colt2

HOW TO: Create a bootable El Capitan ISO fo VMware

17 posts in this topic

With the release of El Capitan, the script to create a Bootable ISO for VMware of Mavericks and Yosemite does not seem to work anymore on the El Capitan official release.

The ISO simply does not boot.

Below is what I found that worked. Since I've been looking for this for a couple of days, I figured I'd share it. - Enjoy!

#!/bin/bash

# Mount the installer image
 hdiutil attach /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_app

# Create the ElCapitan Blank ISO Image of 7316mb with a Single Partition - Apple Partition Map
 hdiutil create -o /tmp/ElCapitan.cdr -size 7316m -layout SPUD -fs HFS+J

# Mount the ElCapitan Blank ISO Image
 hdiutil attach /tmp/ElCapitan.cdr.dmg -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_build

# Restore the Base System into the ElCapitan Blank ISO Image
 asr restore -source /Volumes/install_app/BaseSystem.dmg -target /Volumes/install_build -noprompt -noverify -erase

# Remove Package link and replace with actual files
 rm /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages

cp -rp /Volumes/install_app/Packages /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/

# Copy El Capitan installer dependencies
 cp -rp /Volumes/install_app/BaseSystem.chunklist /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/BaseSystem.chunklist
 cp -rp /Volumes/install_app/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/BaseSystem.dmg

# Unmount the installer image
 hdiutil detach /Volumes/install_app

# Unmount the ElCapitan ISO Image
 hdiutil detach /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/

# Convert the ElCapitan ISO Image to ISO/CD master (Optional)
 hdiutil convert /tmp/ElCapitan.cdr.dmg -format UDTO -o /tmp/ElCapitan.iso

# Rename the ElCapitan ISO Image and move it to the desktop
 mv /tmp/ElCapitan.iso.cdr ~/Desktop/ElCapitan.iso

Advertisement

hdiutil attach /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_app
hdiutil create -o /tmp/ElCapitan -size 6789m -layout SPUD -fs HFS+J -type SPARSE
hdiutil attach /tmp/ElCapitan.sparseimage -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_build
asr restore -source /Volumes/install_app/BaseSystem.dmg -target /Volumes/install_build -noprompt -noverify -erase
cp -rp /Volumes/install_app/Packages /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/
hdiutil resize -size `hdiutil resize -limits /tmp/ElCapitan.sparseimage | tail -n 1 | awk '{ print $1 }'`b /tmp/ElCapitan.sparseimage
hdiutil convert /tmp/ElCapitan.sparseimage -format UDTO -o /tmp/ElCapitan

--------------------------------------------------

It works with VirtualBox

Thanks  ...

The file ' ElCapitan.iso ' allows to install 'El Capitan' with 'VMware Fusion 8' (on 'El Capitan')  or 'VMware Workstation 10' (on 'Windows 7').

On 'VMware Workstation 12' and 'VMware Workstation 11' the installation starts but at the time of
the choice of the language we can't use any more the mouse, to choose the language, or to Continue'

Try setting USB compatibility to 2.0 instead of 3.0 if your mouse isn't working

Setting USB compatibility to 2.0    Tested with 'VMware Workstation 11' an 'VMware Workstation 12'. It is 'OK'

I can safely say that this is by far the easiest and best procedure that I have found that actually worked.  I must have tried 10 other methods and this one just worked, no changes.

I mapped the ISO to my VMWare instance and the VM booted just fine.  I had to make the SMC change and the USB 2.0 change, but that was it.

hdiutil create -o /tmp/ElCapitan -size 6789m -layout SPUD -fs HFS+J -type SPARSE

hdiutil attach /tmp/ElCapitan.sparseimage -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_build

hdiutil resize -size `hdiutil resize -limits /tmp/ElCapitan.sparseimage | tail -n 1 | awk '{ print $1 }'`b /tmp/ElCapitan.sparseimage

It works with VirtualBox

Hi,

i executed step by step... but using virtualbox 4.3 or the newest one from the homepage 5.0x i cant boot the iso... there is only black screen and nothing is happening... could you please advice how did you make it work with what version/profile?

thanks

Thanks colt2

macOS Sierra Beta Public iz OK .iso install VMware.

