[Incomplete guide] HP DV6-6047CL Mountain Lion 10.8.4

lightskreen

87 posts in this topic

Thanks for the tip(s) :D I want to get my head around DSDT patching. One thing I dont understand is why the {censored} do errors come up on a DSDT that has already been successfully compiled. i'll try using Maciasl.

occasionally that happens, like with mine whenever i open the aml version of it, it always gets an error at line 37 where TNOT should be NOT. It's funky stuff man

• Like 1

Hows your battery life btw lightskreen? Has it been affected in any way? It might not be a wonky battery meter anymore as from a full charge I am actually getting 4 hours on hd3000 under Windows when I would usually get double, and 3 hours under OSX after rebooting. Could it be the bios? I haven't changed a single thing on my computer except that. The only reason I flashed custom bios in the first place is to increase battery life... Still great work Donovan though :)

Hows your battery life btw lightskreen? Has it been affected in any way? It might not be a wonky battery meter anymore as from a full charge I am actually getting 4 hours on hd3000 under Windows when I would usually get double, and 3 hours under OSX after rebooting. Could it be the bios? I haven't changed a single thing on my computer except that. The only reason I flashed custom bios in the first place is to increase battery life... Still great work Donovan though :)

Hmmmmmm, my battery life is at 8-9 hours on a 12 cell battery. Laptop's with our specs are real power suckers. Try it with all 4 cores enabled, special graphics off, HT off, and fan always off. Those are the bios settings I use.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Updated to 10.8.5 through App Store, get KP on AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement... isn't the vanilla kext supposed to work now??

Is it because I didnt use combo updater? Although i did that with 10.8.4 went perfectly

It's probably the app store thing, also I don't have a working patched applehda.kext yet. I'm working on mavericks now, the battery life increases are so incredible that I would rather just update straight to that. The AICPUPM.kext thing shouldn't be necessary, I don't use it anymore for mountain lion or mavericks. Although, I believe the version of the kext was updated.

Updated to 10.8.5 through App Store, get KP on AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement... isn't the vanilla kext supposed to work now??

Is it because I didnt use combo updater? Although i did that with 10.8.4 went perfectly

If you updated, you also need to redo the lapic kernel patch as every new update for OS X has a new kernel with it. Just try booting with cpus=1, if that doesn't work, o into your installer as per usual and open the terminal and copy nullcpupowermanagement from the flash drive to your install and then boot with cpus=1 and then use the patcher and repair the permissions with:

sudo chown root:wheel /mach_kernel

sudo chmod 644 /mach_kernel

Delete nullcpupowermanagement and then repair permissions on your S/L/E and then reboot as usual! This is a common thing that I need to do after every update or install because of the lapic kernel that's required.

Hi there.  I own a dv6t-6100 with almost the same specs as you(1080 screen).  I have a desktop hackintosh setup already but have been meaning to do the same for my laptop.  I've been doing lots of googling and wanted to know if you think your guide be a good fit for me or would I be better off using rehabman's probook guide?  Is it safe to flash the bios you have in your zip file? I intend on dual booting as well.  Also do you have any other nuggets of information you might be able to pass along to a newbie like me? 

Hi there.  I own a dv6t-6100 with almost the same specs as you(1080 screen).  I have a desktop hackintosh setup already but have been meaning to do the same for my laptop.  I've been doing lots of googling and wanted to know if you think your guide be a good fit for me or would I be better off using rehabman's probook guide?  Is it safe to flash the bios you have in your zip file? I intend on dual booting as well.  Also do you have any other nuggets of information you might be able to pass along to a newbie like me? 

Hi there wumbo6. I'll start with the bios thing just to make sure you understand the risk behind it, you should really find out what EXACT bios version you should use for this. If it is the same then make sure you learn a proper method of recovery and then try to flash the bios that donovan whipped up. My current bios version is F.1B. As for the rest, you might need to create your own DSDT and acquire some different kernel extensions than me. Also, that Intel wifi card is NOT compatible with any version of OS X and after you get a proper bios mod (With a removed wifi whitelist) you should buy a card that has OS X compatibility. I have an Atheros AR928x and it works out of the box, but there are many other wifi cards that work as well. If you're trackpad happens to be a synaptic multitouch trackpad then you can most likely be comfortable using rehabman's voodoops2 kext. And I know for sure you will need a dual link patch for your DSDT once you get around to all that.

Just remember that hackintoshing is an experiment and a lot of it is trial and error. Some people have more compatible machines than others for no reason at all so don't expect everything to work perfectly. (Like the AMD Radeon 6770m which WILL NOT work. I'm looking into it, though because the macbook pros with my smbios have that card in them.) Feel free to ask any questions and I + many others will be happy to help.

Another side note, I was planning on updating the tutorial again soon with all the new stuff I use so hold up a sec on using EVERYTHING in the zip. The bios mod it contains is kind of old and a lot of the kexts aren't updated to latest.

Happy hacking!

