colt2

HOW TO: Create a bootable El Capitan ISO fo VMware

17 posts in this topic

With the release of El Capitan, the script to create a Bootable ISO for VMware of Mavericks and Yosemite does not seem to work anymore on the El Capitan official release.

The ISO simply does not boot.

Below is what I found that worked. Since I've been looking for this for a couple of days, I figured I'd share it. - Enjoy!

#!/bin/bash

# Mount the installer image
 hdiutil attach /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_app

# Create the ElCapitan Blank ISO Image of 7316mb with a Single Partition - Apple Partition Map
 hdiutil create -o /tmp/ElCapitan.cdr -size 7316m -layout SPUD -fs HFS+J

# Mount the ElCapitan Blank ISO Image
 hdiutil attach /tmp/ElCapitan.cdr.dmg -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_build

# Restore the Base System into the ElCapitan Blank ISO Image
 asr restore -source /Volumes/install_app/BaseSystem.dmg -target /Volumes/install_build -noprompt -noverify -erase

# Remove Package link and replace with actual files
 rm /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages

cp -rp /Volumes/install_app/Packages /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/

# Copy El Capitan installer dependencies
 cp -rp /Volumes/install_app/BaseSystem.chunklist /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/BaseSystem.chunklist
 cp -rp /Volumes/install_app/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/BaseSystem.dmg

# Unmount the installer image
 hdiutil detach /Volumes/install_app

# Unmount the ElCapitan ISO Image
 hdiutil detach /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/

# Convert the ElCapitan ISO Image to ISO/CD master (Optional)
 hdiutil convert /tmp/ElCapitan.cdr.dmg -format UDTO -o /tmp/ElCapitan.iso

# Rename the ElCapitan ISO Image and move it to the desktop
 mv /tmp/ElCapitan.iso.cdr ~/Desktop/ElCapitan.iso

Advertisement

hdiutil attach /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_app
hdiutil create -o /tmp/ElCapitan -size 6789m -layout SPUD -fs HFS+J -type SPARSE
hdiutil attach /tmp/ElCapitan.sparseimage -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_build
asr restore -source /Volumes/install_app/BaseSystem.dmg -target /Volumes/install_build -noprompt -noverify -erase
cp -rp /Volumes/install_app/Packages /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/
hdiutil resize -size `hdiutil resize -limits /tmp/ElCapitan.sparseimage | tail -n 1 | awk '{ print $1 }'`b /tmp/ElCapitan.sparseimage
hdiutil convert /tmp/ElCapitan.sparseimage -format UDTO -o /tmp/ElCapitan

--------------------------------------------------

It works with VirtualBox

Thanks  ...

The file ' ElCapitan.iso ' allows to install 'El Capitan' with 'VMware Fusion 8' (on 'El Capitan')  or 'VMware Workstation 10' (on 'Windows 7').

On 'VMware Workstation 12' and 'VMware Workstation 11' the installation starts but at the time of
the choice of the language we can't use any more the mouse, to choose the language, or to Continue'

Try setting USB compatibility to 2.0 instead of 3.0 if your mouse isn't working

Setting USB compatibility to 2.0    Tested with 'VMware Workstation 11' an 'VMware Workstation 12'. It is 'OK'

I can safely say that this is by far the easiest and best procedure that I have found that actually worked.  I must have tried 10 other methods and this one just worked, no changes.

I mapped the ISO to my VMWare instance and the VM booted just fine.  I had to make the SMC change and the USB 2.0 change, but that was it.

hdiutil create -o /tmp/ElCapitan -size 6789m -layout SPUD -fs HFS+J -type SPARSE

hdiutil attach /tmp/ElCapitan.sparseimage -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_build

hdiutil resize -size `hdiutil resize -limits /tmp/ElCapitan.sparseimage | tail -n 1 | awk '{ print $1 }'`b /tmp/ElCapitan.sparseimage

It works with VirtualBox

Hi,

i executed step by step... but using virtualbox 4.3 or the newest one from the homepage 5.0x i cant boot the iso... there is only black screen and nothing is happening... could you please advice how did you make it work with what version/profile?

thanks

Thanks colt2

macOS Sierra Beta Public iz OK .iso install VMware.

I have installed VMware Workstation software On my Windows 10 system. I've put a MacOS 10.12 Sierra OS in there.

At startup I always get this error shown on the picture.

