Different solutions

Andy Vandijck

925 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

- macosxbootloader: Custom version of boot.efi for Yosemite (and older) with universal EFI support. For booting Yosemite on 32-bit EFI Macs, such as the MacPro1,1 and 64-bit support too, this is in general a custom OS X boot.efi, also now support for building with Clover tools (GCC+binutils+latest nasm) or Xcode (needs mtoc and latest nasm), now also option for building installer packages and hackintosh specific version.

You've got a couple of precompiled copies of boot.efi. How do they each differ? BOOT_APPLE, BOOT_APPLE_HACK, BOOT_CLOVER, BOOT_CLOVER_HACK and BOOT_MS_UNIVERSAL.

I was having lots of problems compiling the stock cctools-862 (and 855 also had same issues) stuff from Apple's OpenSource website and found your post with the diff's above and patched what I had got from them and WHOOPPEEEEE - it finally built. Thanks so much for sharing. 

There must be something I'm not doing, as the Apple version of cctools-862 has such obvious errors with a simple "sudo make all" that I've got to be doing something wrong. But I've looked around and haven't found any clues yet. Surely Apple tries to at least compile what they post there, right?????

Any idea what the difference is between the "Xcode Command Line Tools" package on the Apple Developer website and the cctools that are on the OpenSource website?

Anyway, thanks again for the diff's - now if only I could run Yosemite on my MacPro1,1 system…but hopefully soon...

• Like 1

You've got a couple of precompiled copies of boot.efi. How do they each differ? BOOT_APPLE, BOOT_APPLE_HACK, BOOT_CLOVER, BOOT_CLOVER_HACK and BOOT_MS_UNIVERSAL.

One is compiled with Microsoft Visual Studio (BOOT_MS_UNIVERSAL).

One is compiled with Clover tools (BOOT_CLOVER, not working...)

One is compiled with Clang, Xcode (BOOT_APPLE).

The hackintosh versions have _HACK appended, they are minimal versions of the bootloader, not fully working yet on hackintoshes.

I was having lots of problems compiling the stock cctools-862 (and 855 also had same issues) stuff from Apple's OpenSource website and found your post with the diff's above and patched what I had got from them and WHOOPPEEEEE - it finally built. Thanks so much for sharing. 

There must be something I'm not doing, as the Apple version of cctools-862 has such obvious errors with a simple "sudo make all" that I've got to be doing something wrong. But I've looked around and haven't found any clues yet. Surely Apple tries to at least compile what they post there, right?????

Any idea what the difference is between the "Xcode Command Line Tools" package on the Apple Developer website and the cctools that are on the OpenSource website?

Anyway, thanks again for the diff's - now if only I could run Yosemite on my MacPro1,1 system…but hopefully soon...

Yosemite bootloader for MacPro EFI32:

https://github.com/andyvand/macosxbootloader

Have fun, it's updated and prebuilt, even including installer package ;)

• Like 1

Yosemite bootloader for MacPro EFI32:

https://github.com/andyvand/macosxbootloader

Have fun, it's updated and prebuilt, even including installer package ;)

Well I downloaded the stuff on your GitHub macosxbootloader page and ran the make file ("make all") and looks like it ran -- YIPPEEEEEE!!

Built 5 versions of the boot.efi file along with a macosxbootloader.pkg in the BOOT_APPLE folder - so the big question now is do I simply copy the boot.efi file and run "bless" command or do I install the "macosxbootloader.pkg" package? Will try it both ways and see how both work.

Am working on writing up everything and if everything works later tonight then should I send the writeup to Pike or to you?

Thanks again…wish me luck... 

Well I downloaded the stuff on your GitHub macosxbootloader page and ran the make file ("make all") and looks like it ran -- YIPPEEEEEE!!

Built 5 versions of the boot.efi file along with a macosxbootloader.pkg in the BOOT_APPLE folder - so the big question now is do I simply copy the boot.efi file and run "bless" command or do I install the "macosxbootloader.pkg" package? Will try it both ways and see how both work.