And I was curious and looked up your bios version and it seems to be the same, just proceed with caution as always. I think page 3 has Donovan's F.1B bios mod that fixes a ton of stuff and has a lot of working advanced features (as well as a whitelist). Tell me how it goes :)

Hi lightskreeen. Thank you very much for your response! I plan to give this a shot over the weekend.  I tried installing iatkos ml2 but got the "[iOBluetoothHCIController][start] -- completed" error after installing upon first boot.  Do you happen know what the difference is between the HP Probook 4530s that rehabman's guide is based off of and the HP dv6t-61xx are? Would I have a better probability with his guide or would I be fine using your tutorial?  I'm planning to order the same Atheros wifi card this weekend. Thanks again!

Hi lightskreeen. Thank you very much for your response! I plan to give this a shot over the weekend.  I tried installing iatkos ml2 but got the "[iOBluetoothHCIController][start] -- completed" error after installing upon first boot.  Do you happen know what the difference is between the HP Probook 4530s that rehabman's guide is based off of and the HP dv6t-61xx are? Would I have a better probability with his guide or would I be fine using your tutorial?  I'm planning to order the same Atheros wifi card this weekend. Thanks again!

That's just it, it's for the probook and not necessarily for the dv6 series. I've personally never been a fan of the iAtkos method, if you want something done right you gotta do it yourself. My favorite method is to restore basesystem.dmg to a flash drive with gpt and hfs+ and then replace the packages symlink with the packages from the installESD. After that, you just install chameleon and create a basic org.chameleon.boot.plist file and an smbios that matches your build. Download NCPUPM.kext and FakeSMC.kext and put it in S/L/E and it will no doubtedly be as vanilla as possible. You'll need to copy those two kexts to the install on first boot as well. There's plenty of tutorials on youtube and elsewhere on how to create a mountain lion installer without guided utilities.

That's just it, it's for the probook and not necessarily for the dv6 series. I've personally never been a fan of the iAtkos method, if you want something done right you gotta do it yourself. My favorite method is to restore basesystem.dmg to a flash drive with gpt and hfs+ and then replace the packages symlink with the packages from the installESD. After that, you just install chameleon and create a basic org.chameleon.boot.plist file and an smbios that matches your build. Download NCPUPM.kext and FakeSMC.kext and put it in S/L/E and it will no doubtedly be as vanilla as possible. You'll need to copy those two kexts to the install on first boot as well. There's plenty of tutorials on youtube and elsewhere on how to create a mountain lion installer without guided utilities.

You have forgotten to tell, that it is not a bad idea for having working keyboad and touchpad to install the in the install for it later used kext or kexts to the installer and copy them over with fakesmc and nullcpupowermanagement to the install. After that please do not forget to repair permissions. This can be easy done with Diskutility.

Have fun.

You have forgotten to tell, that it is not a bad idea for having working keyboad and touchpad to install the in the install for it later used kext or kexts to the installer and copy them over with fakesmc and nullcpupowermanagement to the install. After that please do not forget to repair permissions. This can be easy done with Diskutility.

Have fun.

Good point, I thought the keyboard portion of that was a given considering almost all laptop keyboards in PC's (Especially HP ones) are PS2 which has no native support in newer OS X versions. :P

Oh god... its bad. Really bad. I tried flashing it earlier today with Donovan's bios but froze completely about 5 seconds in.  Nothing responded mouse keyboard etc.  I left it on for about 6 hours to make sure it wasnt just thinking.  I eventually gave up and powered it down.  Even the power button didnt respond, I had to remove the battery and unplug.  Now i've bricked my laptop.  It turns on but the screen is completely off and the caps lock light blinks twice indicating a corrupt bios.  I'm trying to follow HP's directions for restoring the BIOS but am not really getting anywhere.  I've created a HP_Tools USB drive and loaded the BIOS .exe file from the website.  When I boot with ctrl+b the USB drive's light flashes a few times and the caps lock starts blinking again and then nothing.  If anyone has some advice they could give me I would really appreciate it.  I'm really freakin out over here.  

Oh god... its bad. Really bad. I tried flashing it earlier today with Donovan's bios but froze completely about 5 seconds in.  Nothing responded mouse keyboard etc.  I left it on for about 6 hours to make sure it wasnt just thinking.  I eventually gave up and powered it down.  Even the power button didnt respond, I had to remove the battery and unplug.  Now i've bricked my laptop.  It turns on but the screen is completely off and the caps lock light blinks twice indicating a corrupt bios.  I'm trying to follow HP's directions for restoring the BIOS but am not really getting anywhere.  I've created a HP_Tools USB drive and loaded the BIOS .exe file from the website.  When I boot with ctrl+b the USB drive's light flashes a few times and the caps lock starts blinking again and then nothing.  If anyone has some advice they could give me I would really appreciate it.  I'm really freakin out over here.  

http://donovan6000.blogspot.com/2013/06/insyde-bios-modding-hp-brick-recovery.html

This is Donovan6000's way of explaining the recovery. I literally got a motherboard replacement because it wouldn't work. You should also try cmos resetting which is a matter of removing all power sources, removing the cmos battery for 5 seconds and then putting it back in and rebooting. Also, you don't put the exe file on the HP_TOOLS flash drive, you put the bin and sig files that you extract with the tool in donovan's tutorial. HP doesnt explain these things well enough. 

