Office 2004 Crashes

suleiman

14 posts in this topic

Open Word, Excel, Powerpoint and right click (ctrl and click for those of you on a one-button mouse). Does the application crash? Yes. It does. It frustrates. It erases.

Why Microsoft? I just want to know why.

Well, no, I can have only one open.

I guess that means reinstall Office 2004? I read somewhere that I need to use the Remove Office tool to completely remove office. Has anyone tried that?

I just started up a new user and launched word and was able to right click.

I killed all the running processes and can't seem to figure out what is causing the office contextual menu's to cause a crash. Since it can't be something in the office folder, it must be something in the user's folder that is causing the crash. I'm thinking Adobe CS2 Acrobat could be the issue but I'm just not sure. I also tried removing Word from ShapeShifter's menu but still no juice.

Any ideas folks? I'm on the brink of just re-installing the whole shebang.

I just ran the maintenance scripts. I simply can't figure this one out. Office is such a cornerstone app that I'm actually considering backing up and doing a complete re-install.

This hard drive is busted and I want to take it to the apple store for repairs. My concern is whether I'll be able to keep the contents of the drive if they replace it or if it'll be a fresh animal to tame.

From the google support group for Microsoft Office 2004:

> Check your ~/Library/InputManagers folder. Alternately, check your

> ~/Library/Contextual Menu Items folder. By process of elimination you should

> be able to remove items from these folders to eliminate the crash when

> right-clicking in Office. My guess is that you have something installed in

> the InputManagers folder for your main account which is causing problems

> with Office.

Fixed! The problem was the PicturePropPro contextual menu plugin. It's

a shame to have to ditch it but I'm so happy to have fixed it.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem. The solution was to delete two files in /Library/Contextual Menu Items (this means the Library folder for all users in the top most level of your boot disk) that were installed by third party software. If in doubt remove all files from this folder.

• 5 weeks later...