Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MacBookBro67

This is strictly a MacPro 1'1 Question

5 posts in this topic

I have a MacPro 1'1 - This may not be the best place for this post but I couldn't find a netter one. I am attempting to build an iEl Capitam hacked installer with Tiamo's modified boot.efi. I have successfully built a Mavericks installer, and an El Capitan installer. I boot holding down the opt key and choose the USB key with the installer. Everything seems to work just fine like the installation menu is about to pop up but instead it jumps back and completes the boot every time from the hard drive.

Advertisement

You should use Pike's boot.efi for Yosemite and ElCap, not the Tiamo one. The latter works only with ML and Mavs.

If you've already used the correct one, bless El Capitan volume/system folder.

What year is thus possible? certainly not a 2006 model! perhaps not older than 2009 model?I still have an old baby model 2006 ... Perhaps only MAV possible?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By AppleBytes
      OK, I've searching for days trying to gather up the tools to make my current install work correctly. I'm well on my way. But all the links to the things I currently must have were apparently nuked "during a forum upgrade". :(
      As far as EFI Studio goes; I can find many links to it. But for Insanelymac, they're broken (due to the upgrade), or for the Netkas site, they're links to either Rapidshare, or Mediafire that also no linger exist. I see many users here indicating that they used it to tweak their DSDT. But the web (google/duckduckgo), Instanelymac, and Netkas seem to have no idea where it's gone.
      Could some kind soul please share a copy, or a link? I'm a loooong time hacker, and would love to bring it back to life. In fact, I'd love to improve it -- or at least bring it up to current times. If only I knew where it was.
      Thank you for all your time, and consideration.

--Chris

• By SoThOr
      This was spurred on from a discussion in the Clover General thread. Where there was a debate on bcdedit being able create/read/edit (U)EFI Boot entries. I didn't think it appropriate to post all this information there and somebody may want to make use of this and its likely to get lost in that massive thread.

Out of curiosity I decided to see if I could create an EFI entry using bcdedit. What can I say I like a challenge.  Whilst is not a documented method by Microsoft, as it turns out in a round about way it IS possible to create an EFI entry using bcdedit and these are the steps I went through to add UEFI Shell located on a USB stick to the EFI entries. 

Third party software is available that can create and edit UEFI entries from Windows with better support and more features. I'm just making this information available in case those options are unavailable. 

DISCLAIMER - This is not a supported method. Use at your own risk. I recommend backing up your BCD/Firmware variables/settings beforehand.

1) Copy {bootmgr} entry.
      C:\Windows\System32>bcdedit /copy {bootmgr} /d "UEFI Shell" The entry was successfully copied to {34e8383c-73a7-11e9-9cb0-94de8078a7b5}. 2) Edit the new entry using the new GUID bcdedit generated in the copy step.
        a) Set the device and path for UEFI shell on my USB stick.
      bcdedit /set {34e8383d-73a7-11e9-9cb0-94de8078a7b5} device partition=G: bcdedit /set {34e8383d-73a7-11e9-9cb0-94de8078a7b5} path \EFI\SHELL\SHELLX64.efi   b) Clean up some of the stuff that was copied from {bootmgr} (optional as far as I can tell, just makes things tidier in bcdedit)
      3) Put the new EFI entry first in boot order. (optional)

After completing the steps above, here is what "bcdedit /enum firmware" shows:

I shutdown my computer and when I turned my computer back on it booted up into UEFI Shell. After exiting the shell my PC went on to boot Windows.
      Here is the resulting dump using "bcfg boot dump -v" from that shell:

You may notice that the shell shows as "Windows Boot Manager" in the bcdedit output. This I believe is because of the "WINDOWS" at the beginning of the option data that bcdedit added to the EFI Boot entry. I also believe this why bcdedit shows my Windows 8 installation as "Firmware Application" because it has no option data. I don't know how to remove this data using bcdedit nor do I know how the option data, that bcdedit adds, will affect other EFI applications.

There might be a way to create the EFI entry without copying the Windows entry but if there is I'm unable to find any documentation on how one would do so. If you use the create command then it just puts it in the BCD and I'm unaware of a way to tell it to create it in EFI instead, other than by doing the above.
    • By d2a
      So I'm finally joining the grown-ups and trying to set up a new(ish) hack. In the past I've used legacy Clover with my old Gigabyte board and thought I knew what I was doing. But I've been trying to get a UEFI Clover-based install to work and it's going nowhere.

My new system (listed as SysB in sig) is a Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK rev1.1 with firmware F6, an i7 4790K CPU and 4x4GB Corsair 1866MHz. I have the firmware settings set as per various guides and thought this should be a pretty painless transition...

I have successfully run the installer for El Cap several times, but can't get the machine to boot reliably - it seems to change behaviour each boot. Sometimes boot hangs at the Gigabyte logo after choosing boot volume via F12, sometimes it boots to clover but displays no bootable drives, sometimes displays ElCap SSD in Clover but wont boot from it with kernel cache error, and occasionally it will boot all the way.

What I'd like to know is:

Should I update the mobo firmware to the latest version? This board has two more recent Bios software downloads, but they wont allow me to drop back to the version currently installed. I'm nervous to update unless this is likely to be the culprit. Is this just a UEFI issue? If the simple answer is just go legacy mode, maybe I should just avoid the issue... FInally, does anyone else have a working clover install on this board they could share with me? I think I've got it set up as it should be but the strange inconsistent boot behaviour makes me wonder... Thanks