Deactivate Speedstep

cristianokeller

13 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, how do I disable Speedstep in my system? I'm with Mavericks, using ##### and DSDT.

In my last Hackintosh, a Snow Leopard using myHack, I was not using DSDT, so there was a kext CPUNullPowerManagement.kext in my Extra folder. Now that I'm using DSDT I think I can't do that...

The reasons to disable Speedstep are: My CPU i7 950 and MOBO GA-X58A-UD3R makes a lot of coil whine noise while speedstep is active, and also I use my system for audio production, so speedstep can cause related pops and overloads in most DAWs like Ableton Live or Logic.

Anyway I'm loving Mavericks, I can transform it in a Snow Leopard or Mountain Lion quickly just changing the wallpaper  :hysterical:

Thank you!!

Cristiano Keller

Go into the BIOS power management most likely and disable it. DSDT unless you have went out of your way to put it in will have nothing related to speedstep. SSDT is where the settings for that are also make sure that you have no generate c/p-states in your Org.chameleon.Boot.plist if you are using one.

• Like 1

MacUser2525 yes thanks! Removing the C and P States strings stopped the coil whine. Everything is smoothly silent now. I've removed it from Bios before with no effect, so I can't believe that Bios settings affects the Mac OS.

From my past experiences, turning off the Speedstep/EIS in Bios has some undesired effects in my Windows 7, it becomes a bit unstable. Normally, in Windows 7, I edit the Power Options > Advanced to "Minimum Processor State = 100%", this works good for me.

There's no way to turn off Speedstep in a Mac without touching the BIOS?

Allan, I use Noctua dual fans, they run silent and low RPM, but they are big. I've never got a CPU overheat issue, I also change the Thermal paste every year.

MacUser2525 yes thanks! Removing the C and P States strings stopped the coil whine. Everything is smoothly silent now. I've removed it from Bios before with no effect, so I can't believe that Bios settings affects the Mac OS.

From my past experiences, turning off the Speedstep/EIS in Bios has some undesired effects in my Windows 7, it becomes a bit unstable. Normally, in Windows 7, I edit the Power Options > Advanced to "Minimum Processor State = 100%", this works good for me.

There's no way to turn off Speedstep in a Mac without touching the BIOS?

Allan, I use Noctua dual fans, they run silent and low RPM, but they are big. I've never got a CPU overheat issue, I also change the Thermal paste every year.

Yes BIOS settings will effect OS X some if turned on the vt-d without a dart-0 boot flag result in panics on boot, speed step will work if the LPC is loading. My main machine for instance I overclock to 4ghz@1.103v up from the stock 3.5@1.15v now using a generated SSDT.aml with it @4ghz results in ~1.3 volts at full load. When encoding h264 video (100% load all cores/threads) that results in temperatures of ~80c with my preferred no SSDT.aml just letting the BIOS take care of it ~60c. Since I'm not particularly interested in killing off my chip I go with the lower voltage in BIOS set resulting in lower temperatures. With an Apple machine you do not even get access to these settings.

• Like 1

Ok guys, case SOLVED! I've deactivated EIST, C and P states in BIOS and C and P in OSX plist too, it's all right now!

My Audiohackstation is running silent and smooth!

Thank you guys! You're the best! MacUser2525 your help was really appreciated thank you very much my friend.

• Like 1

Ok guys, case SOLVED! I've deactivated EIST, C and P states in BIOS and C and P in OSX plist too, it's all right now!

My Audiohackstation is running silent and smooth!

Thank you guys! You're the best! MacUser2525 your help was really appreciated thank you very much my friend.

Your welcome good to see you got it going.

you can reactivate eist and p-states and gain speedstep back.

only thing you need to disable are c-states. those wont save much energy on a desktop anyways. the technique was design for notebooks to shutoff unused cores.

thats a common problem that the coils will whine when cores are down.

had the same problem with my xeon.

good luck

dreadkopp, relative to coil whine, I've discovered that disabling C and P states, you get a partial silence, but if you disable EIST (Enhanced Intel Speed Step), you put your machine to a complete silence.

In my case this is crucial, because I work with audio and there are not only coil whine going on when all these power managements are active, they also lead to a lot of noise (interference) in my external gear! i.e: Outboard synthesizers, audio cards, audio monitors (very annoying)...

Other thing that worth say, is that audio and other real time processing works tends have rapid very high cpu demand and when the cpu is with power management like speedstep acting, it result in dropdawns, pops, audio crackle...

So, "in my case", I need every CPU power management disabled.

I don't know yet how it will affect power consumption in percentage, I'm wondering...

• 4 months later...

I would really appreciate some help disabling SpeedStep on my 4790K.

I have

• Disabled EIST, C1E, all C-States in BIOS
  • Disabled Generate PStates and Generate CStates (and everything else in the SSDT section) in Clover Configurator
  • Removed AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext from /System/Library/Extensions
  • Kept NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in /System/Library/Extensions

But the CPU always bounces to 800MHz every once in a while.

According to this, CPU power management has been moved to the kernel layer since Mavericks, and now belongs to XCPM instead of power management kexts. I wonder if this could be related to my issue. But then again, I've disabled KernelPm in the "Kernel and Kext Patches" section as well.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Im in the very same boat as iHackMyStuff. I cant seem to get my overclock/UEFI BIOS setting to stick when booted into Yosemite, no matter what i try to change config.plist in Clover Configurator. What is going on? ANYBODY have some insight that might help? Others out there also seem stuck with no way of disabling CPU throttling...

Thanks in advance // Anders