Creative CA0132 (G1.Sniper M3) patch for AppleHDA or VoodooHDA

wern apfel

851 posts in this topic

Tried first to add the Devices > Audio > ResetHDA checkmark - didn't change anything.

Then added the Acpi > DSDT > change HDAS to HDEF patch - output of DCPIManager looks different but still no devices found ...

Created a dump with IOJones - attached.

First time I tried to get this working I also used the HDAS -> HDEF patch + installed voodooHDA, sound worked but not the volume control. was hoping to get this working as well with these new kexts.

post-2161727-0-44456300-1499064617_thumb.png

post-2161727-0-44948400-1499064624_thumb.png

post-2161727-0-06560800-1499064630_thumb.png

iojones.zip

Tried first to add the Devices > Audio > ResetHDA checkmark - didn't change anything.

Then added the Acpi > DSDT > change HDAS to HDEF patch - output of DCPIManager looks different but still no devices found ...

Created a dump with IOJones - attached.

First time I tried to get this working I also used the HDAS -> HDEF patch + installed voodooHDA, sound worked but not the volume control. was hoping to get this working as well with these new kexts.

Hi,

Have you marked inject kext = yes, in the last tab of Clover Configurator?

Also, select FixHDA_8000 that you don't.

And use the kexts from post #440.

Select id=5 in devices.

it have to work.

Don't use ResetHDA

The ioreg dump still shows me an HDAS ACPI device. You probably need the FixHDA patch as MikeSantos said.

Or edit your DSDT.aml.

sooo ... changed a couple of things as you suggested. thank you!!

clover configurator looks like this (see attachment).

but nothing changed - no audio devices found :(

more ideas?

Ok, the HDAS to HDEF patch works, but the AppleALC is not loaded. Download the latest AppleALC binaries + lilu from vit9696s GitHub, or from post #471.

mmmm, yesterday everything was working ok, today after starting the computer, devices are there but no sound!? without changing anything. :(

how could that be happening?

PS: checked and headphones front + back are working. but line-out just stopped without me changing anything.

mmmm, yesterday everything was working ok, today after starting the computer, devices are there but no sound!? without changing anything. :(

how could that be happening?

PS: checked and headphones front + back are working. but line-out just stopped without me changing anything.

Does it work if you have started Windows once?

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a little applet for your CA0132 codec to switch your outputs, until I finish the App with some more features.

It should work with the AppleALC layouts 4 and 6, the microphone should be switchable on all layouts.

It seems to work well. I'm using layout 4 which has Digital Out, Front, C/Sub, Rear, and Internal Mic. The Mic is switched to Front or Rear, C/Sub is disabled or enabled.

Front Mic seems to enable Front HP and Front Mic, disable C/Sub and Rear Mic. Actually, it seems front Mic is also getting audio from one of the Outputs if I have the output selected (I think it's the C/Sub one). If I select a different output, then all the input comes from the microphone. That could be a feature, if you want to record an output.

Front HP seems to enable Front HP and Rear Mic, disable C/Sub and Front Mic.

C/Sub seems to enable C/Sub and Rear Mic, disable Rear HP, Front HP, Front Mic.

The app quits after 10 seconds or when you click a button. It should probably not quit.

A feature I would like to see in AppleALC is to be able to rename the inputs and outputs. This might require more patches to AppleHDA. Then you're app can also rename the inputs or outputs depending on the button pressed. I can create aggregate devices with custom names, but the Sound preferences panel will only show 9 devices and I can't hide the real devices.

Maybe we need an app to show the layout like the Microsoft "High Definition Audio (HD Audio) tool" does (with better graphing), to understand the options and the results.

So, I guess I’m next in line…

At first I’d like to thank you all for your efforts and constant work to get this all done. I guess it’s a little annoying to hear these desperate cries for help (guess what, here comes another one) and to answer the same questions over and over again. You seem not to be tired off all of that and I appreciate it very much.

My story so far:

A few weeks ago I felt my MBP 17inch 2009 is old enough to be replaced. I stumbled over this 9to5-guide to set up an up to date hackintosh. It was a very elaborate ‘painting by numbers’- guide so it seemed to be manageable even for a textbook-noob like me. I ordered a similar GA-Z170X gaming 7 based machine, put on my chef hat and followed the detailed instructions in that hackintosh cooking receipt. When clover took over the Sierra installation process it instantly got stuck in a reboot loop. The problem: The guide was based on an older BIOS not the F21 of my similar motherboard. I found another guide here on InsanelyMac which used my BIOS, but was for a slightly different mb (gaming 5 not 7) which has Realtek not Creative sound. I used the clover folder from that guide and everything went smoothly, except sound, which was no surprise. I installed VoodooHD like suggested in the first 9to5-guide - no sound. No surprise neither, because I obviously mixed up those two guides with different sound solutions. In the meantime I installed 10.12.6 which runs without any problems (except sound).

