How do I install a kext from Terminal?

7 posts in this topic

EDIT: I've managed to figure this out.

cd /Volumes/XXX/PATH TO FOLDER WHERE KEXT(S) ARE/    where XXX is the name of the volume in which the kexts are placed

cp -r XX.kext /volumes/XXX/System/Library/Extensions   WHERE XX is the name of the kext, and XXX is the name of your volume where the kexts need to be

NOTE: If your volume name contains any spaces use quotes 

EXAMPLE: /volumes/"Macintosh HD"/System/Library/Extensions

I've successfully installed iAtkos S3 V2 but, it boots to a blank screen, but I can hear the "Staying Alive" song so I know the installation is fine, but my graphics kext isn't installed, so, I have the kext file I need, but how can I install it without actually being into OS X? Can I do so through Terminal from the DVD? if so, what are the commands? The kext files is placed on my Windows partition.

• Like 1

There is a tool for this at Tonym..  ((okay, sorry, I was not aware of the TM problem before)). With it you can install Kext files and run System Utilities on to another volume than your startvolume.

Well, I have tried the Terminal approach, but I am not used to Terminal and so could not make it work.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I know this is a little late, but:

Boot her up and type " -v -f -F cpus=1 busratio=20 arch=i386" at the prompt. If it doesn't work, then come back and tell us, and I will go through my notes on this stuff and see what else we can do to freak out your computer for you. (Cheshire cat grin inserted here!)

• 7 months later...

Hi there,

I get a kernel-panic after updating OSX 10.6 on an aspire one zg5. It's just a guessing..but maybe it's the intel graphics somehow. So I thought I might take this alternative driver from here and install it in terminal but I just don't know how.

The last lines of kernel-panic read:

PFM64 0xfffffff10000001, 0xf0000000

[ PCI configuration begin ]

(Not sure with the numbers of diggits though)

So I googled around ("crash PFM64") and found something about graphics.

I tried all possible kernel-commands:

npci=0×2000

-x -v

GraphicsEnabler=No
IGPEnabler=Yes
darkwake=0

...but no success. Somebody please help.

Edit:

Here is a screenshot:

2qcotx0.jpg

I just reinstalled everything. Didn't know updating is not possible in one step. My problem now: There are dozens of tutorials howto update from 10.6.3 to 10.6.7/8 but I need update from 10.6 to 10.6.3 first....

How can I do that?