Leopard to Support both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray?

sHARD>>

7 posts in this topic

ThinkSecret is reporting that Apple's upcoming Mac OS X 10.5 may support both the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray disk formats. After taking the Blu-Ray path, this would represent a shift in Apple's Hi-Def strategy. Is this Apple's way of making sure they choose the winning format, or is this another example of excellent pro user support? Being the only major pro media development system to support both formats could offer a world of Apple switchers. Futher evidence of this distinct advantage is found in future Final Cut Pro versions, which are also said to support both formats.

Of course, from a consumer prospective supporting both formats is great. Don't want to deal with the format wars? Pop a Hi-Def disc into your Mac Pro and stream it through your gigabit network over to your iTV. Perhaps that's for the distant future, but the Hi-Def world looks great indeed.

makes complete sense for them to do this, if they picked one format and it completely lost the war, they would just have screwed themselves (and their consumers) over. it'll probably be a while before i care enough to go with either one, i'm hoping by then everything will be sorted out. i think if i had to choose though, i would go with blueray. more storage, and that's what i'm really looking for. be nice to be able to do a backup to a disc instead of an external hard drive. that way you always have that snapshot of you system.

Supporting both formats is a smart move. HD-DVD is going to show the most immediate adoption by the public due to the clarity of it's name: "HD DVD... hm... HD TV is high def tv, so hd dvd must be high def dvd." On another plus side, it's cheaper currently. It'll be popular in the short-term.

BluRay wouldn't be as widely adopted at first. "BluRay.. what the heck is that?" But in 5 years, everybody will know what one is. In the long-term, BluRay will become the standard as prices fall and demand for higher capacities arise.

Apple made a smart move.

This could be very interesting indeed for XBox 360 owners intending to purchase the 360's HD DVD drive.

It has been shown that the drive does indeed show up on a Windows PC as an optical drive, but no one has tested it with actual playback software yet.

If the Apple playback software supports any HD DVD drive, and doesn't lock itself to a specific Apple-Supported list of drives, then this may become a secondary playback solution for owners of the 360 drive.

Maybe.