleep issue.

I have sleep/wake issue from the beginning. I have ATI GPU and it doesn't work well for me. I don't use that funtion since it's a desktop.

I have sleep/wake issue from the beginning. I have ATI GPU and it doesn't work well for me. I don't use that funtion since it's a desktop.

Thanks yeah at this time it does look like the command to disable hardware decoder doesn't do anything as I now tried iTunes and videos with or without and nothing changed. VDADecoderChecker actually freezes when trying to run after sleep. When I boot up my system VDADecoderChecker does say I have full hardware acceleration and if I run the AppleGVA command to force software decoder as a test, VDADecoderChecker runs but with an error code which in that case seems to be expected since no hardware acceleration is enabled. Hopefully my findings help improve the current development.

Hey I was just viewing some details on another site for Hackintosh's and one user suggested to remove the HD3000GraphicsVAdriver.bundle but since the 4600 uses the 5000 I removed that and kept a copy outside the S/L/E folder and sleep now works and doesn't break iTunes or Google Chrome. Flash videos does say Software Decoder but now all videos work. I didn't even need to add the hardwavevideodecoder disable command.

PS VDADecoderChecker does fail now with that file removed but maybe since we know what file causes the sleep issue, wonder if we can just add a Clover patch to fix it.

Removing HD3000GraphicsVAdriver.bundle simply breaks video acceleration, that's all. You could remove AppleGVA.framework with the same result.

It is not a fix or a place where a fix is to be applied.

Yeah I know video acceleration is disabled at least for now it allows me to perform all functions without major issues. I just wanted to mention it for anyone who absolutely needs to put their computer to sleep who wants to use your kext and PAVP/HDCP Clover patch for iTunes. Obviously if I was doing major video editing or playback then having it disabled would be problematic. I do of course noticed that the CPU utilization is more because of it disabled, but me mentioning it was just as a workaround not a solution. Do you know why the defaults hardware decoder option isn't working though after sleep? I just want to thank you for creating this kext and method for allowing iTunes videos to play! :D

Sorry for double posting. I did make some progress without removing the AppleIntel5000GraphicsVAdriver. I ran the command: "defaults write com.apple.coremedia hardwareVideoDecoder disable" instead of "defaults write com.apple.coremedia hardwaveVideoDecoder disable" listed on Github and software decoder is now being used which is allowing certain videos to play when resuming from sleep. The main thing is certain applications like Google Chrome, iTunes and DVD player will either not launch properly or will not play any videos after sleep. The application will just hang and I have to force close it.

Sorry for double posting. I did make some progress without removing the AppleIntel5000GraphicsVAdriver. I ran the command: "defaults write com.apple.coremedia hardwareVideoDecoder disable" instead of "defaults write com.apple.coremedia hardwaveVideoDecoder disable" listed on Github and software decoder is now being used which is allowing certain videos to play when resuming from sleep. The main thing is certain applications like Google Chrome, iTunes and DVD player will either not launch properly or will not play any videos after sleep. The application will just hang and I have to force close it.

Thanks for spotting the typo, I corrected it. As for the issue I cannot tell anything so far.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

after replacing <48 89 8b a8 00 00 00> by <90 90 90 90 90 90 90> in AppleIntelFramebufferAzul ​and loading the shiki.kext, I was able to watch HD Trailers with iTunes. 

But sadly the patch disables my display overrides for selecting 1920x1080 hidpi as my monitors resolution?

This just to let you now - it's no pain to me because I never watch HD Trailer with iTunes ;)

Bye

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any new developments with the Shiki.kext? I am not having much luck.

It is pretty much complete.

* HDCP bugs are out of Shiki research but are related to GPU support, I might give a look to HD 4600 some day, but it is not going to be soon;

* Fixing up (DRM/FairPlay 2) hardware decoding will require defeating commercial-level obfuscation and months of reverse-engineering, I am not ready for that and it is absolutely unlikely anybody could really do it in reasonable time just out of interest;

* Any compatibility with new operating systems released migh be added with time depending on what changes happen in their code.

* Opensourcing Shiki is not likely, nobody capable to continue the research is interested.

• Like 1

It is pretty much complete.

* HDCP bugs are out of Shiki research but are related to GPU support, I might give a look to HD 4600 some day, but it is not going to be soon;

* Fixing up (DRM/FairPlay 2) hardware decoding will require defeating commercial-level obfuscation and months of reverse-engineering, I am not ready for that and it is absolutely unlikely anybody could really do it in reasonable time just out of interest;

* Any compatibility with new operating systems released migh be added with time depending on what changes happen in their code.