I appreciate every idea and help, thank you

error.jpg

wmx.txt

Edited by luky35

It works with VirtualBox

I believe the last line should in fact be:

mv /tmp/ElCapitan.cdr ~/Desktop/ElCapitan.iso

anyone tried with "Installer Mac OS 10.11.6" from Apple Store ?

With 10.11.5 , no problem , boot fine into VmWare. but with 10.11.6 , iso creation OK but boot process stop with "wrong way" blank symbol on black background ...

Thanks for this great tutorial.

I found the explanation of each command line very educational.

I followed this method and created iso image of Sierra sucessfully. 

Now I will test it out on the VMWare on Linux host  :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By ITzTravelInTime
      Hi guys, this thread is to show you a new and open source app, created by me, that I called TINU:

The name means: TINU Is Not #####, the U refers to a popular software that is used to create Mac OS hackintosh installers (that for good reasons is banned on this forum), but the aim of the name is to explain that this app is a totally different thing from that software and works in a totally different way.

This app basically is a graphical interface for the createinstallmedia executable that is inside the Mac OS installer apps, it is capable to create a Mac OS installer on a drive completely vanilla like what you do using the command line method, and also this method is recommended by apple itself.

Allows you to create easily a macOS install media without messing around with command line stuff and without using disk utility, all you need to do is use the app and then install clover on the usb drive once TINU has finished or leave it as is you want to use it on a Mac.

Features:
        - Simple to use UI that allows you to easily start the macOS install media creation process   - It can work with every Mac OS installer app that has the createinstallmedia executable inside of it's resources folder (including also beta and newly released installers)   - You can use any drive or partition you want that can be erased and is at least 7 GB of size   - Works on Mac OS recovery, so you can create a macOS install media from a bootable macOS installer or from the macOs recovery   - All vanilla, the macOS install medias created with this tool are 100% vanilla, just like you created them using the command line "createinstallmedia" method   - Open source, you will know what this program does on your computer and also you can create your own version by downloading and playing with the source code   - Does not requires to do anything of special first, just open the program   - No need to go in disk utility first, TINU can format your drive for you   - Uses recent and more modern APIs and SDKs and Swift 3 language   - Transparent graphics style available (use alt + s on the keyboard or View->Use transparent style)   - Works using the latest versions of macOS and will also support newer Mac installers out of the box without needing for an update    Features that I'd like to add in the future:    - Advanced section, to customize your macOS install media   - Installer customization: Kernelcache/prelinkedknerel and boot files replacement (a feature that can be handy while dealing with old Macs or with beta installers when you need to mod or change the boot files some times)   - Install clover and configure clover   - Install kexts inside the kexts folder of clover   - Clover drivers customization   - Use custom dsdt in clover   - integrated pre-made clover config templates database from a remote and open repository   - Support for other languages, at least Italian   Rquirements:  - A computer that runs Mac OS X Yosemite or a more recent version (Mac OS X El Capitan is required to use TINU in a macOS recovery or installer)  - A drive or a free partition of at least 7 GB that you want to turn into a macOS/Mac OS X installer  - A copy of a macOS/Mac OS X installer app (Maveriks or newer versions are supported) in the /Applications folder or in the root of any storage drive in your machine (excepted the drive or volume you want to turn into your macOS install media)   Note that this app is under the GNU GPL v3 license so any reuse of the source code must follow the license's terms   TINU 1.1 Stable release:    - Download available here:    https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/TINU/releases    - Source code:     https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/TINU   TINU 2.0 pre-release:    - Source code:    https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/TINU/tree/development    - Download available here:    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/nvzss51qcieynve/TINU.zip     Frequently asked questions about TINU: https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/TINU/wiki/FAQs     NOTE: if you have problems with your USB installer of 10.13.4 or newer version not being detected by clover you have to use the latest clover and if it still does not detectets your usb installer you have to remove the invivible file called .IAPhysicalMedia located into the root of the usb installer. This issue is caused by a changement in the apple's createinstallmedia, don't blame TINU for that, tinu does only uses the installer creation method from apple, which has been changed, causing this problem for hackintosh users, this issue should be resolved in the latest versions of clover which will no longer require that you do changements to let your usb dive to be detected, a setting to do this fix automatically in tinu is also comeing in a new pre-release of TINU 2 I leave also some screenshots as well

