Driver for LSI MegaRAID SAS family

dukzcry

402 posts in this topic

I've tried a lot to attempt to get it authenticated but no anvil. 

Thanks I will try reaching him, or somebody else to to an XCode build for me, or I'll build it on attempt to build it on Mavericks. 

Hi guys,

I am currently using it with 10.10 DP5 and have been using it with all of the previous DP versions. The trick is to use it with Clover bootloader in the EFI/Clover/kexts/10.10 folder, this way you don't need to use any kernel parameters to force OSX to load the unsigned kexts.

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I was wondering if this kext will work with OS X 10.9.2 on a Z87 motherboard and a Dell Perc 5i 8 port card.  I don't really need RAID - just a good solid SATA controller.

It works fine at OS X 10.9.x with Perc 5. This card provides RAID mode only, but you can just make RAIDs consisting of single drives, so you'll able to achieve your goal.

Hi - don't know if this thread is still active, but if so, firstly, hello and much kudos to you, dukzcry.

I'm in a similar situation to brickbat - trying to build an 8-bay media rig to run Mavericks and ZFS - bought a RR2720SGL which initially runs fine and all disks pass through happily enough, but it seems to only work properly under Windoze - keeps spitting out disks under load if used in OSX, UnRAID etc.

I would happily go down the better-known (more expensive) HBA route, if I could figure out which of the current LSI (or rebranded) cards would be supported by the AppleLSIFusionMPT kext.

I know this is off-topic for this thread, being a non-RAID question, but was hoping you or someone else may have a recommendation as to a potential card for this use-case, as I have been searching for hours and getting not very far... seems info relating to Mavericks is a bit thin,

Any help or pointers appreciated.

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard,

I would happily go down the better-known (more expensive) HBA route, if I could figure out which of the current LSI (or rebranded) cards would be supported by the AppleLSIFusionMPT kext.

I know this is off-topic for this thread, being a non-RAID question, but was hoping you or someone else may have a recommendation as to a potential card for this use-case, as I have been searching for hours and getting not very far... seems info relating to Mavericks is a bit thin

I haven't seen anything special to the Mavericks support too.

Maybe worth to ask here? http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/94679-sas-controllers-w-efi-for-mac-os-x-osx86-solutions/

I have a Dell SAS 6/ir which is an LSI 1068e SAS card, however I can not get it in Mavericks, though that might be my PCI tables being improperly detected...

Could you take a DevID of your card? http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285197-driver-for-lsi-megaraid-sas-family/?p=2026275 just to eliminate possible unidentification.

Hi Richard,

How do you mean? There is one disabled optimization for a heavy ZFS usage in the code of my kext, but it haven't been tested yet. If you're interesting, i may give you a build where it's enabled.

Hi, thanks for the reply. As I am still at the experimental stage, I'd be happy to help try anything out, no risk to my "production" deployment ;-)

To be clearer tho on my experience, I am currently using the RR2720 with whatever native drivers there are in Mavericks. I had a look through the default kexts, but couldn't see which one it was using. I know that strictly speaking it's not supported, but the eSATA version is, and they are basically the same card afaik.

But the card seems to only work under Winbloze, and fails under OSX or Linux even without ZFS. I kick off a large copy from two disks on the controller, and it inevitably fails one of the disks, even though they otherwise seem ok. They can be brought back online etc, no issues.

I thought it might have been something in the firmware, as you used to be able to flash the v1.0 of these cards to a non-raid (HBA mode?), but that can't be done with the v2.0 that I got, and as it works in Windoze, it can't be physical incompatibility.

I did spot a read / write timeout parameter in the AppleLSI kexts, appears to be 30s. I thought if there was something similar in the RR kexts, and ERC/TLER on the drive was less than this, that the drive could fail out before the driver did, causing the issue?

I haven't seen anything special to the Mavericks support too.

Maybe worth to ask here? http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/94679-sas-controllers-w-efi-for-mac-os-x-osx86-solutions/

Had a look there, looks like the IBM BR10i might be worth a punt, thanks for the pointer.

