No QE/CI with Intel HD4000, Mavericks, problems with AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri

6 posts in this topic

Hey everyone!

First post here. I've been following this website for quite some time now, only joined recently.
I am a fairly experienced Hackintosh user, but this time I've seem to have run into an unusual problem.

I am trying to get Mavericks 10.9.1 to install. (that is the version I downloaded on my real Mac, and that is what I use to create the installer).

Intel HD4000 Graphics does not seem to work at all. I've tried tons of stuff, but I can't get it to work. When I remove AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri, it does boot with additional flags, but I have no acceleration. When I put it back, it refuses to boot, getting stuck at [iOBluetoothHCIController] -- Connected to transport successfully --
I think, it finishes booting, but cannot load graphics, so cannot display anything. But that's just my guess.

I'll walk you through all the steps that I took, along with everything that I have tried so far, without results :(

1. Created installer disk manually, and also tried using MacPwn By Niresh.
2. Applied MBR Patch, for dual booting with Windows.
3. Could get to the installer without using any boot flags.
4. Installed OS X on an MBR partition.
5. After installation, I cannot get to the OS directly, I enter Safe Mode using flags: -v -x GraphicsEnabler=No IGPEnabler=No , and finish the setup successfully.
6. I install FakeSMC, NullCPUPowerManagement (to avoid a KP that occurs if I don't), Ethernet, Audio drivers etc.
7. I apply a MacBookPro 9,1 SMBIOS.
So far, I haven't touched graphics at all.
7. I try to boot into OS X, fail. When I try to reboot into safe mode, everything is working except graphics.

Now, I have been told that Intel HD Graphics works out of the box with Mavericks, but in my case, it just doesn't.

I've tried using a DSDT (which I don't know much about), but that didn't make a difference, so I removed it.
My ig-platform-id is 0x01660009, as told by 'About This Mac'. I've tried manually injecting this ID, along with others, using the Chameleon boot flags, and also by adding it to com.chameleon.boot.plist

I've tried patching my AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri.kext in 2 ways:
1. I opened the AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri executable in /S/L/E/AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri.kext/Contents/MacOS using HexFiend, and changed the hex values.
I used this guide: OSXLatitude. This was a total disaster, all I got was a black screen, and I didn't really understand what I was doing, so it made me uncomfortable. The next one was much more promising.

2. I opened the Info.plist inside AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri and added my platform-id in IOPCIPrimaryMatch, and injected 0x01660009 using Chameleon. With some luck, I was able to boot into the installation without safe mode. But graphics were laggy, of course, because of no acceleration.

I also tried removing all AppleIntel* , ATI* , And GeForce* Kexts from the /S/L/E/ folder, and that allowed me to boot, but again, no acceleration, which is kind of obvious, because I removed all kexts.

Also, in 'About this Mac', it shows me that I have Intel HD 4000 Graphics with 64Mb sometimes, and when I remove all the above kexts, it shows me Display 5Mb (No surprise there).

I also rebuild my cache etc. using KextUtility every time I make changes to the /S/L/E folder.
For now, I have UseKernelCache=No to avoid any problems. If Graphics works, I'll add it to com.chameleon.boot.plist

I read somewhere that I needed to disable VT-d to make it work, but I checked and my processor does not support it, so that's not an issue.

So, ultimately, I am stuck now because everything works except Graphics, and I can't really use it without QE/CI because of the flashing lines. Can anyone please help me out here? I've been at it for days now, and I can't seem to find any solution anywhere that works for me.

I was also thinking of downgrading to something like ML, Lion or even SL (sigh), if graphics works, and then upgrade from there? I haven't tried it though. I'm so desperate right now, I can try anything :P

My laptop configuration:
Intel Core i7-3630QM @ 2.4GHz (Ivy Bridge)
Intel HD 4000 Graphics
Nvidia GT 650M w/ 2GB VRAM
16GB DDR3 RAM

Can't really provide motherboard information, as it is a custom one by Samsung. My laptop is the Samsung NP550P5C-S05IN.

Please ask for more info if required :)

Thanks a lot for any help that you can offer!

P.S. I'm re-installing vanilla OS X right now, so whatever fixes you guys tell me do not conflict with stuff I've already tried. You can assume I have a clean installation.

Hey mendietinha,

I tried those flags. They let me get past the the point where I think the boot is completed. However, I now get a black screen. It is a step in the right direction at least! :D
Since I started with a fresh installation (manual vanilla this time :P ) do I need to patch AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri and add my platform id in the Info.plist for it to work properly?

Thanks!

EDIT:
1. Okay, I did some reading, and figured might as well connect it to an HDMI device. I connected it with my TV, and it does work, although I get a scrambled display as in the 1st picture. I don't see a cursor or anything, even with VoodooPS2Controller.kext loaded, so I can't finish the setup. Wouldn't have been able to finish the setup with scrambled display anyway :P

2. I got a white screen with IntelCapriFB=4, as shown in the second picture.

In both cases, my laptop display was black (screen turned off), all I got was output to my HDMI TV.

EDIT 2:

So I finished the initial setup process by booting into Safe Mode.

Then I copied FakeSMC, NullCPUPowerManagement, GenericUSBXHCI, and VoodooPS2Controller from my USB drive to my installation. Didn't touch graphics at all.

When I boot into the installation now, I still get a scrambled display through HDMI, no display on monitor.

Through the scrambled mess, I was able to make out all this:

1. Graphics is shown as Intel HD 4000 Mobile (in About This Mac)

2. I got QE/CI apparently, Menu bar is transluscent. I saw this because when I changed wallpapers, I could see the menu bar changing color.

So close, yet so far! I'm pretty sure now that I need to patch my AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri.kext, but how? :(

post-1273538-0-93857300-1402825053_thumb.jpg

post-1273538-0-79011000-1402825058_thumb.jpg

YES!
SUCCESS! Well, kinda :P

So, I attached this to the bottom of com.chameleon.boot.plist:

<key>device-properties</key><string>7f0000000100000001000000730000000200000002010c00d041030a000000000101060000027fff04002c0000004100410050004c002c00690067002d0070006c006100740066006f0072006d002d006900640000000800000003006601140000006800640061002d0067006600780000000d0000006f6e626f6172642d31</string>

Basically, manual injection of device ID.
I've got full QE/CI working through the HDMI port, 1920x1080 resolution. Everything works real well on the TV.
However, laptop screen is still scrambled.

I've attached two photos that explain what I see.

I'm so close I can feel it working :P
Some last help needed. Can any help help?

post-1273538-0-62626600-1402831664_thumb.jpg

post-1273538-0-90900200-1402831679_thumb.jpg