CompSCI

23 posts in this topic

I am running:

Intel 4930k

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme

32Gb DDR 2400

Sapphire Toxic R9 280X

512Gb Evo Pro

Mavericks 10.9.1 works great...  Using SSDT and mach_kernel from Rampage Dev...

I am running a triple boot system with OSX, Linux, and Windows...

(3) monitors work without issues in Linux and Windows - however, I cannot get (3) monitors to work in OSX no matter how I connect them (whether using display port, or HDMI, or DVI - and, any combination thereof)

Interesting that there does not seem to be a 'profile' for this card...  DP, DP, HDMI, DDVI, SDVI - Default is Futomaki which only has (4) ports (only '1' DVI)...

I have tried all profiles as well as AtiPorts=X (where X = either 3,4,5,6)

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

• Like 1

One of the strangest things - is the inability to boot with either of the mini Display Ports plugged in...  

I am using "active adapters"...

If I use a "passive adapter" - OSX boots fine - but, still only enables (2) displays...

Ok, I don't have any adapter but I've try to connect one monitor with DP, HDMI or DVI and the second with DVI but it doesn't work and my DP is inactive (no signal)  :(

I've also try to edit some options with chimera but it changes nothing.

I have the same problem with my R9 270X on Mavericks. It works fine with one screen, but when i connect the second screen the OS freezes on load. No matter if second screen is DVI or HDMI. Put my HD6870 back in and it works flawlessly with 2 Monitors running from DVI (upgraded from Lion to Mavericks yesterday).

This actually took me hours to figure out because i was wondering why everything froze when booting normally but worked fine in safe-mode. I figured missing drivers but in the end the card works out of the box, just not with 2 screens, which unfortunately is a dealbreaker for me.

Another strange thing i observed is, with the R9 270X i get a weird boot error just before the bootloader comes up, looks like its corrupted. When i put the HD6870 in, this does not happen.

I can still boot with R9 270X using the bootloader from an USB drive though.

I am running 10.9.1 on ASUS P5Q Pro, Q9550, 8GB, 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD and HD6870 (which i would love to swap for the R9 270X if 2 screens work)

• Like 1

THat gave me hope but i already tried the stuff listed there. Anyway i tried again and posted my findings... didn't work :/

The point is the technique.  Unless you have the same VBIOS as Vlada, his solution will not work.  The native framebuffer connectors do not match the connectors on your graphics card; see Editing custom personalities for ATI Radeon HD[45]xxx - ATi - InsanelyMac Forum.  If editing framebuffers is a problem, you are stuck with what you got.  Nvidia has a much better framebuffer solution for multiple displays.

• Like 1

I see, thanks for the info. I am fine with kexts and DSDT patching and whatnot, but framebuffer editing is taking it a step too far. Id much rather pay someone than to spend days getting that to work. Guess ill need to wait until someone with my exact same card figures this out.

I also have the same problem. Im running an XFX R9 280X 3GB graphics card on my custom built hackintosh (Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo). It doesn't matter what combination of connections I use only 2 monitors will work at a time. Often OS X will lock up with the spinning loading wheel unless I disconnect a monitor then it will work fine with 2 displays. It would be great if someone could come up with a solution to this problem as this is the only thing I cannot get to work right on my hackintosh.

I agree @wyre...  

I worked with RampageDev on this a bit - tried a different SSDT...  Even though I was unable to find any controller that matched the Toxic R9 280X which is DP, DP, HDMI, DDVI, SDVI I tried changing the framebuffer coding in

AMDController...  

I wound up RMAing the card - and, getting a GTX 760...  maybe not as good as the R9 280X - but, worked right out of the box using the CUDA core drivers found on NVIDIA's website...

@toleda I figured that the FB personalities would match more easily with later generations past the 6xxx series.  

The opposite happened, much worse.  Major framebuffer surgery is required to get 2 connectors to work on my HD7750.   It makes sense to do analyze the vbios for sense_ids vis a vis framebufffers (see bcc9 post) prior to purchase.  For example, Sapphire R9 280X Toxic shows a match of sense-ids to Hamachi connectors (DP, DP, HDMI, DVI or minor edit for DDVI, 306 > 303/both DVI, not possible.).

• Like 1

Blah! Same issue here.

I've got:

Asus Z87 Deluxe/Dual

Sapphire 7970 Ghz 3GB

32gb Ram

etc etc

Installation was a breeze and I didn't run into any problems until I tried to turn on my third monitor (Installed with one just in case - plugged in a second, no problem - the third causes OS X to boot but freeze every time).  

I have a variety of monitors and connections I can use and choose between DVI, Dual link DVI, HDMI, DP - any addition of a third monitor just screws it.  Still doing some researching but haven't figured out a solution yet.  Everything else from wi-fi to bluetooth etc etc is flawless...driving me crazy.

Addition: I'm tech savvy enough to have gotten plenty of hackintosh builds to work in the past, can play with kexts and whatnot, but if the solution ends up being editing the framebuffers and such I'll just stick to two - don't know enough without spending hours to figure out something I"ll probably mess up haha.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I am running:

Intel 4930k

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme

32Gb DDR 2400

Sapphire Toxic R9 280X

512Gb Evo Pro

Mavericks 10.9.1 works great...  Using SSDT and mach_kernel from Rampage Dev...

I am running a triple boot system with OSX, Linux, and Windows...

(3) monitors work without issues in Linux and Windows - however, I cannot get (3) monitors to work in OSX no matter how I connect them (whether using display port, or HDMI, or DVI - and, any combination thereof)

Interesting that there does not seem to be a 'profile' for this card...  DP, DP, HDMI, DDVI, SDVI - Default is Futomaki which only has (4) ports (only '1' DVI)...

I have tried all profiles as well as AtiPorts=X (where X = either 3,4,5,6)

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Hi CompSCI,

It is a shame your Toxic was not able to run three displays. Anyway, I have a question about your experience with the card, since I am thinking about buying it. If I understand correctly, it did run fine with two displays.

Did the card work out of the box and which bootloader are you using? I hope you, or anyone else with experience with this card can help me out. Thanks anyway and have a great day!

• 6 months later...

Here is a tip for everyone with DP and DVI issues. I just upgraded to a 3 monitor Eyefinity setup. My monitors are connected to my HIS Radeon HD7950 via 2x active MiniDP to DVI and 1x DVI (also on my 2nd HD7950 I have DVI out to my HDTV). I won't go over my problems because they mirror all of you folk's experiences (and headaches). It has nothing to do with what frame buffer is used.

SOLUTION!

Enable IGPU in the bios, regardless if you will be using it or not. Problem solved! I can have all ports on both my HD7950 with an active monitor with ZERO issues. The moment I disable IGPU all hell breaks loose (again).

For users of Clover you will have no issues whatsoever. 

For users of Chameleon/Chimera you will need to include the IGPU boot flag and set boot display to IGPU from PEG. If you are not using the IGPU this will be somewhat cumbersome because you will essentially be doing a 'dark boot', and if you have dual boot very annoying (remove the timer and guess when the boot loader is at the drive select screen), but it works.

Hope this helps.

:thumbsup_anim: