Powermac G5 CAD model

eggie

14 posts in this topic

here is a quick cad model of a g5 i have made in pro/desktop 8.0

i haven't done the meshing on the front or the back because it slow everything down and i haven't completed the back I/O ports yet

just thought I'd show you guys

g5cadbj5.th.jpg

ill post the actual cad file later when i have finished the I/O ports

Good one, waiting for some photorealistic renderings :)

yer about that.......

i would need a bitmap of brushed metal like on the real G5 for the sides, doesn't matter what size as long as it is not too small

and a way to get around doing the holes on the front (cause the computer cant handle having the hole actually drilled into the model) would be to have another bitmap of brushed metal but with the hole pattern like on the G5 (i hope everybody knows what I'm talking about)

if anybody is able to make those two bit maps i would thank you very much then render the model with them :huh: (i cant work with photoshop :D

EDIT: the bitmaps need to be able to tile.......

EDIT 2: i have used some pictures of a real G5's mesh to knock up a decent looking model but i couldn't get the colour of the mesh to match entirely, any better G5 mesh bitmaps would b appreciated :D enjoy for now

picture2ab5.th.jpg

picture4nc8.th.jpg

picture5yh9.th.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That's pretty good. Where do you get Pro/Desktop? A trial or something? This is alot like sketchup. I think I'm going to model a 24" iMac in it.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not a CAD guy, I mostly use strata, but to create the mesh holes, with most 3D shaders you can add a stencil and/or mask component to the shader. Just add a black dot pattern to the mask/stencil component of your brushed metal shader. You could also make the brushed metal texture in photoshop with a gray background, some noise, and a nice motion blur. Whoops, just saw the exploding "can't work with photoshop."

Edited by InsanelyMe

woah i havent been checking this tread for a while i thought everyone just ignored it :blush:

@apple freak - yer im thinking about doing that some time soon

@gazasaurusu well i kind of need better bit maps anyways because i cant get the right brushed metal look im not good with image editing, im only in yr 9 (or was im on holidays now) and have been using pro/desktop for a year at school (i do tech drawing and they have a CAD component and im heaps ahead of the class and the teacher so im figuring things out myself) but i have found out that i can stretch out the bit map to cover and area eliminating the need for tiling but the mesh in on the front isn't quite right and the circle turn into ovals a bit

@trav1085 i got pro/desktop 8.0 at school its the full version.....i uhhh "borrowed" it from the school network :dev::) if you like ill make up a imac i need a new challenge

@InsanelyMe thanx for the advice sadly i cant add the masks and 3d shader because the rendering in pro/ desktop is quite simple; its realy just wrapping bitmaps around the models

also, since everyone is interested, at school we had to draw up an ipod or mp3 player in pro/desktop and this is what i did :P

untitledpy4.th.jpg untitled2sc1.th.jpg

• 1 month later...

I never caught on to AutoCAD. It didn't quite seem like modeling to me. I have never used Solidworks. I would really like to try CATIA, but no trials.

• 6 years later...