[Incomplete guide] HP DV6-6047CL Mountain Lion 10.8.4

lightskreen

87 posts in this topic

Got some free time today to check it out. Nothing too difficult.

So I unlocked the Advanced and Power tabs. There was also an additional Main tab, but it was kind of boring so I left it hidden :P

Removed the wifi whitelist check.

Also removed the lock on the register that mac uses to store c-state info. Now you don't need a patched AppleIntelCpuPowerManagement.kext anymore :thumbsup_anim:

Be aware that there is always some risk involved when flashing bios. It is entirely your decision if you want to try it. You can get it here. Just run InsydeFlash.exe to flash it :D

YOU ARE THE {censored}. THANK YOU DUDE. FLASHING NOW.

• Like 2

Got some free time today to check it out. Nothing too difficult.

So I unlocked the Advanced and Power tabs. There was also an additional Main tab, but it was kind of boring so I left it hidden :P

Removed the wifi whitelist check.

Also removed the lock on the register that mac uses to store c-state info. Now you don't need a patched AppleIntelCpuPowerManagement.kext anymore :thumbsup_anim:

Be aware that there is always some risk involved when flashing bios. It is entirely your decision if you want to try it. You can get it here. Just run InsydeFlash.exe to flash it :D

So I flashed it and I'm thoroughly impressed. I'm able to disable HT too which is something I have wanted and didn' think was possible! but, my laptop seems to lose it's ability to use a wifi card when I flash your bios. The switch on the function keys doesnt work for it and not even the stock wifi card seems to work. Any clue? I reflashed the old current one but I would really like to use yours because I really could care less about hyperthreading and I want my mac to have amazing battery life :D Thank you so much again for making this all possible, hopefully that whole efi booting stuff comes next ahaha ;)

OMG DONOVAN YOU ARE {censored} AWESOME!!! I flashed your bios and in the first try i can easily disable 6770m without any cmos resets or problems!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DONOVAN YOU ARE A BOSS. I swear man you just made my day like holy {censored} I would donate the {censored} out of you but I dont have any money cause I'm just a kid. But still I will do whatever I can to get your name and your blog out there. once again THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm getting 4 hours battery life on 52% charge on my 12 cell with vanilla appleintel kext and 6770m off...which means approximately 8hours when fully charged! Thank you again so much Donovan :D this bios you made in one day is more stable and functional than any other custom bios for our dv6 6xxx. AmazinG!

BTW Lightskreen update the guide to use Donovan's bios :)

Also, I don't think I'm going to update the guide with Donovan's bios until my wifi actually works. I'm going to try forcing the key to enable in linux but if that doesn't work then it has to be something to do with the bios. STILL INCREDIBLE WORK. I WILL DONATE IF YOU POINT ME WHERE TO DONATE DONOVAN. :D

• Like 1

Yess bro I can confirm that WiFi and Bluetooth is not working after flashing Donovan's bios but I am going to stay on it anyways. While I would like to still be able to use bluetooth/internal wifi its fine if I can't as I have a usb mini WiFi dongle anyways. Hyperthreading disabled gives better battery life? I will check this out. Thanks for the tip!

EDIT: Disabled HT and 6770m and set cores to 2 but battery displays 3:32 Remaining at 83%.
Wonky battery meter or does it actually not help :C

• Like 1

Yess bro I can confirm that WiFi and Bluetooth is not working after flashing Donovan's bios but I am going to stay on it anyways. While I would like to still be able to use bluetooth/internal wifi its fine if I can't as I have a usb mini WiFi dongle anyways. Hyperthreading disabled gives better battery life? I will check this out. Thanks for the tip!

I have one too and that works for now, but I really would like the internal wifi to work before I put it in my tutorial. :P Also, Hyperthreading doesn't really change the battery life. It's more of a performance thing. Most applications can't utilize more than 4 threads but with hyperthreading on you have 8 (Splits the cores and splits their clock speeds) which is meant to be better for multitasking but for single application performance and single thread performance this is bad. I like emulating games and stuff so this is a detriment to me and I was hoping I could disable it when I got the laptop, which was apparently not the case.

It's up to you whether you want to keep it or not :P

• Like 1

EDIT: Disabled HT and 6770m and set cores to 2 but battery displays 3:32 Remaining at 83%.