Regards

Richard

Hi, thanks for the reply. As I am still at the experimental stage, I'd be happy to help try anything out, no risk to my "production" deployment ;-)

To be clearer tho on my experience, I am currently using the RR2720 with whatever native drivers there are in Mavericks. I had a look through the default kexts, but couldn't see which one it was using. I know that strictly speaking it's not supported, but the eSATA version is, and they are basically the same card afaik.

But the card seems to only work under Winbloze, and fails under OSX or Linux even without ZFS. I kick off a large copy from two disks on the controller, and it inevitably fails one of the disks, even though they otherwise seem ok. They can be brought back online etc, no issues.

I thought it might have been something in the firmware, as you used to be able to flash the v1.0 of these cards to a non-raid (HBA mode?), but that can't be done with the v2.0 that I got, and as it works in Windoze, it can't be physical incompatibility.

I did spot a read / write timeout parameter in the AppleLSI kexts, appears to be 30s. I thought if there was something similar in the RR kexts, and ERC/TLER on the drive was less than this, that the drive could fail out before the driver did, causing the issue?

Had a look there, looks like the IBM BR10i might be worth a punt, thanks for the pointer.

Regards

Richard

Ah, i was blind.

Have you tried to get in touch with some RR owner or their support? It's a pity that developer hadn't well tested their device and driver under the various conditions.

As for purchasing of a new card, i'm not sure if something supported by applelsi* kexts will be better then well-proven and still supported 3rd-party solution, as Apple dropped usage of PCI in favor of Thunderbolt.

Attached is the kext rebuild for Yosemite DP7, built with Xcode 6.1 beta 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k454sgxug0rck98/SASMegaRAID?dl=0

Nice. Have you seen a need in this fix: https://github.com/dukzcry/osx-goodies/pull/4 on 10.10?

Ah, i was blind.

Have you tried to get in touch with some RR owner or their support? It's a pity that developer hadn't well tested their device and driver under the various conditions.

I hadn't considered Highpoint support, given I was running an unsupported card, on an unsupported OS/hardware platform...

As for purchasing of a new card, i'm not sure if something supported by applelsi* kexts will be better then well-proven and still supported 3rd-party solution, as Apple dropped usage of PCI in favor of Thunderbolt.

Problem is, I don't know of any 8-port (internal) PCI SAS/SATA cards that are supported either natively or by Apple kexts, given they never built a machine that could house 8 drives.

My next thought is to get a card supported in ESXi, and just run it as a VM with RDM disks. Any other suggestions appreciated.

Regards

Richard

Ah, i was blind.

Nice. Have you seen a need in this fix: https://github.com/dukzcry/osx-goodies/pull/4 on 10.10?

Not at all, everything is working like a charm

• 2 weeks later...

Here i will report about my progress of working on driver for LSI MegaRAID SAS (not Fusion MPT) family of controllers called SASMegaRAID.kext. This one was requested few times at InsanelyMac and other Mac-related communities.

Most of info is provided in README.

Installer (which consists of kext and management util) and debug version of kext are here.

Source code: github.com/druga/osx-goodies/tree/master/raid.

Powering a Dell PERC 5 card with single disk attached:

a7e247d23467d7df8e3d0c82a683ec67.jpeg

P.S.: By the way, talking of PERCs: how to get hardware PCI-E RAID controller under $50, not an advert.

Progress:

25.12.12: Adjusted constraints

06.01.13: Got rid of DMA buffers copying

03.03.13: Fixed message signaled interrupts

05.03.13: Added 64-bit LBA support

03.04.13: Added support for mfiutil to the driver

10.04.13: Finished the project

F.A.Q.:

Q: Why do i need this driver? There is an AppleLSIFusionMPT already.

A: You need to use mine if you have non-Fusion card. See this.

Q: Any chance to make cards based on SAS2208 chip work?

A: The chip belongs to the same family, but it requires a lot of handling different from common handling for supported cards. Adding it's support to the current driver will lead to code bloat. One who wants support for this chip may write separate driver based on my work.