I have installed VMware Workstation software On my Windows 10 system. I've put a MacOS 10.12 Sierra OS in there.

At startup I always get this error shown on the picture.

I appreciate every idea and help, thank you

error.jpg

wmx.txt

Edited by luky35

It works with VirtualBox

I believe the last line should in fact be:

mv /tmp/ElCapitan.cdr ~/Desktop/ElCapitan.iso

anyone tried with "Installer Mac OS 10.11.6" from Apple Store ?

With 10.11.5 , no problem , boot fine into VmWare. but with 10.11.6 , iso creation OK but boot process stop with "wrong way" blank symbol on black background ...

Thanks for this great tutorial.

I found the explanation of each command line very educational.

I followed this method and created iso image of Sierra sucessfully. 

Now I will test it out on the VMWare on Linux host  :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By fusion71au
      Clover r4747 ISO compiled with GCC and minimal config.plist compatible for use in VMWare Workstation.

Tested with unlocked Workstation 15 running OSX 10.9 -->10.14 guest in Windows X64 host.

Installation
      1. Download and unzip "EFI_Clover_r4747 for VMware.zip". Mount Clover-v2.4k-4747-X64 by double clicking on it.
      2. Mount your VM's EFI System Partition eg in terminal
      sudo diskutil mount disk0s1   3. Copy EFI folder from step 1 into the EFI partition
      4. Shutdown the VM, add bios.bootDelay = "3000" to your VM's vmx file
      5. Reboot your VM, press <F2> to access the VMware Boot Manager and add CLOVERX64.efi to the boot menu.

Substitute your own unique and valid MLB and ROM variables in the /EFI/CLOVER/config.plist (Rt Variables section) to activate iMessage/Facetime on your VM.
    • By ITzTravelInTime
      Hi guys, this thread is to show you a new and open source app, created by me, that I called TINU:

The name means: TINU Is Not #####, the U refers to a popular software that is used to create macOS hackintosh installers (that for good reasons is banned on this forum), but the aim of the name is to explain that this app is a totally different thing from that software and works in a totally different way.

This app basically is a graphical interface for the createinstallmedia executable that is inside the macOS and Mac OS X installer apps, it is capable to create a bootable installer completely vanilla like what you do using the command line method, and also this method is recommended by apple itself. In addition to this, this app provvides to you simplicity and flexybility, and lets you to avoid most of the steps needed with every other app.

TINU allows you to create easily a bootable macOS installer without messing around with command line stuff and without using disk utility, all you need to do is use the app and then install clover on the usb drive once TINU has finished or leave it as is if you want to use it on a real Mac.

Features:
        - Simple to use UI that allows you to easily start the bootable macOS installer creation process
        - It can work with every macOS installer app that has the createinstallmedia executable inside of its resources folder (including also beta and newly released installers)
        - You can use any volume you want that can be erased and is at least 7 GB of size (if the volume's drive is not in GUID format, TINU will format it to make it GUID!)
        - Works on Mac OS recovery, so you can create a bootable macOS installer from the macOS installer itself or from the macOS recovery, and you can use TINU to install macOS too.
        - All vanilla, the bootable macOS installers created with this tool are 100% vanilla, just like you created them using the command line "createinstallmedia" method in the terminal
        - Open source, you will know what this program does on your computer and also you can create your own version by downloading and playing with the source code
        - Does not require to do anything of special first, just open the program, and make sure you have a USB drive pulugged in and that you have a macOS installer app in the system.
        - No need to go in disk utility first, TINU can format your drive/partition for you
        - Uses recent and more modern APIs and SDKs and Swift 3 language
        - Transparent graphics style available (use alt + s on the keyboard or View->Use transparent style)
        - Works using the latest versions of macOS and will also support newer Mac installers out of the box without needing for an update
        - Advanced section, to customize your bootable macOS installer

