[Guide] Yosemite on Asus G46VW

hahutzy

9 posts in this topic

Just quick notes for now, will expand to a comprehensive guide later

1. Format harddrive to MBR

2. Use Yosemite Zone by niresh, default settings except SMBIOS is MacbookPro 8,1

3. BIOS: fastboot off, secureboot off, launchCSM ON

4. Boot from USB by spamming Esc on boot

5. Let it install and end in a Undefined Error:0 and then click Restart

6. Spam Esc and boot back onto USB, select the new installed OSX and boot with flag -v -x GraphicsEnabler=No

7. Let all the Yosemite Zone automated updates finish (say yes to Appstore fix and remove the network interfaces)

8. Download the dsdt.aml below, put it into Extra folder

9. Open Chameleon Wizard, change SMBIOS to premade 9,2

10. If this is single-boot OSX, go to Chameleon Wizard's Boot setting, check the Timeout option, slide it all the way to the left for "Quiet Boot"

11. Reboot from localdisk, no boot flags.

12. Open appstore and update all the Software Updates (and XCode if you use it)

13. Navigate to SLE, delete all kexts that start with AMD and ATI

14. Download the Drivers below, open Kext Wizard, install all the kexts (Fn keys not working yet figuring out why)

15. Go back to Kext Wizard, maintenance -> repair and rebuild SLE

16. Reboot from localdisk, no boot flags. Done.

EDIT:

Interestingly and annoyingly, Fn+pause break is Brightness+, and Fn+delete is Brightness-

dsdt.aml.zip

Drivers.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm glad that you have posted these notes. :-)

I've bought a second-hand G46VW and I will receive it soon. I'll let you know what is and isn't working after the install.

Here are the specifications of my version :

• Full name : Asus ROG G46VW-W3064H
  • CPU : Intel Core i7-3630QM (2,40 GHz up to 3.4 GHz)
  • Chipset : Intel HM77
  • GPU 1 : Intel HD 4000
  • GPU 2 : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M (2048 Mb) (working with Optimus technology) ( <_< )
  • RAM : 4 GB up to 16 GB (DDR3)
  • Storage : HD 750 GB, 1 place for a mSATA SSD available
  • Connections : Microphone input, Headphone/SPDIF combo jack, 3 x USB 3.0, HDMI, Mini DisplayPort, VGA, SD card reader
  • Networking :
    • Ethernet : Qualcomm Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)
    • Wi-Fi 802.11n : Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter
    • Bluetooth 4.0 : RFCOMM Protocol TDI
  • Screen size : 14", res. 1366 X 768

Edited by etienneS
  • Like 1

Yes it's a good computer, I received it today. I think it's a good ratio with price/finish/performances.

I've done some research for the 660m, and I don't expect it to work but I'm puzzled with the tiny differences between the mac edition and the pc edition :

But I won't need the 660m for Yosemite. The only thing is that I've read somewhere that the HDMI port is controlled by the 660m, it will be clarified soon. :)

Anyway, I'm going to order a SSD (msata) and I'll let you know just after that.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Well, well, well, hello eveyone !

It's been a long time I didn't give a reply because I was sort of busy, but I've made it working (with the help of your great forum and more generally the entire Internet) and seems almost stable for 4 months now !

So I'm dual booting on the SSD with Yosemite and W10, using clover. I had to change the Wi-Fi card because it wasn't compatible. I've also upgraded with 16gb of RAM.

Previously I said "almost stable" because there are just some minor things which are not working properly, like VGA out which works in the clover menu but gives some artifacts and weird lines in the OS. I haven't tested the HDMI and DP yet.

CPU power management is working fine with the ssdtPRGen script. But I can't choose the base frequency which could be nice in addition to the kext which disables TurboBoost on the battery (in order to gain some battery time of course).

Anyway, I'll post a complete message next week about what is working, not working, and I'll post the files, maybe some picture too. :)