So the next steps would be to remove all the voodoo stuff and replace it with the AppleALC solution à la Apfel.

My goal would be to have at least front headphone, HDMI sound and volume control.

I know all the knowledge is there in the last 487 posts, but I’m totally lost to puzzle it all together by myself. I’m just to uninformed in this field.

What I’m hoping for is a noobproof step-by-step-guide which routes me through the whole process (setting the right layout ID? How?? rebuild the cache? Where?? ...you see what I mean).

I’m sure such a guide would be very helpful to a lot of people not only me. It would sum up the findings of the last months and could prevent a lot of recurrent questions from being asked/answered over again.

I donated some money in advance to show my respect to this community and to valuate all the work that went into it.

I would even send a Kasten Bier (of your choice) to the doorsteps of you, Mr. Apfel, if it would motivate you to give away some more of your precious time and guide me to success.

Thank you!

Edit (8/2/17)

I tried:

Make sure you use an untouched AppleHDA.kext, remove VoodooHDA.kext, AppleHDADisabler/Enabler.kext, Creative*CA0132.kext then put AppleALC.kext + Lilu.kext to clover/kexts/other, CodecCommander to /S/L/E, repair permissions, rebuild the cache, reboot. Try layout-id from 0 to 6

but I'm sure there's a lot off/missing here. As I said before I don't even know where/how to edit the layout-ID.

Right now my audio looks deranged like this...

http://i.imgur.com/AovmI3H.jpg?1

Edit (8/2/17 - a bit later)

Did the last steps again... et voilà: Audio is working for the first time! (very proud). Right now only from the back panel not front hp. So I will do some more research among all the posts to get front hp and hdmi out running.

Audio look like this now...

K8HEAj7.png

It seems to work well. I'm using layout 4 which has Digital Out, Front, C/Sub, Rear, and Internal Mic. The Mic is switched to Front or Rear, C/Sub is disabled or enabled.

Front Mic seems to enable Front HP and Front Mic, disable C/Sub and Rear Mic. Actually, it seems front Mic is also getting audio from one of the Outputs if I have the output selected (I think it's the C/Sub one). If I select a different output, then all the input comes from the microphone. That could be a feature, if you want to record an output.

Front HP seems to enable Front HP and Rear Mic, disable C/Sub and Front Mic.

C/Sub seems to enable C/Sub and Rear Mic, disable Rear HP, Front HP, Front Mic.

The app quits after 10 seconds or when you click a button. It should probably not quit.

A feature I would like to see in AppleALC is to be able to rename the inputs and outputs. This might require more patches to AppleHDA. Then you're app can also rename the inputs or outputs depending on the button pressed. I can create aggregate devices with custom names, but the Sound preferences panel will only show 9 devices and I can't hide the real devices.

Maybe we need an app to show the layout like the Microsoft "High Definition Audio (HD Audio) tool" does (with better graphing), to understand the options and the results.

Thanks for the feedback. The apps were quickly tinkered, but the second one should work better. 

Actually, it seems front Mic is also getting audio from one of the Outputs if I have the output selected (I think it's the C/Sub one). If I select a different output, then all the input comes from the microphone. That could be a feature, if you want to record an output.

I guess it is the WUH feature, I will test it.

So, I guess I’m next in line…

At first I’d like to thank you all for your efforts and constant work to get this all done. I guess it’s a little annoying to hear these desperate cries for help (guess what, here comes another one) and to answer the same questions over and over again. You seem not to be tired off all of that and I appreciate it very much.

My story so far:

A few weeks ago I felt my MBP 17inch 2009 is old enough to be replaced. I stumbled over this 9to5-guide to set up an up to date hackintosh. It was a very elaborate ‘painting by numbers’- guide so it seemed to be manageable even for a textbook-noob like me. I ordered a similar GA-Z170X gaming 7 based machine, put on my chef hat and followed the detailed instructions in that hackintosh cooking receipt. When clover took over the Sierra installation process it instantly got stuck in a reboot loop. The problem: The guide was based on an older BIOS not the F21 of my similar motherboard. I found another guide here on InsanelyMac which used my BIOS, but was for a slightly different mb (gaming 5 not 7) which has Realtek not Creative sound. I used the clover folder from that guide and everything went smoothly, except sound, which was no surprise. I installed VoodooHD like suggested in the first 9to5-guide - no sound. No surprise neither, because I obviously mixed up those two guides with different sound solutions. In the meantime I installed 10.12.6 which runs without any problems (except sound).

