Help me pick a 965 motherboard

7 posts in this topic

Im reading loads of threads and getting more and more :blink: . Some say that 965 boards doesnt work with a SATA DVD and some does, some say that you need to have a PATA DVD with a SATA converter.

I also need a board that can overclock my Pentium D 805 processor, PSU is a 580W Hiper and a Skythe Ninja cooler. One more thing is that I want QE/CI so I'm thinking about getting a Radeon X1600Pro or XT.

Motherboard:

Abit AB9 or Asus P5B or Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 or DS3

Graphic:

Sapphire Radeon X1600PRO 256MB DDR2 or Sapphire Radeon X1600XT 256MB GDDR3

Memory:

Corsair Value S. PC5300 DDR2 1024MB Kit w/two matched Value Select 512MB or something else?

Wifi:

Linksys Wireless-G PCI 54 Mbps 802.11g , WPA/AES <- this one should would work as an airport right?

DVD-RW:

Samsung SH-W163A SATA Black OEM <- if it works together with OS X and a 965 mobo.

Hope that I'm on the right track here... I look forward to any suggestions and tips.

since you are not using a conroe, 965 is not worth the hassle IMO. A 945/955 will have roughly the same peformance with a Pentium D and much better compatability. I have a Conroe chip sitting on the shelf and the main thing that's holding me back is the choice of MB. In the meantime, my lowly Pentium D system (see sig) will give a Conroe a serious run.

I'm running this MB also with a Pentium D with excellent results:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813131048

As a user that have tried two Asus P5P800-SE motherboards with bad results (the boards got overheated due to the current required by an overclocked Pentium D) I'm a bit scared of Asus. I hope that the Asus P5LD2/C,I945P will be a better overclocker and it also supports conroe if I'm feeling for it later on. I'm aiming för atleast 3,8GHz with the 805 so I really hope that you have gotten a good overclock with that mobo.

• 1 month later...

I have the GA-965-S3. Pretty nice board but expect some work getting Mac OS working on it. Note that the '965-S3 and '965-DS3 have completely identical hardware, EXCEPT the 'DS3 has solid-state caps. So if you don't mind taking the chance that maybe you'll need to recap in 4 or 5 years, you'll save $30 by going with the S3.

Try an Abit AW8D.

I booted at 4.2g, and ran fine at 4.1, full OSX compatibility.

I also got an Nforce4 (ECS C19-a) to hit 3.77, but I did not have the ram to go higher but I know it could have.

Almost any newer chipset (965/975) board will get you up there. Make sure it is Conroe ready, which neither of the 2 above are, but just shows board quality and cost is not really as much of a factor with a 805 like people think.