• By fantomas1
      hi people  

you can use this thread to link / talk about of the future Nvidia Web Driver updates for El Capitan

Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.15f14 --> build 15G20015 (thanks to DMCrimson)  New!
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.15f13 --> build 15G20015 (thanks to Louvier)
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.15f12 --> build 15G19009 (thanks to WeBeRiO)
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.15f11 --> build 15G18013 (thanks to BreBo)
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.15f10 --> build 15G17023 (thanks to Badruzeus)
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.15f09 --> build 15G1611 (thanks to Badruzeus)
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.15f08 --> build 15G1510 (thanks to Badruzeus)
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.15f07 --> build 15G1421 (thanks to bb1045)
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.15f06 --> build 15G1217 (thanks to bb1045)
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.15f05 --> build 15G1212 (thanks to WeBeRiO)
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.15f04 --> build 15G1108 (see this post)
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.15f03 --> build 15G1004 (thanks to BreBo)
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.15f02 --> build 15G31 (thanks to Moviemakergr)
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.15f01 --> build 15G31 (thanks to WeBeRiO)
      [uPDATE_3]Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.15b01 --> build 15G24b (thanks to DMCrimson)

Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.10f02 --> build 15F34 (thanks to marcozardi)
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.10f01 --> build 15F34 (thanks to WeBeRiO)
      [uPDATE_2] Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.10b01 --> build 15F31a (see this post)

Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.06f01 --> build 15E65 (see this post)
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.06b01 --> build 15E (see this post)

Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.05f02 --> second release for build 15D21 (thanks to Fljagd)
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.05f01  --> build 15D21 (see this post)
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.05b02 --> build 15D (see this post)

Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.04f02 --> second public release (see this post)
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.04f01 --> build 15C50 (see this post)  
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.04b02 --> build 15C48a (see this post) 
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.04b01 --> build 15C47a (see this post)

Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.03f02 --> second public release (see this post) 
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.03f01 --> build 15B42 (thanks to jperkins909)

Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.02f02 --> build 15A284 (thanks to MTWomg)
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.02f01 --> build 15A284 (see this post)

DP
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.01b07 --> GM/DB/PB6/DB7/PB5 (thanks to BreBo) 
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.01b06 --> build 15A (thanks to MTWomg) 
    • By abhinav
      How to install macOS 10.13 High Sierra in Vmware Workstation 14 Pro on AMD Machine
      Unlocker cmd already installed for vmware workstation 14
      vmx file edited...added smc.version="0"

My System Specs
      AMD FX8120 8 Core
      Corsair Vengeance 32 GB DDR3 RAM
      Asus 990FX Sabertooth Motherboard
      Sandisk Ultra II 480 GB SSD SATA 3
      Asus STRIX 960 GTX 4 GB DCU II Model Pixel Shader 5 DirectX 12 Support

Virtual Machine Specs
      16 GB RAM
      2 processors and 4 cores = 8 core processor
      SATA hard drive
      128 MB video memory

• By crazybirdy
      Patched OSInstall.mpkg and OSInstaller.framework to allow OS X 10.11 installation on MBR partition.

To use those patched files you must follow HowTo-10.11.x to create an USB installer. You can't just run the app downloaded from Mac App Store.

The patch is made base on 落下爱@pcbeta 10.10.x patch method

How to make 10.11 installer for MBR?

Open /Applications/Install OS X El Capitan.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg/BaseSystem.dmg first.
      1. Restore BaseSystem.dmg to HFS partition and rename the partition’s name as OSXMBR as /Volumes/OSXMBR/
      2. Copy InstallESD.dmg/BaseSystem.dmg to /Volumes/OSXMBR/
      3. Copy InstallESD.dmg/BaseSystem.chunklist to /Volumes/OSXMBR/
      4. Copy InstallESD.dmg/AppleDiagnostics.dmg to /Volumes/OSXMBR/
      5. Copy InstallESD.dmg/AppleDiagnostics.chunklist to /Volumes/OSXMBR/
      6. Remove /Volumes/OSXMBR/System/Installation/Packages
      7. Copy InstallESD.dmg/Packages to /Volumes/OSXMBR/System/Installation/Packages

OSInstall.mpkg replace to
      /Volumes/OSXMBR/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

OSInstaller replace to
      /Volumes/OSXMBR/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/OSInstaller.framework/Versions/A/OSInstaller

9. Copy InstallESD.dmg/Packages/Essentials.pkg/System/Library/Kernels/kernel
      to /Volumes/OSXMBR/System/Library/Kernels/kernel
      (use Pacifist v3.2.14 to access the contents of Essentials.pkg, and make directory /System/Library/Kernels first.)
      (Need kernel only if you use Chameleon with -f to boot the installer disk, needn't with Clover.)