So the next steps would be to remove all the voodoo stuff and replace it with the AppleALC solution à la Apfel.

My goal would be to have at least front headphone, HDMI sound and volume control.

I know all the knowledge is there in the last 487 posts, but I’m totally lost to puzzle it all together by myself. I’m just to uninformed in this field.

What I’m hoping for is a noobproof step-by-step-guide which routes me through the whole process (setting the right layout ID? How?? rebuild the cache? Where?? ...you see what I mean).

I’m sure such a guide would be very helpful to a lot of people not only me. It would sum up the findings of the last months and could prevent a lot of recurrent questions from being asked/answered over again.

I donated some money in advance to show my respect to this community and to valuate all the work that went into it.

I would even send a Kasten Bier (of your choice) to the doorsteps of you, Mr. Apfel, if it would motivate you to give away some more of your precious time and guide me to success.

Thank you!

Edit (8/2/17)

I tried:

Make sure you use an untouched AppleHDA.kext, remove VoodooHDA.kext, AppleHDADisabler/Enabler.kext, Creative*CA0132.kext then put AppleALC.kext + Lilu.kext to clover/kexts/other, CodecCommander to /S/L/E, repair permissions, rebuild the cache, reboot. Try layout-id from 0 to 6

but I'm sure there's a lot off/missing here. As I said before I don't even know where/how to edit the layout-ID.

Right now my audio looks deranged like this...

http://i.imgur.com/AovmI3H.jpg?1

Edit (8/2/17 - a bit later)

Did the last steps again... et voilà: Audio is working for the first time! (very proud). Right now only from the back panel not front hp. So I will do some more research among all the posts to get front hp and hdmi out running.

Audio look like this now...

K8HEAj7.png

Congratulation, it seems that you did it right. Since the screenshot shows internal speakers I guess you use layout-id 1, which is for Alienware laptops. If you want to use front Headphones change the layout-id to 4,5,6. Look at the very detailed test results of joevt. With that layout-IDs you can use the small app, which I've attached below. 

post-448675-0-89468100-1501682775_thumb.png  CA0132Tool.zip

• Like 1

Congratulation, it seems that you did it right. Since the screenshot shows internal speakers I guess you use layout-id 1, which is for Alienware laptops. If you want to use front Headphones change the layout-id to 4,5,6. Look at the very detailed test results of joevt. With that layout-IDs you can use the small app, which I've attached below. 

attachicon.gifca0132tool.png  attachicon.gifCA0132Tool.zip

Wow, works like a charm now! Thank you!!

Any advise how to get sound over the nvidia hdmi as well?

Wow, works like a charm now! Thank you!!

You have to add some code to your DSDT for HDMI, there are also some SSDTs which can fix it. Do you use a custom DSDT?. You could also try the Clover AddHDMI patch.

You have to add some code to your DSDT for HDMI, there are also some SSDTs which can fix it. Do you use a custom DSDT?. You could also try the Clover AddHDMI patch.

I enabled 2 hdmi options in Clover Configuratur I could find on first sight (pic). One is for the patch I guess. But hdmi did not show up in system profile.

I guess I use a custom DSDT and there are some SSDTs regarding hdmi in the *patched" folder as well (pic). Remember I just copied the whole clover folder from another guide. I never touched anything beside the config.plist via Clover Config. and the kext folders. Any idea how to move forward from here?

UZlH5r8.png

Thank you, that's very kind  (once again).

What was that trick again to keep sound after sleep/wake?

It is not recommended to use a DSDT from another system, try the DSDT from here by MaLd0n, if it doesn't work upload your untouched DSDT. For sound after sleep uncheck ResetHDA.

Nvidia audio is probably off topic here but it is an HDA device, so it relates to AppleHDA, VoodooHDA, AppleALC.

There are some interesting things to note:

1) Nvidia graphics card (Maxwell or Pascal) may have 5 ports, but only 4 can be connected to a display. The 5th display must be disabled. Windows can detect all 5 and you choose which display to disable.

2) Nvidia graphics cards can output audio to any of the 5 ports, up to 4. Windows Nvidia driver let's you select which outputs to activate. It can get confused when you plug in 4 or 5 displays though. Ubuntu seems to handle Nvidia audio ok, but some of that is not open source. There might be some info in the alsa driver code anyway.

The problem is, there's no documentation describing how to connect one of the 4 audio outputs to one of the 5 ports. The information from the HDA gives no hint how that is done. I don't think the Mac drivers handle this, so some ports might not show an audio device in that case.