Am working on writing up everything and if everything works later tonight then should I send the writeup to Pike or to you?

Thanks again…wish me luck... 

You may notify him.

I already did ;)

Have fun :D

You may notify him.

I already did ;)

Have fun :D

Well I ran the installer pkg and it seems to have worked (partly?) -- it copied the boot.efi file into /System/Library/CoreServices but it didn't do the "bless" so at the moment there is no official blessed boot.efi (the inode of the boot.efi file needs to be saved away via the "bless" command). Perhaps this is something that might be done in the "install after steps" or whatever happens after a package is installed. Think that the original boot.efi file should be saved in case there are problems. Glad I made a copy before running the installer.

Perhaps the intent is for the person doing everything to use the "Startup Disk" System Preference to do the "blessing"? or to manually run the "bless" command to set everything up?

Anyway, I've done all this on a MacBook that is capable of running Yosemite out of the "box" from Apple, so will take the test Yosemite install and try it out on the MacPro1,1 system and see what happens. Will let you know tomorrow...

Thanks again...

Well, got the boot.efi installed onto a Yosemite 10.10.2 USB external disk and tried booting the MacPro1,1 system and it just hangs - even tried to boot into single user command line as I have a FX4500 and 7300GT graphics boards which I don't think will work very well or even at all in regular GUI mode with Yosemite, but thought they would be OK to boot up in single user mode just to see if the boot.efi worked.

Am gonna try Pike's clang GitHub branch and boot the boot.efi from it and see if any difference.

So now the question becomes how to debug whatever the problem is if neither one works? Any suggestions?

Thanks again...

Well, got the boot.efi installed onto a Yosemite 10.10.2 USB external disk and tried booting the MacPro1,1 system and it just hangs - even tried to boot into single user command line as I have a FX4500 and 7300GT graphics boards which I don't think will work very well or even at all in regular GUI mode with Yosemite, but thought they would be OK to boot up in single user mode just to see if the boot.efi worked.

Am gonna try Pike's clang GitHub branch and boot the boot.efi from it and see if any difference.

So now the question becomes how to debug whatever the problem is if neither one works? Any suggestions?

Thanks again...

Yes: one....

Did you build a 32-bit version or a 64-bit one

make ARCH=i386

builds 32-bit...

Thanks again...

7300GT graphics will work only in 10.7.5 - 32bits.

• Like 1

7300GT graphics will work only in 10.7.5 - 32bits.

Indeed.

Replace it with an 8000 series or newer.

Or use a supported ATI card.

No problem with my bootloader thus :D

I decided to update my AnyAppleUSBMouse.

This version matches interfaces to class, not device id.

It will still need an edit for the IOUSBDevice but it should work without modifications too (for use on install media).

Enjoy :D

AnyAppleUSBMouse.kext.zip

• Like 5

I've enhanced the AppleAPIC-13 sources with all of the functions as defined in AppleAPIC-17 (Yosemite).

The project is now fully finished.

Project page:

https://github.com/andyvand/AppleAPIC-AnV

Download is also attached below.

AppleAPIC-17.zip

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I started some work on porting the National Semiconductor IrDA port to Mac OS X.

In order to do this right I decompiled some of Microsoft's drivers related to IrDA.

The work is available here:

https://github.com/andyvand/msirda

The driver sources are also attached below...

Have fun ;)

EDIT: I have sent the ReactOS guys a link to this part of my Github repo...

msirda_src.zip

• Like 1

I decided to port ms-sys fully to Mac OS X.

Now you can make a USB installer / floppy disk / el-torito emulated floppy boot cd for DOS, Windows, Linux, etc...

Download:

https://github.com/andyvand/ms-sys

• Like 3

May be it will be interesting for you:

USB IrDA open source

AppleUSBIrDA-145.2.4            

Slice, look here:

https://github.com/andyvand/IOUSBFamily-630.4.5-AnV

This is my custom IOUSBFamily including buildable IrDA drivers.

Even the Finder .menu plugin can be built ;)