Q: Is pass-through mode supported?

A: No it isn't. See explanation in linked post.

Q: Is it possible to push more from my setup?

A: It may be.

The plist from "Unsafe settings unlocked.zip" allows tweaking of dangerous options. Before playing with them you need to detach all HDDs with critical data and attach some spare HDD for doing the tweaks. The "MaxSGL" option is number of scatter gather list entries you controller can handle. The "MaxTransferSize" determines the maximum size of data transfer (in bytes) per request your controller can catch. If you set them to some enormously big value then they will be truncated to the max your hardware can achieve (may still be not safe enough for successful data transfers). "MaxTransferSizePerSegment" does the same but for a single SGL entry (will never be larger than MaxTransferSize). For the tests you need to stick to the system.log and start a transfer of a >= 100gb data. If the settings you set are inappropriate, you'll see the I/O errors.

Q: The driver loads but my device doesn't show up in profiler. What should i do?

A: Are you looking for your device under Parallel SCSI? Because you should!

If it's not a case, try inverting "PreferMSI" key value. It's under "Settings" dictionary in kext's plist.

Q: Can't find my device under SAS, SATA or Apple RAID in Profiler.

A: You should check under Parallel SCSI instead. See details.

Q: Ok, it shows now and i have my RAIDs configured, but OS X doesn't see them!

A: Are you sure you set the volumes you'd like to see as virtual (logical) disks in controller's BIOS? See question on pass-through upper.

Q: Done, but still the same issue.

A: Your firmware may not to use contiguous drive enumeration. Try "Uncontiguous enumeration.zip" by download link at the begin. See full issue report.

Q: My Mac stopped to go sleep after i've used your kext.

A: This is awaited. See this post for reasoning. If you meet mentioned requirement, download "Unsafe sleep enabled.zip" and try.

Can you upload these to a place that doesn't limit the amount of downloads please?

• Like 1

Can you upload these to a place that doesn't limit the amount of downloads please?

Thanks for reporting. Indeed it's limited even for a registered user  :(

Moved here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/306-sasmegaraidkext/

P.S.: Thanks for uploading Yosemite version! http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/307-sasmegaraidkext/

Thanks for reporting. Indeed it's limited even for a registered user  :(

Moved here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/306-sasmegaraidkext/

P.S.: Thanks for uploading Yosemite version! http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/307-sasmegaraidkext/

No problem, I also added the memory allocation fix that was posted.

Also would like to report that for some reason for my PERC 5i I have to format the VD in Windows before OS X would even see the VDs.  OS X does see the card but not the VDs unless I format them in Windows.

Edited by Pavo

No problem, I also added the memory allocation fix that was posted.

Also would like to report that for some reason for my PERC 5i I have to format the VD in Windows before OS X would even see the VDs.  OS X does see the card but not the VDs unless I format them in Windows.

Hmm, i've no ideas on this atm. I can say that creating VDs in controller BIOS and formatting via Disk Utility to the fs of choice works. Maybe the size of raid is the thing that makes a mess.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

would it be possible to support LSI megaraid 9341-8i card? It uses SAS3008 chip, PCI info looks like this

02:00.0 RAID bus controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic Unknown device 005f (rev 02)

Subsystem: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic Unknown device 9341

Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 32

I/O ports at d000

Memory at fb600000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)

Memory at fb700000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)

Expansion ROM at fb600000 [disabled]

Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3

Capabilities: [68] Express Endpoint, MSI 00

Capabilities: [d0] Vital Product Data <?>

Capabilities: [a8] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask+ 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-

Capabilities: [c0] MSI-X: Enable- Mask- TabSize=97

Capabilities: [100] #1000

Capabilities: [005] #1000

I would like to help, but not sure where to start. Would it be possible to add support for it to this project or would it need a new one? What did you used as start, some linux open source driver?

Thanks
E.

