Appealing to anyone with a successful GA-Z68-UD3H-B3 Yosemite

clipper99

22 posts in this topic

If you've been able to get it to boot Yosemite at all, even if you have no audio, can you please post your relevant boot files/configuration?

Mavericks runs great using Chameleon. I have the standard Award legacy BIOS F12.

Right now I've about given up on Yosemite and will wait for the release before trying again.c

cheers

You will want to use Clover UEFI, try to install Clover UEFI on your system and get it up and working

After that's done just download the Public Beta through the App Store and install like normal mac and should work (a OS X install option will show up in Clover automatically and you just boot that up and it will install like a normal mac)

Follow this guid LINK.I installed Yose on Chameleon.

Been there, done that, and every other guide as well. Like Alsterwasser above, at this point we're really only looking for someone with the same motherboard and BIOS as ours to help us out. 

The really frustrating part is I have a great working Mavericks system with Chameleon so I figured it would be easy! 

Thanks though.

I managed to get Yosemite install and work pretty well, using Clover from this post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/299865-clover-v2k-r2780-special-edition-yosemite-beta/

To get clover to work on this board, I needed to install OSxAptioFixDrv-64, and in the clover config.plist, I removed all the DSDT fixes.

In order to get a nice resolution in clover, I also installed CsmVideoDxe-64, and activated patchVbios in config.plist.

I then added RealtekRTL8111.kext in the appropriate clover kext folder (the clover version from the link installs fakeSMC) for the network... and voilà (I didn't install anything yet for USB 3.0, TRIM, or sound since I use an external interface).

But... my board was updated to the U1L UEFI BIOS, which allowed me to install UEFI Clover. This is honestly something you could try, it is possible to keep Mavericks working around the update. The main thing that needs to be done is removing the DSDT.

I updated to the UEFI BIOS (i've used it before but was unhappy with my system stability in Mavericks) and was finally able to get DP5 Yosemite installed. I have working network and sound thanks to these patched kexts for my mobo I found here. I just installed the 2 kext files with kext wizard post-install. This post also includes a patched UEFI BIOS!

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/229-ga-z68x-ud3h-b3u1ldsdt/

As a side benefit of these patched kext files my Mavericks install is running like a champ.

I just updated to DP6 without issues. Reinstalled my patched AppleHDA kext after the update, rebooted, and am back to normal!

EDIT

Except for iMessage. Tried a fix but it hasn't worked but since I'm just testing I don't really feel a need to spend a lot of time on the issue. I will when Yosemite is released.

What graphic card are you using?

I was able to get the same MB working, but my GTX 760 does not seem to be running propertly because I only get 1024x768, any fix for that?

It works now:

Here is the Driver for Beta2 14A329r (from the netkas forum):

http://us.download.n...43.01.01a03.pkg

I was able to get 60Hz again in the Dell 2414Q (1080p HiDPI)   :D:

- SMBIOS MacMini 6,2 works without the hack (I loose Audio with this one)

- SMBIOS MacPro3,1 works with the AppleGraphicsControl.kext hack (everything seems to be working)

- SMBIOS iMac 14,2 does not work for me, screen stays black, I guess it needs the AppleGraphicsControl.kext hack

Audio and Net works after a quick fix.

What graphic card are you using?

I was able to get the same MB working, but my GTX 760 does not seem to be running propertly because I only get 1024x768, any fix for that?

See my sig. Not sure about anything Nvidia, sorry and good luck.

Good news !

I basically have the same configuration as you. And I'm very curious about the patched DSDT for the UEFI bios... Do you know what was patched (I use the board with the U1L bios without any dsdt in mavericks and don't have stability problems), is there a thread with any details ?

Also how did you install it, like a bios upgrade (it's not a dsdt.aml file right ?) ? I'm a bit confused by this :)

Good news !

I basically have the same configuration as you. And I'm very curious about the patched DSDT for the UEFI bios... Do you know what was patched (I use the board with the U1L bios without any dsdt in mavericks and don't have stability problems), is there a thread with any details ?

Also how did you install it, like a bios upgrade (it's not a dsdt.aml file right ?) ? I'm a bit confused by this :)

I just removed the ".dsdt" extension from Z68XUD3H.U1l.DSDT and then flashed it to my BIOS. I don't know what was patched and I didn't see (didn't really look) any threads.

