Conroe Mac Pro?

13 posts in this topic

I was snooping around some files after updating to 10.4.8 and noticed a new string in

/System/Library/SystemProfiler/SPPlatformReporter.spreporter/Contents/Resources/SPMachineTypes.plist

picture1ig4.png

MacPro is listed twice

MacPro1,1

PacPro1,1,Quad

I wonder if that means there is going to be another Mac Pro release without quad processing or just the upcoming Mac Pro with 2 x Core 2 Quadro.

i certinaly hope so, if they go with the Core 2 quad or Core 2 quad EX i will be getting a mac pro for sure ;)

ahh the things you could create and such great speed.... what a pipe dream lol

They run Woodcrest processors. And both Conroe and Woodrest use the same Core architecture. Woodcrest is just a server CPU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Xeon#Du...architecture.29

i was refering to the Core 2 family not the Woodcrest family of processors. if/when they put the Core 2 family in the mac pros it will be a great day.

i was refering to the Core 2 family not the Woodcrest family of processors. if/when they put the Core 2 family in the mac pros it will be a great day.

Woodcrest is just a codename.

The processors in the Mac Pro ARE Core2Duo architecture chips, packaged for a LGA771 socket. This socket is typically used in server motherboards. These boards require 4 channel FB-DIMM memory and are more expensive then desktop boards. They run at 1333 FSB.

What everyone here is hoping for is an Apple machine that uses a Core2Duo architecture chip, packaged for a LGA775 socket, which are normally used in desktop boards which use 2 channel DDR 667/800 memory. The codename for this chip was Conroe. Hopefully also running at a FSB speed of 1333.

EDIT: Sorry, Conroes run at 1066 FSB