Hi,

would it be possible to support LSI megaraid 9341-8i card? It uses SAS3008 chip, PCI info looks like this

02:00.0 RAID bus controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic Unknown device 005f (rev 02)

Subsystem: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic Unknown device 9341

Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 32

I/O ports at d000

Memory at fb600000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)

Memory at fb700000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)

Expansion ROM at fb600000 [disabled]

Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3

Capabilities: [68] Express Endpoint, MSI 00

Capabilities: [d0] Vital Product Data <?>

Capabilities: [a8] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask+ 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-

Capabilities: [c0] MSI-X: Enable- Mask- TabSize=97

Capabilities: [100] #1000

Capabilities: [005] #1000

I would like to help, but not sure where to start. Would it be possible to add support for it to this project or would it need a new one? What did you used as start, some linux open source driver?

Thanks
E.

Hi,

It has been answered (with links and explanations) here: https://github.com/dukzcry/osx-goodies/issues/5 As short answer - yes and no, you'll need to build your own driver either from scratch or using my code. With later, you'll need to rewrite some parts of the code to match the needs of "Thunderbolt" series of controllers. After that, adding SAS3008 support should be trivially easy.

At the moment i've started writing the kext there was no public documentation from lsi available for my work (i don't know the current situation), so yes, i've looked at existing open source drivers to understand what should i do. At least linux, *BSD and Solaris have drivers for MegaRAID. Note that both linux and FreeBSD drivers are large and bloated, not sure about Solaris one.

Hi guys,

I am currently using it with 10.10 DP5 and have been using it with all of the previous DP versions. The trick is to use it with Clover bootloader in the EFI/Clover/kexts/10.10 folder, this way you don't need to use any kernel parameters to force OSX to load the unsigned kexts.

Cheers!

Another variant is use of 'kext-dev-mode=1' boot argument. It's also the only solution for real macs: sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"

Hi everybody.

I have my mackintosh running except my raid card. I have a LSI 9270 8i. I believe this card is not compatible , but I´m not sure.

Well , I have two questions:

Can I discard my 9270 card definitely? Could it work in somehow?

If the answer is "no" If I have to discard LSI 9270 definitely.... I´m searching a lsi 2960 8i in ebay. But they have a "modelnumber" in specifications.... sometimes "LSI00198 (LSI00202)"  or "LSI00197 (LSI00201)"  etc ... is it important?... Do I have to choose a specifical "model number" ?

Thanks

Hi, bilbo.

I'm not aware of a driver for OS X with Thunderbolt support. So at least these controllers:

* Dell PERC H810

* Dell PERC H710
* LSI MegaRAID SAS 9265
* LSI MegaRAID SAS 9266
* LSI MegaRAID SAS 9267
* LSI MegaRAID SAS 9270
* LSI MegaRAID SAS 9271
* LSI MegaRAID SAS 9272
* LSI MegaRAID SAS 9285
* LSI MegaRAID SAS 9286
* Intel RAID Controller RS25DB080
* Intel RAID Controller RS25NB008

shouldn't work.

As for "model numbers", no idea. Maybe these are just revision-based part numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally bought LSI 9260 8i. Card is shown in system profiler but system can't detect logical volume. Something really weird is happening:

-I installed card on PCI slot. I use 6 disks (2tb). After installation and configuration of logical volume (raid 5) , on windows, using LSI app,  card seems work. I formated it using 1 partition, ntfs. All OK

-I rebooted on hackintosh ... and bingo !!!! logical volume is on the desktop. I used diskutility to re-partitioned and re-format it "mac style". Gpt table, and exfat FS. I tested with aja system test with a good perfomance. Really happy.

- I rebooted on Win again to continue perform some adjusts on my system (I'm re configuring windows).... but the pc doesn't boot ??? . It stucks after bios card load , before system bios load. Really weird. I ended up to extract the card from slot... and pc boot ... I mount again the card on slot.... pc doesn't boot. I unplug sata HD connectors.... pc boot ????. I plug again the HDs, and in bios card, I delete the logical volume. Reboot and .... pc boot normally again. 

-Ooooook. 2nd round. On Win, I set up again the raid. Same settings. All seems well again. Raid ok, partition ok, format ok.  I reboot from time to time to test the boot of the PC. No problem.

