boot0/GPT error, "boot1h" fix did not work

18 posts in this topic

Hello.

After a long time, I decided to dive in to Hackintoshes again.

Today, I successfully installed iAtkos ML2 on my HP HPE170f desktop. Everything works great, it's incredibly smooth, and has been a lot of fun to use.

After installing, I updated to 10.8.3 using the built-in updater (after seeing someone else have success with it). It worked a treat for me.

I didn't realize though until an hour ago that I was still booting off the iAtkos USB I made, so I decided to remove it, received a one-line error "boot0:error".

I Googled, and found the guide that you will most likely tell me to try; the one where you pull out the boot1h file out of the Chameleon or Chimera pkg, drop it on a second USB, reboot into the installer, unmount, dd= , the whole shebang. Each time I do it, it tells me it has successfully copied.

The error has now changed slightly, instead of just one line telling me boot0 error, there are also a few lines that say "GPT". But it will always stop there.

Things to note:

• Before messing with the boot1h fix, I attempted to manually install Chimera (once through the tool that as I understand is not acceptable to mention around here, and once through the standalone installer)
  • After getting frustrated with the repeated error, I also tried to directly install Chameleon.
  • I made sure the USB that I stored the boot1h file on was formatted to HFS+
  • The boot1h file was placed at the root of the USB stick.
  • I have a 1TB Hitachi drive. I have no idea what the current sector size is (or how to tell).

This is quite literally the only slight stumbling block on my way to Hackintosh perfection. I am very, very pleased at the way it's running, and to be honest, this isn't really a huge problem, but it is an annoyance that any time I restart or turn on (not that I do often) that I need to have the USB installer present.

If any more information is needed, please let me know. I feel that I have covered everything thus far. but it's possible I missed something.

Thank you all for your time.

Re do the fix. It will work if done properly.

I've done the fix no less than ten times. I used the iATKOS installer, unmounted in the disk utility, used the terminal, took note of what I named the device and what the hard drive's identifier was, everything. I'm not new to the command line at all. I get successful record processing messages each time.

Not at all!

Well this seems promising :). I'll try it out and let you all know.

I grabbed the Clover package from here: http://clover.inmac.org/

I used the latest package (r1211) and installed it. When I rebooted, the GPT errors were gone, but that blasted boot0 error came right back :(.

I apologize, I wish I knew better what I was doing. I've spent hours getting things in Linux to work, but I don't even know where to start with this.

Do I need to do the boot1h fix with Clover as well? If so, is it a different file?

I'm also concerned that my upgrade to 10.8.3 might be an issue. I appreciate all of you helping me, I'm very grateful for these amazing tools that people have given us for free.

• Like 1

Clover won't give you the Boot 0 error: Chameleon is taking over somehow. Clover will give you a "7" before its GUI shows up. Do the following:

1) take the smallest USB stick you got;

2) Format it as fat32;

3) Install Clover on it;

4) Boot from it, correct settings using instructions given in Clover forums on Insanelymac;

5) Using Disk Utility, resize your partitions a little: that will make Chameleon go away for good (you better have your system saved in a back up before doing that only for double precaution);

6) Put the EFI folder from Clover boot stick on the root of your HDD;

7) Enjoy!

• Like 1

Clover won't give you the Boot 0 error: Chameleon is taking over somehow. Clover will give you a "7" before its GUI shows up. Do the following:

2) Format it as fat32;

3) Install Clover on it;

4) Boot from it, correct settings using instructions given in Clover forums on Insanelymac;

5) Using Disk Utility, resize your partitions a little: that will make Chameleon go away for good (you better have your system saved in a back up before doing that only for double precaution);

7) Enjoy!

So I'm about to try this today. I happened to open up the "Customize" settings and I noticed that by default it's installing the UEFI bootloader. Does that matter? I don't have a UEFI mobo.

Can you clarify what you mean by "resize my partitions"? Do you mean just decrease the partition size by a few megs?

Thank you for your patience with me, I genuinely appreciate it.

2) Format it as fat32;

3) Install Clover on it;

7) Enjoy!

Hello again, I've been banging my head against the wall trying to get this to work. I formated as FAT32 and tried to install Clover, but I just get a black screen with a blinking cursor.

Also, I'm unsure what you mean by "correct settings using instructions given in Clover forums on Insanelymac;". I

Hi liquidsolistice, I'm in the same boat, tried boot1h method and it's not working.

However, I noticed an interesting thing : after I used 'dd' command then booting into OS x using USB installer, I couln't find boot1h in my root OS x installation drive (using ls in terminal), maybe it didn't get copied properly.

I'm going to disable journaling and try to use linux to dd boot1h and post back results.

[Edit] : I used linux's dd, still the same result "boot0 error", and it seems that dd command copy only records into disk starting from 0.

Another update, I got my problem fixed, my mac os x partition was a logical one, ( I checked before and thought it was primary, and that caused me to waste one whole day trying to figure this out :wallbash: ) so all I did was to change it to primary using MiniTool Partition Wizard under Windows and that fixed boot0 error.

Another update, I got my problem fixed, my mac os x partition was a logical one, ( I checked before and thought it was primary, and that caused me to waste one whole day trying to figure this out :wallbash: ) so all I did was to change it to primary using MiniTool Partition Wizard under Windows and that fixed boot0 error.

DAMN it. Was that what it was? I never bothered to check that (and I'm pretty sure I made it a logical partition).

I gave up and got rid of OS X because I thought it was an MBR vs GPT issue and that you couldn't properly install bootloaders for OS X on an MBR partition.

I guess I need to give this a shot again when I have some time. Do you know if your partition table is MBR or GPT?

Logical partitions (which are found within extended partitions) are only used in MBR partition table, so mine is MBR.

:turbin: You got rid of os x because of this insignificant detail, I hope you saved your working kexts and DSDT and other configs.

Well, I think this should be added in ALL CAPS in every boot0 error solution tutorial. I'm pretty sure a lot of people are doing the same mistake, and it's not mentioned in any tutorial I stumbled upon, all they mention is the 'dd' command and 'boot1h'.

Logical partitions (which are found within extended partitions) are only used in MBR partition table, so mine is MBR.

:turbin: You got rid of os x because of this insignificant details, I hope you saved your working kexts and DSDT and other configs.

Well, I think this should be added in ALL CAPS in every boot0 error solution tutorial. I'm pretty sure a lot of people are doing the same mistake, and it's not mentioned in any tutorial I stumbled upon, all they mention is the 'dd' command and 'boot1h'.

Oh, there was nothing to my install. With iAtkos, all I need to check is the NVidia drivers and everything else works perfectly out of the box, no special stuff needed. I guess I got lucky that way ;). I'll install it again later on and give that a shot.

Oh, there was nothing to my install. With iAtkos, all I need to check is the NVidia drivers and everything else works perfectly out of the box, no special stuff needed. I guess I got lucky that way ;). I'll install it again later on and give that a shot.

Okey, don't forget to update us and mark the thread as [solved] if it's the case.

• 6 months later...