About This Mac - processor wrong recognized

Teresa77

22 posts in this topic

Hi, I would like to ask for little help. In "about this Mac" my processor is not correctly recognized and is showing as an Intel Core i7 instead of Xeon E3... My build is using latest Clover, everything is working, sleep etc. Smbios I used iMac14,2 because it is the closest Haswell model to mine.

Can anyone please help me to correct this issue? Thanks a lot.

post-1486797-0-70015200-1441891540_thumb.png

• Like 1

Hi Allan, thanks, I know about this possiblity, but I think it is really an issue and not just only cosmetic. System really thinks that has an i7 instead of Xeon, when you change manually about this mac window it does not affect real system settings.

For example in my com.apple.SystemProfiller.plist I have this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>CPU Names</key>
<dict>
<key>DNMP-en_CZ</key>
<string>iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)</string>
<key>F8JC-en_CZ</key>
<string>iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)</string>
</dict>
<key>NSWindow Frame SystemProfile</key>
<string>1077 60 751 520 0 0 1920 1177 </string>
</dict>
</plist>

There is no mention about the Core i7. So the system get the information about i7 somewhere deep in the system. So I need to change it somewhere else, I mean not cgange it, but get the system to recognize it correctly. Bios and other apps like Geekbench see the correct name for the Xeon, So how is that possible?

And second strange thing is that in this file you can see "iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)" and also "iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)", so why 2012 vs 2013?

Maybe the key is to find out where did Geekbench, Cinebench etc. get the info about Xeon as well the About this mac info about the i7.

Hi JuniorGump, thats why I started this thread. Why should a Xeon E3-1241v3 be listed in "about This Mac" as na Core i7. I want to solve this, but noone helped. Why all other applications see it as a Xeon but only About this Mac, System Crash Reporter etc. as na i7?

Since there's no Mac models w/ a Xeon E3-1241v3 CPU, I doubt you'll be able to get the processor info to display correctly; iMac14,2 only uses i5 and i7.

You might try using MacPro6,1. That would at least be closer to what you have.

And yes, it's not just a cosmetic issue, as your SMBIOS will influence other aspects of system functionality.

As I wrote before I have already tried MacPro6,1 smbios with no effect.

Ah, okay.

So from where are other apps correctly reading info about my Xeon?

Geekbench is probably reading it from "sysctl machdep.cpu.brand_string" or something of the like.

I don't care about what is About this mac showing me. I just want the whole System to know that I have a Xeon and so the system can with deal with it on its level. I think some processor dependend features may the system interpreting wrong when it thinks it has an i7 instead of Xeon. And as I wrote, I see no problem while using the computer, but I can't see under the hood. Maybe the system could perform better if the system correctly recognize my Xeon. Apple always used Xeons in MacPro machines, where the stability, speed and power matters.

I just want the whole System to know that I have a Xeon and so the system can with deal with it on its level. I think some processor dependend features may the system interpreting wrong when it thinks it has an i7 instead of Xeon. And as I wrote, I see no problem while using the computer, but I can't see under the hood. Maybe the system could perform better if the system correctly recognize my Xeon.

I know. And what I'm saying, is that if you want OS X to know you've a Xeon CPU and optimize for this accordingly, you'll need to select a SMBIOS most compatible to that CPU. The SMBIOS definitions are what OS X reads from to carry out some of the 'under the hood' stuff you mention.

2crushers: the link you provided is from year 2010 so it will not be actual for 10.10.5. I investigated current system file with file on the site and it differs a very lot. So it is unusable.

2mfckr: I am already running on iMac14,2 which is the most closest smbios to my Xeon. Nothing is closest to this one.

Hello all, use to use this forum back in my hackintosh days... and it comes back to help me once again!!!!

I had the same issue with this unknown cpu in yosemite on a first gen pro. Usually used cpuinjector.kext to fix this problem in previous versions, but not with yosemite!

10.10.5 recognized everything about the CPU, except the name in "About This Mac". Everything else like GHz Frequency, Cache, FSB, cores, all there in profiler.

Came across and tried several different methods, but this is the one  that worked for me, since the system physically recognized all the specs of CPU. X5355's

Found solution here at insanelymac, link:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/302888-how-to-change-yosemite-about-this-mac/

Here are my steps:

ran command in terminal to view hidden files

navigated to: System ▸ Library ▸ PrivateFrameworks ▸ AppleSystemInfo.framework ▸ Versions ▸ A ▸ Resources ▸ English.lproj ▸

to find file: AppleSystemInfo.strings

opened that file with textwrangler app

proceeded to:

<key>UnknownCPUKind</key>

<string>Unknown</string>

Since it saw the correct speed of my CPUs, I only changed string from unknown to Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Example:

<string>Quad-Core Intel Xeon</string>

then clicked file, save a copy, and saved the copy to desktop
then moved that saved copy back to:System ▸ Library ▸ PrivateFrameworks ▸ AppleSystemInfo.framework ▸ Versions ▸ A ▸ Resources ▸ English.lproj ▸
and replaced the existing AppleSystemInfo.strings file with the one i edited and saved to desktop

Hope this helps! and big ups to Duran Keeley for his helpful post!

about.tiff

• Like 1

Hello all, use to use this forum back in my hackintosh days... and it comes back to help me once again!!!!

I had the same issue with this unknown cpu in yosemite on a first gen pro. Usually used cpuinjector.kext to fix this problem in previous versions, but not with yosemite!

10.10.5 recognized everything about the CPU, except the name in "About This Mac". Everything else like GHz Frequency, Cache, FSB, cores, all there in profiler.

Came across and tried several different methods, but this is the one  that worked for me, since the system physically recognized all the specs of CPU. X5355's

Found solution here at insanelymac, link:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/302888-how-to-change-yosemite-about-this-mac/

Here are my steps:

ran command in terminal to view hidden files

navigated to: System ▸ Library ▸ PrivateFrameworks ▸ AppleSystemInfo.framework ▸ Versions ▸ A ▸ Resources ▸ English.lproj ▸

to find file: AppleSystemInfo.strings

opened that file with textwrangler app

proceeded to:

<string>Unknown</string>

Since it saw the correct speed of my CPUs, I only changed string from unknown to Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Example:

<string>Quad-Core Intel Xeon</string>

then clicked file, save a copy, and saved the copy to desktop
then moved that saved copy back to:System ▸ Library ▸ PrivateFrameworks ▸ AppleSystemInfo.framework ▸ Versions ▸ A ▸ Resources ▸ English.lproj ▸
and replaced the existing AppleSystemInfo.strings file with the one i edited and saved to desktop

Hope this helps! and big ups to Duran Keeley for his helpful post!

Thanks for the help, but for me not served. Continues to show a Core i7. :/

post-637410-0-73757600-1442422434_thumb.png

• 3 months later...

I have the same problem.

My XEON E3-1220 v3 is listed as an "3,09 GHz Intel Core i7" in about this mac.

The rest of the specifications are fine, only the name is wrong.

I have a Supermicro x10slm-f server mainboard with ECC memory, so the missing ECC can't be the problem.

I use Mac OS X 10.11.2 with the actual clover release and smbios of the Mac Pro 3,1.

At the weekend i will try Mac Pro 6,1...