Windows Vista RC2 Thoughts

AirmanPika

9 posts in this topic

Well I can say this is the first time Vista has installed on my iMac with almost no problems. RC2 finally accepts the Bootcamp 1.1.1 sound drivers again so I have proper sound, I was able to manually install the bluetooth kicker drivers so I have bluetooth again, and I am using the ATI Vista RC1 Drivers to get good video. The single glitch I have is that with the ATI drivers the iMac doesn't see my HDTV connected to the DVI port. I figure future update may fix this. Everything is responsive, shiny, and usable.

I've been using Vista as the primary OS on my imac for about 6 months now and I can finally say I am content and happy. I know all the ins and outs of what I need to turn on and off to get rid of the Idiot mode vista runs standard, my apps seem to be happy, and even 99% of my hardware is good now. All I really have to try now are some games.

Also incase people are wondering I don't use Bootcamp. Its too restrictive as I wanted a Tri-Boot (Vista, XP, OSX) so I resorted to manual partitioning and loading OSX from a premade backup image after which I load XP and Vista onto the other 2 partitions. Only thing I need from bootcamp is the drivers and really only a couple of em are needed now.

Now I just need to see if I can get the Startup Disk control panel going in RC2. Keeps telling me it doesn't have proper permissions to access the hard drive.

good work!

me on the other hand, im not all too impressed with RC2. i loaded it up and it just loves having a battle with m nvidia video card ... EVEN though i ran the MS vista compatability software and it said im good to go. meh ... im not too anxious but i think by the time they send the rtm out, all the little kinks will be worked out. as for now, a'emailing to MS i will go :2cents:

Now I just need to see if I can get the Startup Disk control panel going in RC2. Keeps telling me it doesn't have proper permissions to access the hard drive.

well, i've got the same problem. people reporting that RC1 works with bootcamp made me hope RC2 works with bootcamp, too. But the setup refuses since it says 'no permission to access the hd".

is there any solution?

I'm loving RC2 so far. I'm using a Macbook 2.0ghz, so my biggest concern is still the heat issues (I would have thought they would have addressed them since it's been months since macs could run windows.) I can run OS X for hours (even on soft surfaces, like a bed) and the fan never comes on. Yet, after 3 mins of Vista, the fans begin to run constantly (even if all I do on the comp is run an internet app.) Since M$ seems to be okay with the boot camp idea, has anyone heard of any plans to cool this thing off?

• 3 weeks later...

Follow the basic instructions in the following thread...

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...5&hl=triple

Only diff is I created 2 partitions. 10GB HFS+ for OSX and 100GB NTFS for XP or Vista. Obviously you will want to adjust the partition sizes based on your hard drive space. When creating an ASR image of the OSX partition I suggest you don't reboot the machine before repartitioning and restoring the OS to the HFS+ partition. It will likely disappear and you'll have to start from scratch. Also you'll have to boot from your restore DVD as the hard drive locked otherwise.

U are a shame!!! using vistas as primary os!!

kekeke whacha expect from the first person to get vista going on an imac :(

What I wish I could understand is how apple can get the MacBook Pro C2 (yea I have 2 Macs now) to run so cool. Obviously the OS is optimized to run on the hardware but even so the temp diff is quite large between OSX and Vista. I mean the machine is still usable and roughly the same temp as what my old Dell XPS 2 Notebook was but obviously there is a way to make it run cooler. Hopefully we'll see further Bootcamp tweaks that help down the road.