Features that are planned for some future versions:
        - Integrated EFI partition mounter tool (TINU can already mount EFI partitions from version 2.0, but a dedicated section which allows to mount every EFI partition in the system will be added)
        - Install clover and configure clover
        - Install kexts inside the kexts folder of clover
        - Clover drivers customization
        - Use custom dsdt in clover
        - integrated pre-made clover config templates database from a remote and open repository
        - Support for other languages, at least Italian

Rquirements:
       - A computer that runs Mac OS X Yosemite or a more recent version (Mac OS X El Capitan is required to use TINU in a macOS recovery or installer)
       - A drive or a free partition (on a drive which already supports GUID) of at least 7 GB that you want to turn into a macOS/Mac OS X installer
       - A copy of a macOS/Mac OS X installer app (Maveriks or newer versions are supported) in the /Applications folder or in the root of any storage drive in your machine (excepted the drive or volume you want to turn into your macOS install media)

Download:
        - You can download the pre-made and code signed binary from the releases section of the github repo: https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/TINU/releases
        - Or you can just build your own copy by just downloading the source code and then using Xcode (requires Xcode 8):  https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/TINU

Frequently asked questions:
      https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/TINU/wiki/FAQs

Useful links:
       Thread (english) on insanelymac.com:
        - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/326959-tinu-the-macos-installer-creator-app-mac-app/

Thread (italian) on insanelymac.com:
        - https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/333261-tinu-app-per-creare-chiavette-di-installazione-di-macos-thread-in-italiano/

Thread (english-german) on hackintosh-forum.de:
        - https://www.hackintosh-forum.de/index.php/Thread/33630-TINU/

Facebook hackintosh help and beta testing (Italian only):
        - https://www.facebook.com/groups/Italia.hackintosh/?fref=ts

Contact me (project creator):
        - Insanelymac.com profile: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/user/1390153-itztravelintime/
        - email: piecaruso97@gmail.com

Note that:
       - This software is under GNU GPL v3 license so any new branch/mod/third party release must be open source and under the same license
       - I (project creator) assume no responsibility for any use of this app and this source code, and also for any kind of hardware and software damage to any computer and any device or peripheral that may come from this app or source code during it's use and outside it's usage
       - I (project creator) do not guarantee support to you, this is only an open source project, not a product released by a company!
       - This project is born only for educational and demonstrative purposes, it's not intended to be used for commercial purposes and it will never be, don't use source code from this project to create apps or software for that aim.
       - This is a no-profit project, born only to let people to create macOS install medias in a more simple way and also to learn how to create this kind of apps.

Credits:
        - Apple for macos and installer apps and scripts
        - People that helped me a lot:
         Francesco Perchiazzi, Nicola Tomarelli, Roberto Sciortino, Raffaele Sonnessa, Ermanno Nicoletti, Tommaso Dimatore, Michele Vitiello Bonaventura, Massimiliano Faralli, Davide Dessì, Giorgio Dall'Aglio, Thomas Tempelmann, Peter Paul Chato.   
        - Special thanks to Italian Hackintosh group!! for help (https://www.facebook.com/groups/Italia.hackintosh/?fref=ts)
        - Pietro Caruso (ITzTravelInTime) for creating, maintaing and developing this project

I leave also some screenshots as well

• By Donk
      Here is a new utility to patch the EFI firmware in VMware Workstation and Fusion to allow the non-server versions of Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) and 10.6 (Snow Leopard) to run. Yoiu will need macOS unlocker 3 if you are using Workstation on non-Apple hardware. I still have to find a way to do this on ESXi as the UEFIPatch utility will not run in the ESXi console.
      This currently supports:

Workstation 11/12/14/15 on Windows and Linux Workstation Player 7/12/14/15 on Windows and Linux Fusion 10/11 on macOS  
      https://github.com/DrDonk/efi-unlocker/releases/download/1.0.0/efi-unlocker100.zip
      https://github.com/DrDonk/efi-unlocker

Please read the readme.txt file for details.
      readme.txt
    • By Donk
      Verision 3 of the macOS Unlocker for VMware Workstation and Player. Supports versions:

Workstation 11/12/14/15 on Windows and Linux Workstation Player 7/12/14/15 on Windows and Linux  
      https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/963-macos-unlocker-v30-for-vmware-workstation/
      https://github.com/DrDonk/unlocker/releases/download/3.0.2/unlocker302.zip
      https://github.com/DrDonk/unlocker/
      readme.txt
    • By Donk
      macOS Unlocker V3.0 for VMware Workstation ========================================== +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | IMPORTANT: | | ========== | | | | Always uninstall the previous version of the Unlocker before using a new | | version. Failure to do this could render VMware unusable. | | | +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+ 1. Introduction --------------- Unlocker 3 is designed for VMware Workstation 11-15 and Player 7-15. If you are using an earlier product please continue using Unlocker 1. Version 3 has been tested against: * Workstation 11/12/14/15 on Windows and Linux * Workstation Player 7/12/14/15 on Windows and Linux The patch code carries out the following modifications dependent on the product being patched: * Fix vmware-vmx and derivatives to allow macOS to boot * Fix vmwarebase .dll or .so to allow Apple to be selected during VM creation * Download a copy of the latest VMware Tools for macOS Note that not all products recognise the darwin.iso via install tools menu item. You will have to manually mount the darwin.iso for example on Workstation 11 and Player 7. In all cases make sure VMware is not running, and any background guests have been shutdown. The code is written in Python. 2. Prerequisites ---------------- The code requires Python 2.7 to work. Most Linux distros ship with a compatible Python interpreter and should work without requiring any additional software. Windows Unlocker has a packaged version of the Python script using PyInstaller, and so does not require Python to be installed. 3. Limitations -------------- If you are using VMware Player or Workstation on Windows you may get a core dump. Latest Linux products are OK and do not show this problem. +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | IMPORTANT: | | ========== | | | | If you create a new VM VMware may stop and create a core dump. | | There are two options to work around this issue: | | | | 1. Change the VM to be HW 10 - this does not affect performance. | | 2. Edit the VMX file and add: | | smc.version = "0" | | | +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+ 4. Windows ---------- On Windows you will need to either run cmd.exe as Administrator or using Explorer right click on the command file and select "Run as administrator". win-install.cmd - patches VMware win-uninstall.cmd - restores VMware win-update-tools.cmd - retrieves latest macOS guest tools 5. Linux --------- On Linux you will need to be either root or use sudo to run the scripts. You may need to ensure the Linux scripts have execute permissions by running chmod +x against the 2 files. lnx-install.sh - patches VMware lnx-uninstall.sh - restores VMware lnx-update-tools.cmd - retrieves latest macOS guest tools 6. Thanks --------- Thanks to Zenith432 for originally building the C++ unlocker and Mac Son of Knife (MSoK) for all the testing and support. Thanks also to Sam B for finding the solution for ESXi 6 and helping me with debugging expertise. Sam also wrote the code for patching ESXi ELF files and modified the unlocker code to run on Python 3 in the ESXi 6.5 environment. History ------- 27/09/18 3.0.0 - First release 02/10/18 3.0.1 - Fixed gettools.py to work with Python 3 and correctly download darwinPre15.iso 10/10/18 3.0.2 - Fixed false positives from anti-virus software with Windows executables - Allow Python 2 and 3 to run the Python code from Bash scripts (c) 2011-2018 Dave Parsons