Welcome to InsanelyMac Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  

Did anyone do this?

4 posts in this topic

Did anyone do a G5 mod placing the motherboard vertically? (and by that I mean having the openings in the bottom).

I'm considering such a mod currently.

You keep the exterior of the G5 unchanged (maybe except for the ports at the back that you could put an aluminum strip over maybe with USB 3.0).

It accommodates larger motherboards, mounting it this way means you should be able to squeeze even an E-ATX board in.

Power-supply on top, but without a cutout, will be using the existing cutout at the bottom and an internal cable to the PSU on top.

Drives in optical bay compartment.

The main problem I see with this is that will be hard to find room for intake fans but then again this way the CPU fan would sit almost at the front anyway.

Any thoughts?

I don't think that it is too hard to do this.  The problem is you would have to roll the machine over onto its side to manage the IO cabiling.   You have to do this with a G4 Cube hack and while very doable a G5 PM case would take up much more room.

Just a thought,

My only thought about it would be where will the PSU go? People who do G5 mods generally do one of two things - keep the PSU where it orginally was, or move it to where the HDD cage is located, forcing a move of the HDD cage to somewhere else. Keep that in mind if you decide do go that route. Look the the Project Prodigy mod here in this sub-forum for someone who has put a large form factor MB into a case that looks very much like a G5/MacPro case. He also tilted his so that the cables dont come out the back - could give you some ideas...

Everything is do-able. If you are going to go for a different orientation though, how about putting the ports at the top of the case? A number of newer cases do that. With some imagination and maybe a ventilated front to back cover running between the two handle loops it could be an elegant design. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By zzmadd
      I'm looking for a suggestion on a Ryzen motherboard in the mITX form factor that's most compatible with Hackintoshing High Sierra.
      - reliable multiple sleep / wake cycle must work without issues
      - USB2 and USB3 must be very reliable on peripherals and external discs
      - no kernel panics
      - M2 slot for Nvme drive
      - Wifi / Bluetooth on M2 PCI so to allow for swapping with original card
      otherwise with regret I'll have to switch to Intel..(
    • By YannisKrp
      What is the best Mini-ITX motherboard for my i5-4460 (replaceable Broadcom chip, if it's possible m.2)? I'm planning to make a Mini-ITX hackintosh inside a Streacom F1C. Is the F1C Evo taller than the F1C and is there any way i can fit a GPU inside it (PCIe raiser etc.)?
      Thanks in advance.
    • By Egonaut
      Haven't seen these in one spot yet, so here's what you'll need if you have this combination of components (A relatively popular one as it used to be featured on logicalincrements.com, but not anymore)

For booting into Clover, you'll need the FakeCPUID 0x0306A0. There's no other real, non-complicated way around this. You'll also need the iMac 13,2 SMBIOS (Ivy Bridge Model).
      Use XNU Power Management instead of AICPM, the boot flag for this is: -xcpm
      You'll also need some kexts, so go ahead and put these in your EFI folder
      Audio Chipset: Realtek ALC662 (VoodooHDA - Attached)
      LAN Chipset: Realtek 8111GR  (RealtekRTL8111.kext - Attached)
      NullCPUManagement.kext (Attached)
      OsxAptioFix2Drv-64 (Should be installed when you install Clover)
      BIOS on UEFI defaults, with CSM set to UEFI.