It is not recommended to use a DSDT from another system, try the DSDT from here by MaLd0n, if it doesn't work upload your untouched DSDT. For sound after sleep uncheck ResetHDA.

Audio after wake up should work with this CodecCommander. CodecCommander.kext_sleep.zip

Nvidia audio is probably off topic here but it is an HDA device, so it relates to AppleHDA, VoodooHDA, AppleALC.

There are some interesting things to note:

1) Nvidia graphics card (Maxwell or Pascal) may have 5 ports, but only 4 can be connected to a display. The 5th display must be disabled. Windows can detect all 5 and you choose which display to disable.

2) Nvidia graphics cards can output audio to any of the 5 ports, up to 4. Windows Nvidia driver let's you select which outputs to activate. It can get confused when you plug in 4 or 5 displays though. Ubuntu seems to handle Nvidia audio ok, but some of that is not open source. There might be some info in the alsa driver code anyway.

The problem is, there's no documentation describing how to connect one of the 4 audio outputs to one of the 5 ports. The information from the HDA gives no hint how that is done. I don't think the Mac drivers handle this, so some ports might not show an audio device in that case.

From my experience you need the HDAU device with the "hda-gfx = onboard-x" entries, nVidia card also needs the entry "@x,connector-type" @your HDMI port.

The DSDT, which has been edited by MaLd0n, has all the needed entries and much more, especially cosmetic fixes.

I expect that it will work without all the SSDTs.

Here is a new CA0132Tool, which is more or less an ugly debug tool. You will have different behaviours with different layouts. It would be cool if you test fake Surround, you should have audio output on all jacks with 2 channel files, choose the first line-out. I've still have no 5,1 Speakers.

It's written in Objective-C, Swift makes really big files. 

post-448675-0-68811000-1501850312_thumb.pngCA0132ToolC.zip

I tried DSDT from MaLd0n which did nothing (at least regarding hdmi), then I used the his whole clover folder (except my SMBIOS settings) which made hdmi show up in system profile (pic). But no sound at all anymore, no front hp, no hdmi. Tried to set audio layout to 5 in clover but I guess there's an overwrite by the DSDT.aml - it kept the MaLd0n setting of 1.

http://i.imgur.com/TzetNf5.png?1

I generated an unpatched DSDT.aml like you suggested.

Audio after wake up should work with this CodecCommander. attachicon.gifCodecCommander.kext_sleep.zip

From my experience you need the HDAU device with the "hda-gfx = onboard-x" entries, nVidia card also needs the entry "@x,connector-type" @your HDMI port.

The DSDT, which has been edited by MaLd0n, has all the needed entries and much more, especially cosmetic fixes.

I expect that it will work without all the SSDTs.

Here is a new CA0132Tool, which is more or less an ugly debug tool. You will have different behaviours with different layouts. It would be cool if you test fake Surround, you should have audio output on all jacks with 2 channel files, choose the first line-out. I've still have no 5,1 Speakers.

It's written in Objective-C, Swift makes really big files. 

attachicon.gifca0132tool.pngattachicon.gifCA0132ToolC.zip

ResetHDA was already unchecked in my config.plist. Does this CodecCommander.kext replace the one I just installed with your suggested audio solution? I mean I have already one installed in S/L/E. Do I have to delete the old one first and then install THIS one with Kext Utility? I just want to do it the right way. Thank you!

DSDT.aml.zip

I tried DSDT from MaLd0n which did nothing (at least regarding hdmi), then I used the his whole clover folder (except my SMBIOS settings) which made hdmi show up in system profile (pic). But no sound at all anymore, no front hp, no hdmi. Tried to set audio layout to 5 in clover but I guess there's an overwrite by the DSDT.aml - it kept the MaLd0n setting of 1.

http://i.imgur.com/TzetNf5.png?1

I generated an unpatched DSDT.aml like you suggested.

ResetHDA was already unchecked in my config.plist. Does this CodecCommander.kext replace the one I just installed with your suggested audio solution? I mean I have already one installed in S/L/E. Do I have to delete the old one first and then install THIS one with Kext Utility? I just want to do it the right way. Thank you!

Until now i've only made a few changes in MaLd0ns DSDT, try it out and upload a new IOReg. Install the CodecCommander kext with the KextUtility, it will replace the old kext.

DSDT.aml.zip

Until now i've only made a few changes in MaLd0ns DSDT, try it out and upload a new IOReg. Install the CodecCommander kext with the KextUtility, it will replace the old kext.

attachicon.gifDSDT.aml.zip

Nice! Should I replace only the DSDT.aml and keep all those SSDT files in my patched folder? MaLd0ns had none of those files in his folder at all. I don't know if it makes a difference, just asking.