Wonky battery meter or does it actually not help :C

That might just be a wonky battery meter. Mines always all over the place but it eventually gives me a decent reading. :P Try looking at the readings in windows

• Like 1

So I flashed it and I'm thoroughly impressed. I'm able to disable HT too which is something I have wanted and didn' think was possible! but, my laptop seems to lose it's ability to use a wifi card when I flash your bios. The switch on the function keys doesnt work for it and not even the stock wifi card seems to work. Any clue? I reflashed the old current one but I would really like to use yours because I really could care less about hyperthreading and I want my mac to have amazing battery life :D Thank you so much again for making this all possible, hopefully that whole efi booting stuff comes next ahaha ;)

Also, I don't think I'm going to update the guide with Donovan's bios until my wifi actually works. I'm going to try forcing the key to enable in linux but if that doesn't work then it has to be something to do with the bios. STILL INCREDIBLE WORK. I WILL DONATE IF YOU POINT ME WHERE TO DONATE DONOVAN. :D

I'll try to fix the whitelist sometime today. Sorry for the inconvience. It would save me a little bit of time if one of you were to upload a backup of your bios when having Camiloml's version installed.

I'll also add in the efi booting that i've been working on. There's a few problems with it on my laptop through. Like the boot manager isn't display all the Bootxxxx global variables. So even though I have an entry for Windows Boot Manager, it won't be displayed in the boot manager. So it won't automatically boot into the OS, I have to manually launch it through an efi shell everytime which gets annoying. Also there were a few graphical glitches I noticed when Windows 8 was starting up. Clearly Insyde didn't program my bios to fit all the efi standards. In the end I switched back to legacy and MBR...  :(

This might not be the case with other laptops though so I'll let you guys try it out. And my donation page is here  ;)

• Like 1

I'll try to fix the whitelist sometime today. Sorry for the inconvience. It would save me a little bit of time if one of you were to upload a backup of your bios when having Camiloml's version installed.

I'll also add in the efi booting that i've been working on. There's a few problems with it on my laptop through. Like the boot manager isn't display all the Bootxxxx global variables. So even though I have an entry for Windows Boot Manager, it won't be displayed in the boot manager. So it won't automatically boot into the OS, I have to manually launch it through an efi shell everytime which gets annoying. Also there were a few graphical glitches I noticed when Windows 8 was starting up. Clearly Insyde didn't program my bios to fit all the efi standards. In the end I switched back to legacy and MBR...  :(

This might not be the case with other laptops though so I'll let you guys try it out. And my donation page is here  ;)

Thank you so so so much dude. I would love to be one of the first to test the efi booting. It's fairly easy for me because I have an ssd and a hard drive where i keep my user accounts and data on the second hard drive in seperate partitions and the OS's all on the ssd. I'll give you feedback on how it goes. ;) And camiloml's bios is actually in the zip file of the tutorial, you just open it and then extract the sp54024.exe file and it's in there as 01658.bin. It would be nice to use the latest bios though. :)

And when I get my next paycheck I'll give you a nice donation for all of your time. ;)

Once again, thank you so much for helping me make my laptop complete!

For some reason it's not possible to extract the modules from most of camiloml's bios. I'm not sure if it was just because of the unpolished tools he was using or if he intentionally corrupted them so that others wouldn't learn from his work. I guess I can't see how he implemented the whitelist for those bios  :P

Anyhow, I've figured it out on my own. Get it here  :thumbsup_anim:

Also added in the efi booting. To use it, you need to replace my CryptRSA.efi file over HP_TOOLS:/Hewlett-Packard/SystemDiags/CryptRSA.efi

This partition comes preinstalled when you buy an HP computer. But if you've deleted it, then you can installed it using this HP tool. I'd recommend putting it on a fat32 flashdrive just to test this. After it's done, make sure the partition is named HP_TOOLS otherwise it wont work. You can replace the CryptRSA.efi file now. To launch the efi file, press the key that corresponds to running the system diagnostics tools when your computers starting up, mines F2. If everything goes right, then you'll be in a efi shell now and you can launch other efi applications from it :D

• Like 2

For some reason it's not possible to extract the modules from most of camiloml's bios. I'm not sure if it was just because of the unpolished tools he was using or if he intentionally corrupted them so that others wouldn't learn from his work. I guess I can't see how he implemented the whitelist for those bios  :P

Anyhow, I've figured it out on my own. Get it here  :thumbsup_anim:

Also added in the efi booting. To use it, you need to replace my CryptRSA.efi file over HP_TOOLS:/Hewlett-Packard/SystemDiags/CryptRSA.efi

This partition comes preinstalled when you buy an HP computer. But if you've deleted it, then you can installed it using this HP tool. I'd recommend putting it on a fat32 flashdrive just to test this. After it's done, make sure the partition is named HP_TOOLS otherwise it wont work. You can replace the CryptRSA.efi file now. To launch the efi file, press the key that corresponds to running the system diagnostics tools when your computers starting up, mines F2. If everything goes right, then you'll be in a efi shell now and you can launch other efi applications from it :D

Everything works flawlessly for the bios flashing. Works as before but now with wifi. :D I'll be writing a fresh DSDT off of this bios within the next week here and updating the tutorial with your fantastically well done bios modification. :)

And, I think if the efi boot works out well I'll also make a guide on doing it all in efi. I've always wanted to give clover bootloader a try. :P A few questions about the efi booting.