Motherboard replacement is a LAST RESORT mind you. It can cost anywhere from 80-300 dollars and its a lot of hassle. Just try Cmos resetting -> HP_TOOLS recovery -> Motherboard replacement in order.

This was my comment on Donovan's page

Hi Donovan. I bricked my DV6t-6100 trying to flash a new BIOS and am in some serious trouble. I have tried your method, following your instructions to a T but cannot get the BIOS recovery screen to appear. I formatted a 128mb flash drive with the HP UEFI utility, downloaded the BIOS file, used andy's tool to generate the .SIG and .BIN.DEC files, renamed them to the correct name (01658.SIG and 01658.BIN), copied them to the /current folder on the USB and booted with win+b. After about 15 sec. the activity light on my flash drive flashes for about 50 sec. then only the caps lock light just starts blinking again(2 times then pause). Could you please tell me if there is anything else I can try? The screen is off(not blank/powered on) 
Thank You!

This was my comment on Donovan's page

Hi Donovan. I bricked my DV6t-6100 trying to flash a new BIOS and am in some serious trouble. I have tried your method, following your instructions to a T but cannot get the BIOS recovery screen to appear. I formatted a 128mb flash drive with the HP UEFI utility, downloaded the BIOS file, used andy's tool to generate the .SIG and .BIN.DEC files, renamed them to the correct name (01658.SIG and 01658.BIN), copied them to the /current folder on the USB and booted with win+b. After about 15 sec. the activity light on my flash drive flashes for about 50 sec. then only the caps lock light just starts blinking again(2 times then pause). Could you please tell me if there is anything else I can try? The screen is off(not blank/powered on) 

Thank You!

He's on the insanelymac forums (As you may have noticed) so he might give you help here. Otherwise you should try different USB ports and other stuff. If all this fails I can help you find a good deal an a motherboard. :P

Hey, I totally forgot that I moddified these bios with a different sha-1 hash for cryptRSA.efi so that it could launch an efi shell. This is probably what's preventing the recovery from happening because if can't verify the intrgrity of cryprRSA.efi before pasing control to it. So you need to replace the CryptRSA.efi file with the one I uploaded here. So replace the existing one in the BiosUpdate folder on the flash drive. It might be some different folder, but I don't have my flash drive on me to confirm the exact location.

Then when you try to recover, it will start an efi shell. So launch HpBiosUpdate.efi from it and it should start recovering.

@lightskreen Also sorry for forgetting about the modified sha-1 hash. It's probably dangerous to keep this bios around, so I'll reupload a different one with the expected sha-1 when I get some free time. This probably would have saved you from having to buy a new motherboard :(

And thanks for puttng a link to my blog in your signature. Really appreciate it :D

Hey, I totally forgot that I moddified these bios with a different sha-1 hash for cryptRSA.efi so that it could launch an efi shell. This is probably what's preventing the recovery from happening because if can't verify the intrgrity of cryprRSA.efi before pasing control to it. So you need to replace the CryptRSA.efi file with the one I uploaded here. So replace the existing one in the BiosUpdate folder on the flash drive. It might be some different folder, but I don't have my flash drive on me to confirm the exact location.

Then when you try to recover, it will start an efi shell. So launch HpBiosUpdate.efi from it and it should start recovering.

@lightskreen Also sorry for forgetting about the modified sha-1 hash. It's probably dangerous to keep this bios around, so I'll reupload a different one with the expected sha-1 when I get some free time. This probably would have saved you from having to buy a new motherboard :(

And thanks for puttng a link to my blog in your signature. Really appreciate it :D

Darn! I already ordered a new motherboard as well! I tried your files and now this is what happens

- it reads for a little longer from the flash drive

-the screen comes on for a couple seconds with a flashing "_"

-computer resets 

-loops same process

at least now once the flash drive is read the caps lock never comes on.

Do you think you could tell me what the flash drive should look like?  I currently formatted w/ the HP UEFI Softpaq, downloaded bios from hp site for my lappy.  Used Andy's tool to decrypt.  Renamed both files (01658.bin/01658.SIG) copied into current and new in bios folder. copied your version of cryptRSA.efi to BIOSupdate and SystemDiags folder.  

Thanks!

Oh jeez, that's probably why I couldn't recover mine either :P hahaha

Bluetooth isn't working anymore in 10.8.5, getting lots of Bluetooth related errors in verbose mode. Any idea? Thanks

Sadly, I don't have bluetooth so I can't tell you what's happening :/ And I've been running Mavericks GM since yesterday. Although, I get weird bluetooth errors in verbose mode all the time even though I don't have it. :P

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Helloo again, I just got on Mavericks GM. What kexts do you use for audio and battery ? Meter is wonky with voodoobattery and stock AppleHDA doesn't work even though in verbose mode I can see it saying sound insertion etc etc. Somehow bluetooth fixed itself :D.

Thanks