Welcome to InsanelyMac.com - No more ads! And some exciting news... Read more... ×
sergiy.gagarin

Checkered B&W screen after L5430 Xeon LGA771 install. Any ideas?

6 posts in this topic

Guys, I am trying to upgrade old LGA775 P5Q board with new processor.
It is Xeon L5430 with adapter. It is working perfectly under Windows since I've updated microcodes in BIOS. Bios I am using is so called 5th Year anniversary mode BIOS.

Dual core E4400 is absolutely fine with the setup. So far i don't have problems with running it on Clover 10.10(tweaked) or 10.11(vanilla config with only latest FakeSMC) on e4400 but Xeon gives me checkered screen after initial apple on black loading screen on both installs. Black has fuzzy RGB dots.

Any ideas what this can be or how to troubleshoot that? Thank you.

post-252675-0-53764100-1446112405_thumb.jpg

post-252675-0-31957000-1446112444_thumb.jpg

post-252675-0-65176000-1446112487_thumb.jpg

Seems like I have fixed it with the guide https://zhaomin.me/core_to_xeon.html

Guide was like except I've omitted first two steps since I had working setup I did it on.
Note for Quad Core you should put 3 (yes, it is No of Cores minus 1smile_osx.png

Now testing. IF it will fail I will do follow up.
Speedster is working for sure& Cant say about C and P states since never was trying to understand them but it is not panicing with them enabled in BIOS. Sleep is working but restarts on wakeup.

GUIDE

• Add cpus=1 pciroot=1 tscsync and npci=0x2000 (based on motherboard spec.) boot-args.
  • Get into dektop without GPU driver.
  • Google and download VoodooTSCSync.kext.
  • Edit VoodooTSCSync.kext/Contents/Info.plist, change the value of IOCPUNumber to x (x=CPU threads-1).
  • Change boot-args to npci=0x2000 pciroot=1.
  • Rebuild kext cache and Reboot.

Seems like I have fixed it with the guide https://zhaomin.me/core_to_xeon.html

Guide was like except I've omitted first two steps since I had working setup I did it on.

Note for Quad Core you should put 3 (yes, it is No of Cores minus 1smile_osx.png

Now testing. IF it will fail I will do follow up.

Speedster is working for sure& Cant say about C and P states since never was trying to understand them but it is not panicing with them enabled in BIOS. Sleep is working but restarts on wakeup.

GUIDE

• Add cpus=1 pciroot=1 tscsync and npci=0x2000 (based on motherboard spec.) boot-args.
  • Get into dektop without GPU driver.
  • Google and download VoodooTSCSync.kext.
  • Edit VoodooTSCSync.kext/Contents/Info.plist, change the value of IOCPUNumber to x (x=CPU threads-1).
  • Change boot-args to npci=0x2000 pciroot=1.
  • Rebuild kext cache and Reboot.

Sir, you are a genius! I love you! I've spent countless hours to figure this out.

I finally got my EP35-DS3R with 771 xeon to boot.

One last problem, when waking from sleep the computer reboots. Have you had this issue?

Hello, I also have a modified socket 775 board and a Xeon E5450 with a Radeon HD4870. I entered 0x0106D0 in Clover's FakeCPUID, now I don't even get the 'this is an unknown CPU 0x3a' error. However, the system won't go to sleep. I tested various darkwake modes. in the most the screen goes black, but everything stays on and after a movement or key press it is back again. Another variation is that the system goes to sleep, except the graphics card, or at least the fan. The system also don't want to wake up, I have to hard-reset. The card is recognized as ID 9440, RV770 Chip 'Wekiva'. The temperature sensor is displayed in HWMonitor, stays around 60°C or more.

Boot flag "tscsync" is obligatory, must have it? If I have use other boot option npci=0x200 and VoodooTSCSync.kext with IOCPUNumber = 3.  I have cpu xeon E5410 (4 core & 4 threads).

• Similar Content

• By pepitillo
      Hi there,
      I have installed Big Sur on my computer and I noticed high CPU usage when playing 1080p+ videos on both Safari and Chrome.
      I'm using a RX 580 as main graphics backed up with my Intel HD 530 internal display activated for computing (as the iMacs do).
      Has anyone noticed this behaviour on Big Sur? Is there any adjustment to do?
      I'm using OpenCore.
      Thanks.

• By zhänx
      Hi,

yesterday I started a project to put macOS Catalina on my Dual Socket System. But I canˋt find good instructions or EFI-Folders in the web.

Here are the specs:

- 2x Xeon E5 2676v3 (Haswell)
      - X99 Huananzhi Motherboard
      - Vega 56 Asus Strix

Does anyone know, which bootloader is netter for this system? Opencore or Clover?

Maybe some of you have an identical system and can post the efi folder.

