• Announcements

• Allan

Forum Rules   04/13/2018

Hello folks! As some things are being fixed, we'll keep you updated. Per hour the Forum Rules don't have a dedicated "Tab", so here is the place that we have our Rules back. New Users Lounge > [READ] - InsanelyMac Forum Rules - The InsanelyMac Staff Team. 
renjithis

Manual hackintosh installer USB creation - kernel panic

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am trying to create a mountain lion (10.8.3 or 10.8.0) hackintosh USB. These are the steps that I followed :

created 2 partitions : 200mb and rest of the pendrive (15GB)

marked 200mb partition as bootable

formated both as hfs+

dd if=boot0 of=/dev/disk1 bs=440 count=1

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/disk1s1

mounted 200mb partition and copied boot

mounted 15GB partition

mounted BaseSystem.dmg anc copied its contents into 15GB partition using rsync -Pah

removed System/Installation/Packages

copied Packages from mounted InstallESD.dmg to System/Installation (again using rsync -Pah)

copied mach_kernel from InstallESD.dmg to 15gb partition

I tried using cp -a instead of rsync, but no success.

The chameleon/chimera starts successfully, but would kernel panic just after the installer boot process creates RAM Disks. please see the attached image

post-930818-0-22935000-1365166843_thumb.jpg

hello

something wrong there...

why don't u use pandora ?

http://www.insanelym.../11-pandoraapp/

good hack

I would like to learn to do it manually. I have used utilities like #####, myHack, etc, but want to know how these applications do it. Can you tell me what is wrong and how I can correct it?

PS : Where can I get the source code for Pandora.app ?

Thanks...

After reading http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/ , I thought OSx86 supported Pandora app because it was OSS. Sorry for the misunderstanding

The major difference I can see from the Olarila post method and the one I used seems to be copying the contents of BaseSystem.dmg. While I was copying the contents after mounting, they recomend restoring the DMG to the destination partition. I will check it out

Thank you for the answers, I was able to create the USB manually. As described in the linked posts, the USB boots properly when BaseSystem.dmg is restored to the drive, instead of rsync ing it like I was doing. Does this mean that BaseSystem.dmg has some non-file data (like boot sector data, etc) that won't get copied to USB when using rsync?

When I tried to extract the BaseSystem.dmg using pk7zip (in Linux), I got a few files in a directory named '[]' with the filenames containing Inode-<somenumber> these files and the directory '[]' are not exactly files that are seen when BaseSystem.dmg is mounted.