802.11 N in 24 in iMacs?

Bartboy919

12 posts in this topic

Interesting, but unfortunately Im not all that good with tech specs so would someone enlighten me about why 802.11 n is going to be better than 802.11g, and if theres going to be an increase of diseases due to all those radio waves and such we're blasting all over the world due to wi-fi?

Interesting, but unfortunately Im not all that good with tech specs so would someone enlighten me about why 802.11 n is going to be better than 802.11g,

Only higher speed and longer range. Nothing major ;-}

and if theres going to be an increase of diseases due to all those radio waves and such we're blasting all over the world due to wi-fi?

Who knows...

Why is this so much a big deal suddenly? I guess its because its Apple. ;)

Dell has been offering 802.11n cards for quite a while.

And it's all kinda meaningless anyway, the 802.11n standard still hasn't been finalized, all these cards may not even be compatible with the final standard when it happens...

Peace

Why is this so much a big deal suddenly? I guess its because its Apple. :blink:

Dell has been offering 802.11n cards for quite a while.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1990327,00.asp

Its a big deal because apple likes having their products working 100% of the time. when the real n specs get out there will be masses of people why their iMacs wont work with their n routers.

Its a big deal because apple likes having their products working 100% of the time. when the real n specs get out there will be masses of people why their iMacs wont work with their n routers.

yep exactly. just like early g recevers were not compatable with final g routers :sorcerer:

max

i read about this. supposedly the cards out now are "draft-n" it's basically a developers preproduction package that may or may not be upgradable to final specs. the finalised wireless-n cards won't be available until late 2007/early 2008 (according to an article by pc world)

i wouldn't waste my money getting a preproduction piece

Interesting, but unfortunately Im not all that good with tech specs so would someone enlighten me about why 802.11 n is going to be better than 802.11g, and if theres going to be an increase of diseases due to all those radio waves and such we're blasting all over the world due to wi-fi?

just like how 802.11a was better than 802.11g in terms of speed, 802.11n is going to be better than 802.11a in terms of range. i don't think that it will be any faster than 802.11a though...

it's really stupid that all those companies are releasing products based on a draft, i know they want to make money but it's irresponsible. true if you buy a router and card from the same company it will work, but the final spec may have better performance and all those companies screwed it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11n

200 to 500 Mbits per second sounds pretty nice to me, and nearly 50% more range.

I'd hesitate to speculate (I'm a poet, doncha know it) and say that the cards inside iMacs are firmware upgradeable to the final 11n standard, but one can hope.

I'll find out next week if the 24" iMac has an 11n in it but it's useless for the most part: I have an 11g router than works fine and I have no intentions of spending the money for an 11n router anytime soon.

Hell, my cable connection is 6 Mbit/s down and 512 Kbit/s up, soooo... :compress:

bb