With all of this, you should get a working installation up in no time. The rest depends upon your GPU, etc. I went ahead and wrote this up in a couple of minutes just a quick reference, I'll probably add more to this though.
      Realtek ALC662 Audio Fix.zip
    • By jgperson
      Here is my build in its current form. I absolutely love this project as it has grown! All hackintosh install instructions were found at Ryzen Clover Installation Guide macOS Sierra - AMD - InsanelyMac Forum
      First thing to know is that two of these systems were built at the same time. One for my buddy to use for his YouTube channel (See the video here for the twin system https://youtu.be/rRW4c1FnRrE), and mine. He called me up with an idea, to build a water-cooled Ryzen hackintosh inside of an old PowerMac G5 case, and as soon as he said the idea I was hooked. I have always loved the PowerMac G5 because when it came out, I liked to edit photos and it was what I thought at the time was "The Ultimate Machine". So here are some pictures of how it came about. 
      I picked up two PowerMac G5s (both working mind you) in case I messed anything up on the first one. I did not so now I still have a working PowerMac G5. Lol.
      Starting off we have disassembly. Note that I don't have a lot of pictures of this progress as I have impulse control issues and wanted it apart ASAP. lol. This is a challenging computer to take apart but well worth doing as this case is amazing! The case I had was pretty beat up with scratches and stuff so I had to do a lot of sanding to get them out.

After disassembly, I took to a small test fit by placing an old mother board in the case to figure out where to cut out for IO in the rear of the case. A quick sharpie line and some dremel time were in order after that.

Following the IO I cut out the side panel for my piece of acrylic. Using the existing frame that holds on the door of the case, I marked 1/2" in from the inside edge of it and drilled holes in all the corners so they would be rounded. (remember that at this point you want to drill your holes with a 1/2" drill bit and make it so the outside of the bit matches up with your lines.) Then cut the acrylic sheet to fit the inside of the frame (not your cutout).
      From there you need to use a jigsaw to cut along your lines and connect your 4 holes that you drilled.

Then on to paint. I sanded all the pieces with an orbital sander then used a can of primer and did 3 coats of primer on them all. Followed up with a few coats of black. I added a coat of clear to just try to keep it a little more durable but I should have just done more coats of black. To finish off the case, run some edge moulding around the side panel cut out and attach your acrylic sheet to the side panel with double sided tape. Re install your side panel frame and you are good to go!

To mount the motherboard, I used the existing standoffs from the PowerMac G5 case (be careful here as there are two different heights of standoffs). Add in some JB weld on the base of them and a small coat around the outside of them it was ready to go. I used a GPU to line up where it goes in the case.

Now for the final assembly. I test fit a bunch of different hardware placements but what I ended up settling on was the PSU at the bottom mounted with double sided foam tape.  All of the cables were then run up the front side of the case along the motherboard mounting tray and grouped together using zip ties. It is also important to know at this point I bought a cable from Black CH mods to use the existing IO on the front of the case with an ATX motherboard. Radiator at the front with pump/res combo unit mounted to it using the EK uni bracket. I secured the radiator to the front with car grade double sided emblem tape. If you have ever used this stuff you know it is not going anywhere. I reused the existing hard drive cage from the case and secured it to the top also using emblem tape.

One of the most important steps in this process is the running of tubes (since it is watercooled and all). There are only 4 tubes in this build thanks to the plethora of fittings I have in the case. I don't know if I listed them all but any time you do a hardline watercooled build it is important to have a handful of rotary 90s and dual rotary 90s on hand. I tried to do it without them in my last version of this build using the NZXT H440 and couldn't get my tubing runs to look like I wanted.

Fill up the system, leak check, then hook up the power and you are good to go. I added in a RGB light strip and hooked it up to the ASUS aura sync header for a little bit more color. This process was a long time coming and took almost a month from idea phase to final assembly.

I spent a long time without a working home PC but man was it worth it! Thanks for reading!
    • By crazyeye1
      Hello guys, I just got a Power Mac G5 complete desktop and I would love to tear it down and install all new hardware and make the best hackintosh I could possibly create.
      I removed all the components and decided to keep the drive bay, bluetooth and wifi wires (maybe I'll toss them) and screws (why not!?)
      The only thing this case is missing is the side panel, its gone and was gone from when I found it, as well as the G5 heat sink cover (damnit!)
      Does anyone know where I could get a replacement cover or would I have to design and fabricate a cover from scratch? Any help is appreciated of course and I had no idea where to post this question considering all the main forums didn't quiet fit so I apologize in advanced.