• By acsapos
      Hello dear Insanelymac family!
      I have a problem with my hackintosh. Everything is working, imessage, facetime, etc.
      One thing is bothering me, the cpu management.
      Somehow the OS can't handle Turbo unlock at all.
      My Xeon 2620-v3's base frequency is 2.4GHz, and it can be turbo boosted to 3,2GHz. Its a huge difference, so i need it absolutely.
      Im using clover r5116 as bootloader. I checked my CPU section inside clover, and it recognizes my cpu can be turbo boosted to 3.2, but inside the OS, nothing happening.
      Here is a screenshot: 
      What can i do now? How can i reach the turbo unlock?
      I did the xeon-v3 turbo unlock tutorial by myconist already. No changes.
      Thanks in advance.
    • By acsapos
      Hello dear insanelymac family!
      My plan for this week, to build a hackintosh. I'm trying, reading a lot of forums, posts, but i cant go forward. I tried OpenCore, Clover, and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] too. I have an Opencore right now, because this loader went longer than the others, and its easy to configure in my opinion. So, the problem is.. When i boot up to my installer USB, it will always stop somewhere after about 10 seconds. Always changing positions, like in the middle of a text, etc. You can see the screen on the image what i uploaded. I tried a lot of things, but somehow, nothing is happening. CPU: Xeon 2620-v3 GPU: XFX RX 580 XXX Edition 8GB RAM: 2 x 8GB DDR4 2400Mhz Motherboard: Killsre X99-D4 (bought from aliexpress) Guide followed: I followed the Dortaina's Opencore guide / HASWELL-E What part I got an issue with: Booting up to my Installer USB What files/config I am using: My entire EFI uploaded to this post Extra Info: I cant get to open the installer overall, the longest what i reached what you see on the imgur link. I have an opencore file with some LOG(uploaded) Thanks in advance, for any help. I would really appreciate that. David acsapos-EFI.rar

opencore-2020-08-11-020217.txt
    • By tlefko
      Site
      checkout our official site! https://twortech.wixsite.com/pcmac Version Info
      This build is compatible up to Big Sur Beta
      Now Compatible with macOS 11 Please leave feedback with issues or w/o Comitted to Updating up to OS 11 Latest Release Notes
      Fixed Bluetooth and Wifi Stability Issues Improved Preformance and Power Managements Can Provide Files for Display Overrides Additional Patches for 4K Display updated for Big Sur if using unsupported wifi card disable it in bios use config.plist FIXED SLEEP WAKE BUG Exact same functionality as Catalina What Works / Does Not
      Everything works minus in-built mic Some displays may be detected as 40hz (working on fix) Notes
      Never tested USB C over Display Output, everything else works flawlessly USB devices eject on sleep (not really an issue) POST
      run sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0 If no mouse, install all voodoo kexts using Kext Utility Description
      This esentially an ultra-simplistic version that is stable without the use of a deploy or complicated file installations and copies. You can easily view all the SSDT patches along with configuration files for the bootloader as they are all documented clearly in the files. This does include a copy of Clover, which of course I do not contribute to and am only responsible for the provided files, patches, and kext placements This guide provides a working setup with little knowledge of the topic and without "optimization" (because often they can break things). But, it is fully functional and preforms properly and is stable Make sure you are using DW1560 for wifi or else KP. If not using remove BRCM kexts from CLOVER>kexts>other. BIOS Setup
      Disable Secure Boot INSTALL (VERY IMPORTANT)
      Due to structural changes in the setup of apple's Big sur, this EFI cannot boot the installer it can only boot into a system / device that has already been created and setup. To do this, you need to install Big Sur to a virtual machine (lots of guides online) and then create an dmg of that system, and restore it onto your HDD using the 'dd' command There are various guides online how to get this virtual machine setup complete. You can then use the attached EFI folder to boot and use macOS big Sur You can use this video to show you how to get your macOS pre-installed onto your hard drive https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMU3nhcbWHw Boot Entry Setup
      Due to the fact this BIOS is locked down pretty heavily, reccomended to use Windows to find a free tool to add UEFI boot entries Messages and Facetime
      Gnerate your own Serials, Board Numbers, MLB There are various guides online to do this and as default they're set to essentially Null (Fakeserial) This is fairly straightforward and there is lots of external recourses, or you can contact me for support. Headphones and Audio
      All audio from speakers should work perfectly along with Bluetooth and USB audio no internal mic Credits
      MaLd0n for DSDT Patches (HUGE SHOUTOUT) Original Kext Authors Clover Team Finished!
      Congratulations, there really aren't any more steps that are required. Feel free to contact me with any questions. Donations
      Send me a coffee/beer [email protected]  

*check GitHub for latest releases and faster support https://github.com/tlefko/HP-Envy-13-Big-Sur
      EFI.zip