- I reboot on Mac ... and nothing happens. Card is still shown in system profiler but system now can't see logical volume. ???? After a few tries... no improves. Stucked here.

The only difference between first and second try was I performed a full initialization ( 20 hours !!) . At second try I performed an initialization on background.  I could creat the logical Volume inmediatly and I did the partition and the formatting (on Win, sure) . Anyway , I waited for the end of the proccess performing boring tasks on windows... updating, installing apps, etc. After 8-9 hours the process finished. With the commented result.

More info:

Disk util doesn't show any volume.

Card shown on system profiler

SCSI Parallel Domain 0:

Product:	LSI MegaRAID SAS 9260-8i
  Revision:	Firmware 12.7.0-0007
  Initiator Identifier:	65
  Description:	Cache 512MB RAM

I've seen on one previous post one capture showing a more recent firmware.. Should I update the firmware?

this is the log  of sas megaraid boot

11/1/14 1:41:31.000 AM kernel[0]: [SASMegaRAID] [Helper] MSI IR line: 1
11/1/14 1:41:31.000 AM kernel[0]: [SASMegaRAID] DMA: 64-bit, max commands: 1008, max SGE count: 33
11/1/14 1:41:31.000 AM kernel[0]: [SASMegaRAID] 6 of PDs present
11/1/14 1:41:31.000 AM kernel[0]: [SASMegaRAID] Enabled options: Alarm  Auto Rebuild  Expose Enclosure Devices  
11/1/14 1:41:31.000 AM kernel[0]: [SASMegaRAID] BBU not present/read error

Log seem miss the BBU ????? I dont have battery. I disable the cache on raid config , sure. Anyway every log of this day, including this morning, when it worked, show the same info.

These are the setting of the raid:

strip size>64k

read policy> no read ahead

write policy>write thought

IO policy> Direct IO

Disk Cache>Disabled.

Just in case, I tried with Uncontiguous enumeration kext but it stuck the boot (blank screen before of desktop load ) Anyway, I use contiguous numeration connectors.

I can't explain why system could see raid at first attempt , and now it can't see it.

I need help here. Thanks

bilbo,

Had you tried to do initial setup using card BIOS and not lsi program for windows (preferably using default volume settings for the test time)? Better to do fast init to avoid waste of time. What if you set PreferMSI=false in kext plist properties, does it improve anything? Just in case...

I've seen on one previous post one capture showing a more recent firmware.. Should I update the firmware?

You may try. You may also contact the person with a card of subject and ask about settings etc.

Log seem miss the BBU ????? I dont have battery.

Then you should just ignore the error.

After tests and tests ,I finally found a workaround to got Raid working. 

1- I re- configured the raid, using raid bios. I used sighly different settings changing write policies , but anything important. 6 disks in raid 5.

2- I reboot on win and mac. Both systems detect new volume. Both show me the dialog to initializate. I decide do it in Windows, with windows disk utlity. Just initializate. Not partitions.

3- I reboot and mac. All OK. Disk utility can see volume

4- Again in windows, I did the partitions. Two partitions in my case. With nfts FS.

5- Rebooting in Mac ... Bingo. Everything seems OK.

Now. On mac, with disk utility, I delete the volume , partitioning it again. So disk utility writes again partition table. I use gpt, of course. Result at next boot:  Boot procces stops again at LSI bios loading :surprised: . No way.

-I discovered I didn't need disconnect HD to acces bios. I need just press ctrl-H before of bios card load process, and keep it pressing. Again, I repeat whole process.

- Again on point 5, I try to avoid make partitions. Just format. But I can't do it. But I get "can't erase (mediakit reports not enough space on device for requested operation)" error.

- I decide do all process in windows. One important thing here. On my prevoius post I explained that mac could't see volume on my second try. I used one utility on windows to make "exotic" partitions and format (I need exfat and ext3). Now I think this utility was the guilty. So I decide be carefull with this kind of utilities. After think about that I decide trust in gparted. I reboot using a live ubuntu , I format one of my partitions in ext3. Always without touch volume structure. Just format. I haven't found a trustly way to format in exfat , so I decide use nfts for the other partition and use paragon nfts in mac.

