Yosemite Installer hangs on Gray screen with spinning beach ball

LukeWarm74

7 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I'm attempting to install Yosemite onto my hackintosh which has been running Mavericks smoothly for awhile now. For mavericks I used Chameleon as a boot loader, but I figured I may as well switch to Clover.

For some reason when I boot to the installation USB (in verbose mode) it'll spill out a bunch of stuff in like 15 seconds and then stop. Then around 10 minutes later, it'll go into a gray screen with a mouse, but it never goes any further. After a second or two the mouse becomes a spinning wheel of death and that's the end of that. I've left it sitting there for at least an hour and it never progressed.

It's hard to tell what is going on because it actually LEAVES verbose mode as if it was able to boot. Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm not sure if this helps, but I'm not able to boot directly to the EFI partition on my USB drive for some reason. I've tried two drives (and they have worked in the past), but for some reason my computer just can't find the bootable part of the USB drive. I installed Clover to my existing installation's EFI partition and it works perfectly. So I'm technically using my SSD to boot to the USB, but it's the same version of clover and kexts, etc. so I don't think it should matter. It will of course be an issue once I wipe and install Yosemite though, not sure if anyone has any tips on that.

Thanks!

you need to make sure that FakeSMC or some variant is in the S/L/E to continue the install. clover now has a bug when injecting kexts and because of that always keep that kext in your /S/L/E  also, if you haven't set it you need boot args = kext-dev-mod=1 so that the system can use unsigned kexts.

HBP

you need to make sure that FakeSMC or some variant is in the S/L/E to continue the install. clover now has a bug when injecting kexts and because of that always keep that kext in your /S/L/E also, if you haven't set it you need boot args = kext-dev-mod=1 so that the system can use unsigned kexts.

HBP

Thanks for the tip! I don't like mixing the injected kexts into S/L/E usually so I didn't try that, but I'll give it a whirl for sure. Now, does it matter if the Clover I'm using is located on the partition with Mavericks? The Mavericks kexts aren't the same as the ones for Yosemite, but as long as I place them into the /S/L/E folder for Yosemite on the USB drive, I should be all set right?

Sorry for the double post, I copied the kexts to the /S/L/A folder but it still hangs for ages in verbose and eventually makes it to the gray spinning wheel of death screen. I've attached the frozen verbose output, I'm not sure if it has anything useful in it.

Edit: Actually, now the mouse doesn't become a spinning wheel of death, but it is still very jittery when moving and there's nothing else on the screen.

post-246648-14127746191766_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

At the moment, I have a Q6600 / 8800GT / GA - P35-DS3 - 8GB.  I followed the installer usb guide but put that on a HD instead  to make the loading quicker but this would not boot from this HD.  If I put in my current Lion installation on which I inadvertently put on Clover (Still boots thankfully) and use this to boot the installation HD it goes through quite a lot on verbose booting but gets to GUI and this is where it hangs.  Hopefully you can see the errors it throws with XPC bootstrap (pic below)

The clover settings are with no modifications from standard.  The only kext is the fakesmc in 10.10 directory.

IMG_3708.JPG?raw=1

I did do the installation again from the usb as per guide and it appeared to go through all the installation (domne in 10mins?!)  but then showed a verification error at the end and just went to the background screen with cursor but no windows, after a reboot the drive where I had selected for installation had nothing there?! (edit: see post in usb installer section)