All the other kext files I just installed (under Mavericks) with kext wizard to S/L/E. As a bonus, like I said, the patched AppleHDA.kext works with Yosemite DP6 and DP5! I have yet to try any of the other kexts under Yosemite though.

Cheers

I have Z68X-UD3H-B3 with ATI 6870 card and i5 2500K, running the UEFI bios.

I was able to install and run Yosemite public beta with no issues... everything works including audio, networking, iMessages, iCoud.

Here's what I did.

1. Used the "Clover_v2k_r2780_Special Edition_Yosemite Beta" by Chris1111 to prepare the Yosemite USB and install 

2. Used the same tool again to install Clover to the Yosemite install drive

3. Installed the networking, appleHda and Hdaenabler kexts pulled from my working Maverics install using kext wizard

4. Added kext-dev-mode=1 boot flag to the apple boot plist (/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist).

If iCloud or iMessages didn't work, make sure the ethernet adapter is the first networking device (en1 ?)

• 1 month later...

thx to coolpal and alle the others. tomorrow I`ll play, like a friend of mine said to hacks, "eisenbahn" .. I orded a fresh Transcend Jet Flash and an bottle of wine :)

it would be usefull to have an config.plist. in the past I run uefi clover with great luck but very poor/little knowledge. often my board sucks in the early bootphase. no usb-keyboard, no F10 or "enter the bios" seems to be a .dsdt problem.

I have to find out the rev of the board. is the a hint on the board for old people like me without a loupe? I will test the patched bios it differs from the mb_bios_ga-z68x-ud3h-b3_u1l and I hope it will be better. any more infos about it?

• 3 weeks later...

So i guess there is no way using the legacy bios (F12 for me) if you want to install yosemite?

I'm sure there is, I just couldn't make it work at the time. If there's no reason for you to stay with F12 I encourage you to go to the UEFI BIOS. The benefits outweight staying with F12.

FYI, The version of Clover that works for me is the 2795 "special edition" (it's around somewhere!). I've tried 3 newer versions since then, don't know or remember the versions, but none would allow me to boot successfully.

Good luck!

Hi, I have F12 and th motherboard has a core i7 2600K + GeForce 560 Ti.

I have done a clean install from Uni_b#####st, rebooted + used Multi_b#####st, then my computer sometimes boots normally and sometimes not.

when it doesn't boot It get stuck on a black screen when normally the Window server must take over the console style display that you see during verbose boot.

When the computer boots, then (after using Multi_b#####st to finish a proper install) everything works well apart Mac App Store / iMessage / FaceTime

I'm considering trying the UEFI firmware now, Clipper99 & Alsterwasser can you tell me where to find the necessary tutorial/info to setup Yosemite with Clover ?

I'm considering testing with another clean install, then try to update my existing Mavericks non clover with the same method.

Thank you.

I managed to get Yosemite install and work pretty well, using Clover from this post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/299865-clover-v2k-r2780-special-edition-yosemite-beta/

To get clover to work on this board, I needed to install OSxAptioFixDrv-64, and in the clover config.plist, I removed all the DSDT fixes.

In order to get a nice resolution in clover, I also installed CsmVideoDxe-64, and activated patchVbios in config.plist.

I then added RealtekRTL8111.kext in the appropriate clover kext folder (the clover version from the link installs fakeSMC) for the network... and voilà (I didn't install anything yet for USB 3.0, TRIM, or sound since I use an external interface).

But... my board was updated to the U1L UEFI BIOS, which allowed me to install UEFI Clover. This is honestly something you could try, it is possible to keep Mavericks working around the update. The main thing that needs to be done is removing the DSDT.

I have this same board with the same Bios but with a Nvidia GTX 470. But for some reason I am not getting to the install screen. 

So there is no way to get Yosemite onto F12 "legacy" bios F12?  I have the same mobo + i7 2600K + GeForce 560 Ti and have tried several boot loader methods and none work.  Always got a black screen.  Those of you that updated to the UEFI bios, what exactly are the benefits over legacy bios F12?

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, i try to summarise the steps i did on my system. Please keep in mind, depending on your system, some steps might be different.

Creating the installer

1. FYI: First we need to create our install medium. I don't know why, but using the createinstallmedia tool from apple didn't worked for me. So i had to do it the old way.

In order to create a bootable flash drive, you will need:
    - Minimum 8GB USB drive formatted with Mac OS X Extended, Journaled partition.
    - OS X Yosemite Installation.app downloaded from the Mac App Store.