* Opensourcing Shiki is not likely, nobody capable to continue the research is interested.

Any pointers? 

10.12.2, Ga-Z97-UD5H f10 Haswell i7 4780k, Maxwell Nvidia 980ti, Newest Clover, Newest Shiki 1.9 and iMac in the EFI Kexts/10.12/, 

At present I can only watch purchased iTunes if I download them first, no streaming. Strange but for some reason I can only watch Boardwalk Empire via stream?!?!?! 

Was able it get it before updating to Sierra. 

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks @lvs1974 and @vit9696! I tried the patch posted on the other forum for Shiki and the AppleIntelHD5000Graphics patch is working really good on my Intel 4600 with Shiki. I get no lockups now on my PC and I still get hardware decoding! The one bug is sometimes you will get a delay of a couple seconds when playing certain content. For anyone interested that hasn't saw it, the patch is located here

Hi Andrw0380, you should probably go with the recent version of the modification. It should have those freezes fixed, and is compatible with any os version. The usage at this point is reasonably tricky though. https://applelife.ru/threads/shiki-patcher-polzovatelskogo-urovnja.1349123/page-22#post-637442

Is it possible to add that via a Clover patch? AppleALC doesn't play well with my IDT 92HD91BXX even though it's supported

Edit: I applied your AppleALC after patching and my Intel 4600 is still playing videos correctly, haven't tried sleep yet to make sure that still works. Even though you don't suggest it, I kept my patched HDA.kext and just had to remove my HDMI kext to make the AppleALC work and I still have working audio.

Is it possible to add that via a Clover patch? AppleALC doesn't play well with my IDT 92HD91BXX even though it's supported

Edit: I applied your AppleALC after patching and my Intel 4600 is still playing videos correctly, haven't tried sleep yet to make sure that still works. Even though you don't suggest it, I kept my patched HDA.kext and just had to remove my HDMI kext to make the AppleALC work and I still have working audio.

No, it is not. Clover patcher is unfortunately not too advanced for that. AppleALC is certainly not a place to do such modifications, the diff is basically a proof of concept. That's why no binaries, no public recommendations etc.

I will hopefully make this properly separated one day, but just as everybody am short on resources.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey @vit9696 I saw your post on the Russian forum and said you need testers. I can help on my Envy j-000 Intel 4600 PC. I am running 10.12.3.

Hi, Andrw0380. Setting up two testing phases across the two forums would have been rather inconvenient, so I decided to stay away from insanely this time. Luckily we are almost done, and I'd rather suggest you to wait a little longer than to try testing something pre-release which could possibly lead to some issues. Thanks!

• Like 1

Released version 2.0.0. One must now install Lilu to use Shiki.

Source code is now open, you may contribute if you want to improve anything.

In order to prevent Intel Azul GPU freezes based on our collaborative work @lvs1974 released IntelGraphicsFixup plugin.

FAQ was updated. To compile Shiki you need to copy Lilu.kext DEBUG version to the source code directory.

• Like 5

Released version 2.0.0. One must now install Lilu to use Shiki.

Source code is now open, you may contribute if you want to improve anything.

In order to prevent Intel Azul GPU freezes based on our collaborative work @lvs1974 released IntelGraphicsFixup plugin.

FAQ was updated. To compile Shiki you need to copy Lilu.kext DEBUG version to the source code directory.

Thanks tried it and no freezes on my Intel 4600. One question, why do you need to install Lilu to use Shiki and the IntelGraphicsFixup?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello.

I got a question:

Is it somehow possible and/or related to the technologies Shiki is using to force macOS to NOT enable HDCP ?

I do not want to watch DRM content, I don't care if iTunes or Netflix are working or not.

It is because of a special device I am using for multiscreen applications.

This device needs unencrypted signals to work properly, but because of some bug or reason HDCP is initialized, thoug the device is "telling" the graphic card that it is non-HDCP.

This issue occurs only on Nvidia GPUs, it does not matter if it's a hack or a Macbook with Nvidia graphics.

With an AMD Macbook it is working correctly. Also it is working with Windows on the same Nvidia machine.

So it is not a hardware issue.

Which kext is responsible for HDCP initialization?

Thanks and cheers

Roland