I'm supposed to follow the tutorial on your blog for creating the HP_TOOLS flash drive and then copying over the cryptrsa file to the directory you mentioned, and then I just hit the proper key for it on boot and it drops me into an efi shell? Is it like a command line type thing? And how would I go about booting something with this? Thanks for all the help :D

• Like 1

Glad everythings working!  ^_^

Did you test it to see if the native AppleIntelCpuPowerMenegement.kext works now?

Yep that's all you have to do. Sorry if I made it sound kind of complicated. You could probably get away with just naming a fat32 flashdrive to HP_TOOLS and moving that file into that directory. Under normally circumstances CryptRSA.efi is used to verify SystemDiags.efi before passing control to it. This is how HP runs it's EFI Diagnostics Tool. So all I did was change CryptRSA.efi to an efi shell so that is gets loaded instead. There was some verification in the bios that I had to change too  :P  

So to launch clover just put its efi executable on the flashdrive and in the efi shell run something like:

fs0:\directoryToClover\clover.efi

You can open all the different partitions that it mounts with fsX: where X is the drive number. It only has the modules to support mounting fat32 partitions, so you wont be able to use your HFS+ or NTFS with it. You can view whats in the current directory with the ls command, thats an LS lowercase. You can browse into a specific folder with the cd command. You can launch a file in the currently viewed directory by just typing it's name. It's all standard shell stuff  :lol:

Glad everythings working!  ^_^

Did you test it to see if the native AppleIntelCpuPowerMenegement.kext works now?

Yep that's all you have to do. Sorry if I made it sound kind of complicated. You could probably get away with just naming a fat32 flashdrive to HP_TOOLS and moving that file into that directory. Under normally circumstances CryptRSA.efi is used to verify SystemDiags.efi before passing control to it. This is how HP runs it's EFI Diagnostics Tool. So all I did was change CryptRSA.efi to an efi shell so that is gets loaded instead. There was some verification in the bios that I had to change too  :P  

So to launch clover just put its efi executable on the flashdrive and in the efi shell run something like:

fs0:\directoryToClover\clover.efi

You can open all the different partitions that it mounts with fsX: where X is the drive number. It only has the modules to support mounting fat32 partitions, so you wont be able to use your HFS+ or NTFS with it. You can view whats in the current directory with the ls command, thats an LS lowercase. You can browse into a specific folder with the cd command. You can launch a file in the currently viewed directory by just typing it's name. It's all standard shell stuff  :lol:

I sorta guessed, but I'm not entirely familiar with efi so I had to ask :P Also, I've been having some issues with the brightness keys again. I tried re-applying the acpi-controlled brightness keys patch plus loaded the kext for it and everything but I don't get any brightness controls which is kinda weird because it was exactly the same as the one from the previous one. Would you mind taking a look at it? I'm kinda stumped on this one. :P Otherwise this attachment is the new (almost finished) DSDT I'm cookin up so if AeroXLR would like to try it out then that would be fantastic.

Side note: When you try to compile it, it will most likely give you the TNOT error. Just change TNOT to NOT and it'll compile fine. :)

DSDT.aml.zip

Try adding a check for Darwin in the OS detection section. It's under scope _SB.PCI0 | Method _INI. You'll see other similar entries so it's easy to spot:

If (_OSI ("Darwin"))
{
    Store (0x07D6, OSYS)
}

There might be a check for the OS that handles the backlight differently. So this will fix that.

Also try seeing if making Device WMID | Method CSTA return 0x0F fixes this. So change it's last line from Return (Local0) to Return (0x0F)

Also does your WMID device show that _STA is returning 0x0F in IORegisteryExplorer?

23616v.jpg

If it says anything other than 0x0f then IOWMIFamily won't work, so you'll have to locate where in your DSDT that specific _STA is and make it return 0x0F.

There's a link for IORegisteryExplorer in the last sentence of my blog tutorial here.

Try adding a check for Darwin in the OS detection section. It's under scope _SB.PCI0 | Method _INI. You'll see other similar entries so it's easy to spot:

If (_OSI ("Darwin"))
{
    Store (0x07D6, OSYS)
}

There might be a check for the OS that handles the backlight differently. So this will fix that.

Also try seeing if making Device WMID | Method CSTA return 0x0F fixes this. So change it's last line from Return (Local0) to Return (0x0F)

Also does your WMID device show that _STA is returning 0x0F in IORegisteryExplorer?

23616v.jpg

If it says anything other than 0x0f then IOWMIFamily won't work, so you'll have to locate where in your DSDT that specific _STA is and make it return 0x0F.

