Atheros wireless driver OS X 10.11/12 for unsupported cards

jalavoui

631 posts in this topic

but it is the vanilla driver that you are working with? Do not use fix and fake id. You need original AirPortAtheros40 and only the kexttopatch without fake id and fix

Yes, I know, I've simply told, that NONE of this two methods works for me, only the replacing with patched kext.

Yes, I was trying with the vanilla, and no luck..

I need to redo the procediment and verify but this are the steps that I've follow. By the way is the most stable I've used so far. Try without deleting the kext. The driver I have is the vanilla and the configuration is the same as yours

I need to redo the procediment and verify but this are the steps that I've follow. By the way is the most stable I've used so far. Try without deleting the kext. The driver I have is the vanilla and the configuration is the same as yours

Hello, NB96!

Please, tell me if I understood ok your procedure:

1- The original-vanilla IO80211Family.kext under S/L/E.

2- Copy the vanilla AirPortAtheros40.kext, which is inside of the IO80211Family.kext, to S/L/E.

3- Clover config.plist as it was when I used v5 (I have a backup of that config.plist), but adding the new patch you are saying.

4- I suppose it's easier to use Kext Utility v2.6.6 to rebuild all the kextcaches/permissions/etc and so I don't need to be two times rebooting, etc. Have you checked doing this this way?

Thank you very much,

Here is the AR946X.v10.  (only for macOS Sierra).  It's a patched version so please don't use it with KextsToPatch because it might not work...

Both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz should work.  2.4Ghz seems to be more stable than 5Ghz...

• Like 1

Confirmed on 10.12.5 vanilla + id changing(on the vanilla plist) + Clover KextToPatch (AR9565.plist). 

QCA9565 1608c,36

Finding networks and stable (for now)

--------

New, 10.12.5 vanilla  + Clover KextToPath (AR9565.plist) http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312045-atheros-wireless-driver-os-x-101112-for-unsupported-cards/?p=2414859 + KextToPath change pci-id

<dict>
	<key>Comment</key>
	<string>Change pci168c,30 to pci168c,36</string>
	<key>Disabled</key>
	<false/>
	<key>Find</key>
	<data>PHN0cmluZz5wY2kxNjhjLDMwPC9zdHJpbmc+</data>
	<key>InfoPlistPatch</key>
	<true/>
	<key>MatchOS</key>
	<string>10.12.x</string>
	<key>Name</key>
	<string>com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros40</string>
	<key>Replace</key>
	<data>PHN0cmluZz5wY2kxNjhjLDM2PC9zdHJpbmc+</data>
</dict>

post-339515-0-15185500-1494905559_thumb.png

Edited by jalves
  • Like 1

Hello, NB96!

Please, tell me if I understood ok your procedure:

1- The original-vanilla IO80211Family.kext under S/L/E.

2- Copy the vanilla AirPortAtheros40.kext, which is inside of the IO80211Family.kext, to S/L/E.

3- Clover config.plist as it was when I used v5 (I have a backup of that config.plist), but adding the new patch you are saying.

4- I suppose it's easier to use Kext Utility v2.6.6 to rebuild all the kextcaches/permissions/etc and so I don't need to be two times rebooting, etc. Have you checked doing this this way?

Thank you very much,

Helo, NB96,

Could you confirm if I have understood what you said? I'd like to check it.

It is correct but when you do that copy you need to rebuild the cache e load the kext (AirPortAtheros40) you have just copied and restart. Then you must check that after you have restarted the wifi is recognized. @chunnann if you can help me so we can create a more simple and working guide for others because with this because this version is stable no matter what the connection is always on in two days I had one disconnection,

EDIT: it is working also with the 10.12.5

It is correct but when you do that copy you need to rebuild the cache e load the kext (AirPortAtheros40) you have just copied and restart. Then you must check that after you have restarted the wifi is recognized. @chunnann if you can help me so we can create a more simple e working guide for others because with this because this version is stable no matter what the connection is always on in two days I had one disconnection

This would be great, as for now, this doesn't work for me, only patched variant..

Here is the AR946X.v10.  (only for macOS Sierra).  It's a patched version so please don't use it with KextsToPatch because it might not work...

See no changes from v9..

And after every installation, and from time to time after boot a can't do anything and need to do a hard reset

It is correct but when you do that copy you need to rebuild the cache e load the kext (AirPortAtheros40) you have just copied and restart. Then you must check that after you have restarted the wifi is recognized. @chunnann if you can help me so we can create a more simple and working guide for others because with this because this version is stable no matter what the connection is always on in two days I had one disconnection,

EDIT: it is working also with the 10.12.5

So, even without delete your method is not working for me.. Maybe, my pci-id is differs from yours? I've got ar5bw222 with ar9462

UPD. No, I am on 34 too, checked it via ioreg... Don't know, what is wrong..(

Edited by fr0n1k22

It seems me that v10 has better stability, instead of disconnects it has only speed drops to 2-3 mb/s (When normal is about 40-60 for me).

By the way, you could simply install this in s/l/e with kext wizard or another, this works without replaces, correct me, if this method is not good.

Hello,

Here is how I made Clover KextToPatch method work on my system:

1. Enable AddDTGP_0001 and FixAirport_4000 on ACPI/DSDT/Fixes of config.plist.

2. Make sure 0x0030168C is on Devices/FakeID/WIFI of config.plist.

3. Copy and paste your device plist (AR9462.plist, AR9485.plist or AR9565.plist) to config.plist

4. Boot into macOS and make sure AirPortAtheros40 is loaded.  (Wi-Fi won't work on the 1st boot)

5. Once confirming AirPortAtheros40 is loaded, go to terminal and run "touch /System/Library/Extensions" to rebuild the cache.