10. Boot to /Volumes/OSXMBR/ to install Mac OS X.

Work fine with Clover

Work fine with Enoch
      and /Extra/kernel.plist with
      <key>KernelBooter_kexts</key>
      <string>Yes</string>

10.11.6.15G1011
      10.11.6.15G31
      10.11.5.15F34
      10.11.4.15E65
      10.11.3.15D21
      10.11.2.15C50
      10.11.1.15B42
      10.11.0.15A284

If you want to patch MBR by yourself, here is the patch code, works on 10.11.0 ~ 10.11.6

perl -pi -e 's|\x48\x8B\x78\x28\x48\x85\xFF\x74\x5F\x48\x8B\x85|\x48\x8B\x78\x28\x48\x85\xFF\xEB\x5F\x48\x8B\x85|g' OSInstaller
      codesign -f -s - OSInstaller
    • By ITzTravelInTime
      Questo è il thread in italiano dedicato alla mia app TINU, l'app open source che ho creato per creare chiavetta di installazione di mac utilizzando il metodo "createinstallmedia".
      Il nome è l'acronimo di TINU Is Not U (Per le regole del forum devo censurare, ma la U si riferisce ad un programma che piu o meno svolge lo stesso scopo che che per buoni motivi è bandito su questo sito, il punto del metterlo nel nome sta nel sottolineare che la mia app è totalmente divera)
      L'app è pensata per essere molto semplice ed immediata da usare (con un interfaccia grafica progettata con criteri e metodi usati in ambito professionale per lo sviluppo di applicazioni utente) e per essere molto solida e stabile che funziona sempre al primo colpo (a differenza di altri tool che conosciamo ...)
      A livello funzionale quest'app non è altro che un interfaccia grafica per il metodo da terminale "createinstallmedia" che viene sfrutatto dalla stessa per creare la chiavetta, quindi le chiavette create con TINU sono chiavette al 100% vanilla come se le aveste create dal terminale, a questo l' applicazione aggiunge funzioni utili come la formattazione automatica della chiavetta USB che si sceglie di usare in formato Mac OS Extended (journaled) (detto anche HFS+) con mapatura di partizione GUID.
      Tra gli altri vantaggi troviamo il fatto che permette di creare chiavette utilizzando qualunque applicazione di mac che contiene l'eseguibile "createinstallmedia" inclusi installer delle beta ed installer appena rilasciati, e non richiede di fare cose particolari prima come formattare la chiavetta e cambiare lingua al sistema e puo utilizzare applicazioni di mac che si trovano in vaie directory nel sistema e non solo quelle sche stanno in applicazioni ed hanno un nome specifico (nota che l'applicazione di installazione di mac deve essere quella interacche pesa diversi gb e non quella da pochi mb che l'app store puo scaricare alcune volte e che contiene tutto quello che serve per permettere a createinstallmedia di funzionare)
      l'applicazione è completamente aprta ed open source e trovate qui alcuni link utili:
       - Scarica l'app: https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/TINU/releases
       - Repo github di TINU: https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/TINU
       - FAQs (in inglese): https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/TINU/wiki/FAQs
       - Thread in inglese su tinu (English thread about TINU): http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/326959-tinu-the-macos-install-media-creation-tool-mac-app/
      Qui invece ci sono un paio di guide (Anche se l'app è molto facile da usare):
       - Piccola guida su come usare TINU per un hackintosh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZOZOUt2ErM
       - Piccola guida su come usare TINU per creare cheiavette per Mac "originali": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZOZOUt2ErM
      Attualemente è in fase di sviluppo una nuova versione di questa app che verrà rilasciata a breve e che include diverse novità e migliorie importanti.
      Per chi se lo chiede, il supporto a clover in TINU è pianificato per una versione futura, anche se dei protipi a livvello codice per renderlo possibile, sono gia stati sperimentati con successo.

Spero che anche voi del forum italiano aprezzerete questa app come gli utenti del forum inglese, per idee e suggerimenti, siete liberi di esprimervi :-)