Asus Z170-Deluxe And You!

Luke//power

53 posts in this topic

This post needs to be updated, things have changed a lot since I wrote it.

So, seeing as everything is working now, I figured I'd make my own thread about my experiences specific to the asus Z170-deluxe. This post will be updated as more information is available.

There are a few things that you must have before starting
- 0504 bios, needed for IOAPIC 24-119 entries
- dedicated gpu (I haven't tested IGPU yet)
- USB hub or usb3 header expansion thing Only 2 ports on the rear IO are intel, the rest are ASMEDIA 3.1
- patience

Flashing back to 0504
If you are on a newer bios (even the newest one) you will need to flash to 0504. To do this, I recommend using USB bios flashback. This is the safest method for asus boards, and also lets you flash older versions. Stick the 0504 bios on a FAT32 USB, and name the file Z170D.CAP. Then, while making sure its inserted into the single usb 2.0 port on the rear IO panel, and the system powered off, press the USB bios flashback button (see manual if you're unsure where this is.) A green light will start flashing, this will take 3-4 minutes. Then it will stop and the system will boot and finish the flash process.

Bios settings
- Disable IOAPIC 24-119 entries
- Disable CSM (for amd gpus)
- Set secureboot to otheros

Clover settings
- See attached clover config.plist

DSDT changes (dsdt is in attached archive)
- 1 change was made to the DSDT as recommended by piker here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/308707-fresh-install-from-usb-installer-el-capitan-10111-beta-build-15b38b-on-skylake-i7-6700-gigabyte-z170-hd3/?p=2183673
(THIS MAY NOT BE REQUIRED)

Post install
There are 2 main things that dont work OOB, the two classics: audio and LAN.
LAN: I was able to get 1 of the ports working using AppleIGB.kext
AUDIO: It's possible to get this working via AppleHDA injection (ALC1150) but I took the lazy way out and just installed VoodooHDA 2.8.8.

What is working
- intel USB3 ports / intel sata

- asmedia sata
- built-in wifi + bluetooth
- audio* see above
- LAN* see above
- dedicated GPU
- correct ram values (others have had issues with this?)

What is not working
- ASMEDIA usb3.1 ports
- Secondary LAN
- HWSensors (This still needs more testing)

Untested

- Intel IGPU

- M.2

- thunderbolt 3

3Kcuhsl.png

Z170DeluxeFiles.zip

• Like 6

Given the discovery of the AppleAPIC string on the Fresh Install from USB thread, is there a need to downgrade the BIOS?

I've been waiting patiently to pull the trigger on the Mobo, now I don't have a reason to wait any longer!

Thanks for all the hard work guys!

Given the discovery of the AppleAPIC string on the Fresh Install from USB thread, is there a need to downgrade the BIOS?

I've been waiting patiently to pull the trigger on the Mobo, now I don't have a reason to wait any longer!

Thanks for all the hard work guys!

Bios edits aren't required anymore no, but I haven't tested it myself yet so I've yet to update the first post.

@Luke,

You said: "I was able to get 1 of the ports working using AppleIGB.kext but was that the l211-AT or the l219V?

Some of you may remember this post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/289729-success-gigabyte-z87-d3hp-first-haswell-hackintosh/page-7?do=findComment&comment=1928712 and all it takes now is to do the same to add support the latest Intel LAN.

• Like 2

@ Pike

Please wich revision have you about Gigabyte mainboard?

What do you want me to test? I have all but two Gigabyte motherboards to test here. Need to return them by the end of next week.

Yikes! Please remove my post here and PM. This is the wrong thread for this kind of stuff. Sorry.

/me ducks.

@Luke,

You said: "I was able to get 1 of the ports working using AppleIGB.kext but was that the l211-AT or the l219V?

Some of you may remember this post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/289729-success-gigabyte-z87-d3hp-first-haswell-hackintosh/page-7?do=findComment&comment=1928712 and all it takes now is to do the same to add support the latest Intel LAN.

I've tried recompiling the E1000e for I219V - the interesting bit is that the driver already lists I219V (0x15b88086). After I compile it and install it with KextUtility on boot I can see that it's injected - the driver spits out a single line - "PM kernel: vendor:device: 0x8086:0x15b8.", but I get no devices listed in ifconfig and Network Prefs. 

What am I missing?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...