6. Reboot into macOS and Wi-Fi should work (on the 2nd boot).

Should you still have problems, I'd recommend that you search on the forums regarding how to use KextToPatch...  Good luck!

This method doesnt work for me because I get kernel panic. Istead of usign FixAirport_4000, AddDTGP_0001 and FakeID (so the steps 1. and 2.) I'm using the KextToPatch to modify the ID written in the plist of the original driver. @chunnann, @fr0n1k22, @skyfly555 can you try to follow the @chunnann guide above guide but istead of using FixAirport_4000, AddDTGP_0001 and FakeID FakeID (so the steps 1. and 2.) uses my KextToPatch that follows?

<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>pci168c,30 to pci168c,34 (AR946x)</string>
				<key>Disabled</key>
				<false/>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				PHN0cmluZz5wY2kxNjhjLDMwPC9zdHJpbmc+
				</data>
				<true/>
				<key>MatchOS</key>
				<string>10.12.x</string>
				<key>Name</key>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				PHN0cmluZz5wY2kxNjhjLDM0PC9zdHJpbmc+
				</data>
			</dict>

By the way the KextToPatch mehod is the more stable so it will be good if we get everyone to make it work so more people could test.

This method doesnt work for me because I get kernel panic. Istead of usign FixAirport_4000, AddDTGP_0001 and FakeID (so the steps 1. and 2.) I'm using the KextToPatch to modify the ID written in the plist of the original driver. @chunnann, @fr0n1k22, @skyfly555 can you try to follow the @chunnann guide above guide but istead of using FixAirport_4000, AddDTGP_0001 and FakeID FakeID (so the steps 1. and 2.) uses my KextToPatch that follows?

<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<key>Disabled</key>
				<false/>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				</data>
				<true/>
				<key>MatchOS</key>
				<string>10.12.x</string>
				<key>Name</key>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				</data>
			</dict>

By the way the KextToPatch mehod is the more stable so it will be good if we get everyone to make it work so more people could test.
I've tried yours and original one (kextto guide), but none of them is working for me, and I am so sad, because with the patched kext from to time I got drops and my system freezes, and only way to make it work again - reboot.

<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<key>Disabled</key>
				<false/>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				</data>
				<true/>
				<key>MatchOS</key>
				<string>10.12.x</string>
				<key>Name</key>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				</data>
			</dict>

@NB96, I've done that. With the vanilla IO...kext

I've copied the vanilla Atheros40.kext to S/L/E, too.

Rebooted two times, etc.

It doesn't work.

So, do I have to do this with Atheros v5 and not with the vanilla one? I understood this was done with vanilla atheros.

Thank you,

@NB96, I've done that. With the vanilla IO...kext

I've copied the vanilla Atheros40.kext to S/L/E, too.

Rebooted two times, etc.

It doesn't work.

So, do I have to do this with Atheros v5 and not with the vanilla one? I understood this was done with vanilla atheros.

Thank you,

You should do this with vanilla one, but relax, for me this doesn't work too, it seems like normal for us..

Ok, here is what I got: 

@chunnann kexttopatch method - Mac OS doesn't boot at all after AddDTGP_0001 fix, without it - nothing working 

@NB96 - doesn't work, boots, kext is loaded, but hardware is not detected..

v5-v10 works, but speed drops and 1-2-3 times a day I need to do hard reset to make computer work again(

You should do this with vanilla one, but relax, for me this doesn't work too, it seems like normal for us..

Ok, here is what I got: 

@chunnann kexttopatch method - Mac OS doesn't boot at all after AddDTGP_0001 fix, without it - nothing working 

@NB96 - doesn't work, boots, kext is loaded, but hardware is not detected..

v5-v10 works, but speed drops and 1-2-3 times a day I need to do hard reset to make computer work(

I agree.

And, in my case, v10 gives me great problems with mDNSresolver, tones of time to load everything due to this. Much better v5, but I just use it for some minutes, so I don't know, if I used it for hours, if I would need to do hard reset like in your case.

Hello,

Here is how I made Clover KextToPatch method work on my system:

1. Enable AddDTGP_0001 and FixAirport_4000 on ACPI/DSDT/Fixes of config.plist.

2. Make sure 0x0030168C is on Devices/FakeID/WIFI of config.plist.

3. Copy and paste your device plist (AR9462.plist, AR9485.plist or AR9565.plist) to config.plist

4. Boot into macOS and make sure AirPortAtheros40 is loaded.  (Wi-Fi won't work on the 1st boot)

5. Once confirming AirPortAtheros40 is loaded, go to terminal and run "touch /System/Library/Extensions" to rebuild the cache.

6. Reboot into macOS and Wi-Fi should work (on the 2nd boot).

Should you still have problems, I'd recommend that you search on the forums regarding how to use KextToPatch...  Good luck!

So, I can't boot with AddDTGP_0001 in my config. Blackscreen

I see there's no feedback from the developers.

Now I'm using v5 with KextsToPatch and it works for me. I'm happy with it. Great job and thank you!

It seems to me, that v5 has NO 5ghz and it has a lot of battery drain..

@chunnann

Thank you for your help on this project, I seem to be at a bit of an impass.

I use the Aetheros 9485 Wifi Go with my Asus P8z77-v Pro mobo.

Vendor ID 168C

Dev ID 0032

I seem to be stuck at only getting the 11mbps on the wifi.

Is there anything I can do to tweak or unlock this?

Is there an update for this version?

Thanks!

Edit: And where are you getting these newer versions?