There's a link for IORegisteryExplorer in the last sentence of my blog tutorial here.

t0qbr2b.png

Seems correct to me. And I tried both changes and neither of them seem to have any effect. :/ Maybe the keys changed? Idk why they would, though. :P

Everything looks right. I think it's a compiler that creates the DSDT and not a real person, and compilers are known to preform some very strange optimizations. It might have changed the keys just because it wanted to  :P

If you can't get it working then I can just mod the F.1A bios since we know the backlight works fine with that one  ;)

Everything looks right. I think it's a compiler that creates the DSDT and not a real person, and compilers are known to preform some very strange optimizations. It might have changed the keys just because it wanted to  :P

If you can't get it working then I can just mod the F.1A bios since we know the backlight works fine with that one  ;)

I should've known that. haha :P I'll probably test all the other buttons and just look for the ones that are linked to the graphics card which is what I did last time. :P Modding the F.1A bios would be a nice fallback. :)

I'll get back to you on whether or not I get this working completely. I'll probably figure it out within an hour or two. :D

Uhh IDK about your DSDT but the one I have is working perfectly fine with the new BIOS and brightness is fine too. Also i'm using vanilla appleintelcpupowermanagement its working perfectly :). I remember I got my DSDT from another guy who has same laptop. And the internal wifi and bluetooth working perfect again now :D great job donovan

EDIT: Would changing the Dynamic/Fixed Muxed/Muxless schemes under Video Configuration help with Switchable Graphics? I know appleworm got the 6770m and HD3000 to display and be recognized under GFXCardStatus

EDIT2: Don't know whats happened but reported battery life is horrible suddenly...i'm getting 4 hours on a fully charged battery when I would usually get around 8 in Windows or OSX. Maybe the battery meter is wonky again Lol  Back to normal was a wonky meter for sure

Uhh IDK about your DSDT but the one I have is working perfectly fine with the new BIOS and brightness is fine too. Also i'm using vanilla appleintelcpupowermanagement its working perfectly :). I remember I got my DSDT from another guy who has same laptop. And the internal wifi and bluetooth working perfect again now :D great job donovan

EDIT: Would changing the Dynamic/Fixed Muxed/Muxless schemes under Video Configuration help with Switchable Graphics? I know appleworm got the 6770m and HD3000 to display and be recognized under GFXCardStatus

EDIT2: Don't know whats happened but reported battery life is horrible suddenly...i'm getting 4 hours on a fully charged battery when I would usually get around 8 in Windows or OSX. Maybe the battery meter is wonky again Lol

True, I'm dumb. DSDT is device specific so yeah. :P Also, I'm going to experiment with that setting. I think that might be the key to all this switching stuff. I wonder if anybody knows the exact configuration for a 2011-2012 macbook pro with switchable graphics. :P I might try applying that DSDT edit he posted in his thread.

• Like 1

I would hope that setting gets us somewhere. I'm going to try Dynamic under windows and see what happens as my DV6 is originally Fixed only Lool. Also WTF is "Fixed and Dynamic" setting? Theres Fixed, Dynamic then "Fixed And Dynamic"...Dafuq?

I would hope that setting gets us somewhere. I'm going to try Dynamic under windows and see what happens as my DV6 is originally Fixed only Lool. Also WTF is "Fixed and Dynamic" setting? Theres Fixed, Dynamic then "Fixed And Dynamic"...Dafuq?

Fixed and dynamic is how i have my laptop setup right now, it allows you to change that with catalyst control center which I think is how it should be.

How is it different from Fixed setting which lets you manually change GPU's? Also did you try injecting Appleworm's code? I'm to dumb to know how to inject to my dsdt hahah

It allows catalyst control center to change between fixed and dynamic. Dynamic being when an application calls for the dGPU and Fixed being manually switching allows you to just switch the whole desktop to iGPU or dGPU. I think it's better, the software in the OS should handle that sort of setting. :P

I think the Muxed setting might be the key. I wouldn't suggest fiddling with it though because it's a very finicky setting. Caused my laptop to get black screen syndrome. :P hahaha

I also haven't injected the code yet, it's not all that hard. You just gotta kinda look at other people's similar fixed dsdts and see how they relate to yours and copy and paste.

• Like 1

Oh thats pretty cool. I hope my custom Leshcat drivers will support it though. Are you using stock HP switchable graphic drivers or...?

Leshcat's supports it. Leshcat's driver is pretty much the same as any other amd driver except that he implements bugfixes that amd fail to do. I use them occasionally too but right now I'm using the latest beta of the amd supplied driver.

Also, if you're interested in learning more about dsdt editing, this page helped me out a lot, basically has a list of all the common dsdt patches and what their for:

http://olarila.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=634

I would use maciasl instead though because I prefer it and I like the way it's laid out. But there are lots of dsdt editors/patchers out there it seems.

• Like 1