-Everything is ok. I have my Raid mounted on mac. First test give me similar read/write results than in Win. I have to test it working.

In short: Bios LSI doesn't like how mac disk utility makes table partition and/or structure. I realize it is sighly different than in windows (different first primary partition size ).

My workaround: perform raid in bios card > Initialize and make the partitions just using windows disk utiliy> Use gparted to format partitions if use HFS or exotic FS, always without touch table partition, just to format.

... and I have to express my gratitude to dukzcry. To have my raid working is my fundamental to my hackintosh project. It doesn't make sense without a raid. Using LSI card is important for me because these are the supported card on my workstations, needed to keep compatibilitie with linux too ( I use linux on my workstation too!!) . Use LSI card on mac was my dream. Same raid with win/mac/linux. So thank you , duckzcry, for waste your time ....  ;)  :)

• Like 1

Thank you soooo much DuckCrzy for creating and maintaining this project and your thread for so many years. Thanks to your work, I was able to successfully to get my rig running without any issues.

I'd like you or someone smarter myself, to comment on how to deal with TRIM to an SSD RAID-1 VD in relation topics within this thread. I did add the Chimera plugin for 10.10 but not seeing TRIM enabled in SCSI drive info in System Information. And yea, TRIM is activated with Samsung 840-Pro 128 & 256 SSDs connected to motherboard SATA ports.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6161/intel-brings-trim-to-raid0-ssd-arrays-on-7series-motherboards-we-test-it

Relevant items in my rig:

OSX Yosemite 10.10

i7-4770k on GA-Z87-UD4H, F9

Dell PERC H700 FW 12.10.06

-> 2x Western Digital 1TB WD1003FZEX 1TB in RAID-1

-> 2x Intel 530 128GB SSD in RAID-1 (this is my boot drive for OS X Yosemite; built w/ Chimera)

Thank you soooo much DuckCrzy for creating and maintaining this project and your thread for so many years. Thanks to your work, I was able to successfully to get my rig running without any issues.

I'd like you or someone smarter myself, to comment on how to deal with TRIM to an SSD RAID-1 VD in relation topics within this thread. I did add the Chimera plugin for 10.10 but not seeing TRIM enabled in SCSI drive info in System Information. And yea, TRIM is activated with Samsung 840-Pro 128 & 256 SSDs connected to motherboard SATA ports.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6161/intel-brings-trim-to-raid0-ssd-arrays-on-7series-motherboards-we-test-it

Relevant items in my rig:

OSX Yosemite 10.10

i7-4770k on GA-Z87-UD4H, F9

Dell PERC H700 FW 12.10.06

-> 2x Western Digital 1TB WD1003FZEX 1TB in RAID-1

-> 2x Intel 530 128GB SSD in RAID-1 (this is my boot drive for OS X Yosemite; built w/ Chimera)

Unfortunately, i don't have experience with SSD, TRIM and RAID controllers which support TRIM. But to say simple, my driver doesn't tamper into the communication between OS and virtual drives, except for some wrapping. So, OS X should see what your controller gives it.

In my understanding, if your SSD drives provide TRIM, H700 supports TRIM and it doesn't require an additional support from the driver, then it should function, otherwise - no go.

H700 supports TRIM [ ...] - no go.

That statment is correct. Just two minutes ago, I read the H310 is the one that plays nice with TRIM. However the H310 doesn't have CacheCade but the H700 (int-dual SFF-8087) does have CacheCade. I assume this has something to do with the fact TRIM is a function/facility of the OS and won't be able to work itself into the adapter's "virtual disks." Non-RAID SSDs may be has OS TRIM support but I'm no expert.

I would very much like to pay you a small bit for what you've done here. Not a rich man but will happily pay for something that was critical to a personal project. If not you, I'll gladly make a donation in your "name" to a charity of your choice that accepts PayPal.

Here's a easy list but only US-based groups: https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/search-cause

• Like 1