2. Use Disk Utility to format your USB flash drive as a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) using a GUID partition table.
  3. Find the file named InstallESD.dmg within the Yosemite installer app by right-clicking (or Control+click) and choose Show Package Contents. Go to Contents - SharedSupport and double click and mount this disk image. (The dmg file might be hidden)
  4. You need to mount another file within InstallESD.dmg, and this file is named *BaseSystem.dmg”.
  5. Make sure your USB flash drive is mounted, and in Disk Utility, select BaseSystem.dmg (not OS X Base System) in Disk Utility’s sidebar, and then click the Restore tab in the right pane. Drag the USB flash drive name into the Destination box in the right pane. Then click the Restore button and a bootable OS X Yosemite base system will be created. If prompted, enter an Administrator user name and password.
  6. Open the destination USB flash drive and navigate to the System folder, and then open the Installation folder. You’ll see an alias named Packages. Delete that alias. Open the mounted OS X Install ESD volume, and you’ll see a folder named Packages. Drag that folder into the Installation folder on your destination drive (where the alias was). The folder is about 5GB in size, so the copy will take a while, especially if you’re copying to a slow flash drive.
    Source for this HowTo.
  7. One last step, i had to do, was new for me. Open up the OS X Install ESD volume and copy over the BaseSystem.dmg and the BaseSystem.chunklist to the root of your installer.

Installing a boot loader to the installer

1. FYI: I used clover in revision 2953 in my case. If there is a newer version out there, you might want to use that one.
  2. Double click the Install Clover 2k r2953.pkg and click continue
  3. Important: Do NOT click Install as it points to your current macintosh hd. Instead click on Change install location and choose your usb flash drive.
  4. Now click Customize and choose the following settings
    - Install for UEFI booting only
    - Install Clover in the ESP

Under Drivers64UEFI choose
      - CsmVideoDxe-64
      - OsxAptioFixDrv-64
  5. Now click Install

Copy over FakeSMC.kext

I had to due two last steps to get the Yosemite installer to boot. I needed to copy over a FakeSMC to the EFI partition of my usb installer and had to configure the Clover config file. Otherwise i was not able to boot from it.

1. If it is not already done, we need to mount the clover efi partition from our usb drive.
    To keep things simple, i downloaded the Clover Configurator tool.
  2. Click on Mount EFI  - Mount EFI partition and choose your usb drive on the list of drives. Don't close the tool as we will need it in a second.
    See config.png
  3. Open the mounted partition within finder and navigate to EFI  - CLOVER - kexts
  4. Within this folder, you need to create a new folder and name it 10.10
  5. Open up the folder and copy your FakeSMC.kext into it. Optional: At this step i also copied the RealtekR1000sl.kext to get my ethernet to work.
    See kexts.png
  6. Go back to the Clover Configurator and load in the config file from the efi partition
  7. Under Acpi uncheck all Fixes acpi.png
  8. Under Boot check kext-dev-mode=1 boot.png
  9. Under Graphics configure your graphics card
    For example: I have a nVidia 560 so i unchecked "Inject Intel" and instead checked "Inject NVidia" and "Patch VBios"
    Those settings depend on your graphics card and might be different! graphics.png
  10. Save the configuration.

With these steps i finally was able to boot from my usb drive and install yosemite on my system. After the installation is complete, use your usb drive to boot into your new yosemite installation. Redo the steps to install clover onto your hard drive and configure it with Clover Configurator.

Once again, this are the steps which worked for me and my system. Things could be different for your personal system. If some steps are unclear, feel free to ask and i try my best to explain it.

So there is no way to get Yosemite onto F12 "legacy" bios F12?  I have the same mobo + i7 2600K + GeForce 560 Ti and have tried several boot loader methods and none work.  Always got a black screen.  Those of you that updated to the UEFI bios, what exactly are the benefits over legacy bios F12?

Acutally i think that there aren't any benefits of the UEFI bios instead the legacy one. But in my case, i didn't find any method getting the installer (regardless if using clover or chameleon) to boot with the F12 bios.

post-420168-0-76399000-1414972555_thumb.png

post-420168-0-30753800-1414972563_thumb.png

post-420168-0-02283000-1414972573_thumb.png

post-420168-0-22692600-1414972581_thumb.png

post-420168-0-09531500-1414972588_thumb.png

post-420168-0-37895200-1414973261_thumb.png